Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aprilaire or Venstar

Hello,

I was already to pull the trigger on an Aprilaire 8800 thermostat but ran across the Venstar T7900 with Humidity, color screen and an API.

I would have done the HS3 Aprilaire plugin but now I'm thinking to goto the Venstar for a WiFi solution and then if there is no HS3 plugin, build one.

Anyone have any pro's/con's with either thermostats? I'm leaning towards the Venstar t7900... for now. I have an Aprilaire 800 humidifier to control too.

-Thanks, Matt

Well after further review, I like the Venstart7900 and would purchase this thermostat moving forward except for the cloud based (SkyPort) communications.

I already have the Honeywell (RTH9580WF). Honeywell won't release the API and makes changes that cause issues with any plugins written against it. I can see Skyport going down the same path and even charging for it's service.

So it looks like it's back to Aprilaire 8800 and a non-cloud solution.

Matt

Comment

http://developer.venstar.com/.
      There are some scripts here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167188)

regards

Mats

Comment

Thanks for the info. I really am swaying towards the Venstar. I did buy some of the Aprilaire setup but held off on the thermostat. Im going to do the Venstar and write the plugin.

Matt

EDIT: Ordered the T7900. I have "signed" up for doing the HS3 plugin for this. Hope I'm not the only one who will benefit )
        Last edited by mattm55; February 3, 2016, 07:47 AM.

Comment

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI Matt,

I was minutes away from purchasing a Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat so that I could integrate it into HS3. I have a Venstar T5900 which I LOVE! I don't want to get rid of it, but with not having the ability to integrate it into my HS3 system, it felt pointless to keep it.

So seeing that someone may successfully develop a plugin, I am holding off on getting rid of my much loved Venstar.

If you need someone to help test it out, please let me know. I hope that the API is similar enough for your model and my model that it works. I think you will have quite a few people interested in the plugin. I will certainly purchase the plugin if it works with my Venstar.

I am really only looking to be able to change thermostat setpoint up and down, change humidity level up and down, and view the current temp. I think I can set the schedule in the thermostat so using HS Touch to control it would only override it temporarily until the next scheduled event.

Thank you and I look forward to this highly anticipated plugin!

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
          Thanks for the info. I really am swaying towards the Venstar. I did buy some of the Aprilaire setup but held off on the thermostat. Im going to do the Venstar and write the plugin.

Matt

EDIT: Ordered the T7900. I have "signed" up for doing the HS3 plugin for this. Hope I'm not the only one who will benefit )

Comment

That's great to hear. I like my Honeywell but keeping the API to oneself is a downer. It will be up for sale once I convert over.

The plugin will be free as is the other stuff I work on.

Hopefully the Venstar API will be close and we can get as many models covered as we can.

Hang tite as I have to swap the thermostats and get setup first.

-Matt

Comment

I have now started a new thread with the HS3 Venstar Thermostat plugin.

Plugin Thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=179993
              Last edited by mattm55; February 25, 2016, 01:31 PM. Reason: Thread Link

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                We do get the occasional request for Aprilaire support but I don't think we've ever had a request for support of this. FYI
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                X