Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing legacy 3-way switches with single WS100+/WS100+/GE26931

Guys

Just wanting some quick validation here. I have another somewhat annoying wiring situation in my garage. I have an old school 3-way setup, with the primary switch location having the 14/2 line input and 14/3 output at the front of the garage. We NEVER use this switch.

At the other end of the garage, I have the location 2 switch where we enter the house. This only has a single 14/3 cable with nothing else close by.

I think it's wired with the classic light in the middle scenario like Diag. 1, though I will definitely head up into the garage loft to check that before proceeding.

I am going to replace the location 2 switch with a GE26931 Z+ Motion Switch, which typically wires the same as the HS switches and other GE switches. I can't replace the location 1 switch as that is frequently obscured and it won't trip on the motion sensor. To implement the 3-way with the new switch I would need 4 conductors + ground at location 2 and I don't have that.

My thinking therefore is to remove the location 1 switch entirely and let the motion sensor do it's job from location 2. That means I don't need a traveller and I should be able to re-jig the existing wiring so that I have line/load/neutral at location 2.

Diag. 2 shows what I think I need to do. I will flip the red/black in real life - the diagram was easier to modify this way!

Of course, I may find that this is wired completely differently when I get to the light fittings, but if not, any thoughts on this solution?

Cheers
    James
    Attached Files
    cheeryfool

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
    Guys

Just wanting some quick validation here. I have another somewhat annoying wiring situation in my garage. I have an old school 3-way setup, with the primary switch location having the 14/2 line input and 14/3 output at the front of the garage. We NEVER use this switch.

At the other end of the garage, I have the location 2 switch where we enter the house. This only has a single 14/3 cable with nothing else close by.

I think it's wired with the classic light in the middle scenario like Diag. 1, though I will definitely head up into the garage loft to check that before proceeding.

I am going to replace the location 2 switch with a GE26931 Z+ Motion Switch, which typically wires the same as the HS switches and other GE switches. I can't replace the location 1 switch as that is frequently obscured and it won't trip on the motion sensor. To implement the 3-way with the new switch I would need 4 conductors + ground at location 2 and I don't have that.

My thinking therefore is to remove the location 1 switch entirely and let the motion sensor do it's job from location 2. That means I don't need a traveller and I should be able to re-jig the existing wiring so that I have line/load/neutral at location 2.

Diag. 2 shows what I think I need to do. I will flip the red/black in real life - the diagram was easier to modify this way!

Of course, I may find that this is wired completely differently when I get to the light fittings, but if not, any thoughts on this solution?

Cheers
    James
    Your diagram 2 is correct, if that is how the 2 switchboxes are wired. Then just put a blank cover on switch location 1.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Your diagram 2 is correct, if that is how the 2 switchboxes are wired. Then just put a blank cover on switch location 1.
      Thanks Randy.

Time for a trip to the garage loft - my favourite place on the whole property - NOT!
      cheeryfool

Comment

The garage loft reccy confirms 12/3 line from switch location one to load one, to load 2, to switch location two. I haven't done the phase 2 exploration up a 12 foot ladder yet, but I think this new diagram will be where I end up. I changed the line over to black and am now using red for the load.
        Attached Files
        cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
        X