What is Bitcoin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Bitcoin?

Found myself asking this question this morning as I know nothing about it.

So I googled it.

Bitcoin (sign: ; code: BTC) is a cryptocurrency where the creation and transfer of bitcoins is based on an open-source cryptographic protocol that is independent of any central authority. Bitcoins can be transferred through a computer or smartphone without an intermediate financial institution.[7] The concept was introduced in a 2008 paper by a pseudonymous developer known only as "Satoshi Nakamoto", who called it a peer-to-peer, electronic cash system.[1][8][9]
    The processing of Bitcoin transactions is secured by servers called bitcoin miners. These servers communicate over an internet-based network and confirm transactions by adding them to a ledger which is updated and archived periodically using peer-to-peer filesharing technology.[2] In addition to archiving transactions, each new ledger update creates some newly minted bitcoins. The number of new bitcoins created in each update is halved every 4 years until the year 2140 when this number will round down to zero. At that time no more bitcoins will be added into circulation and the total number of bitcoins will have reached a maximum of 21 million bitcoins.[1][10] To accommodate this limit, each bitcoin is subdivided down to eight decimal places; forming 100 million smaller units called satoshis per bitcoin.[4]
    Bitcoin is accepted in trade by merchants and individuals in many parts of the world. Like other currencies, illicit drug and gambling transactions constitute some of its commercial usage.[11][12][13][14] Although the bitcoin is promoted as a digital currency, many commentators have criticized the bitcoin's volatile exchange rate, relatively inflexible supply, high risk of loss, and minimal use in trade.[15][16][17][18][19]

History
    Bitcoin is the first practical implementation of a cryptocurrency, a form of money that uses cryptography to control its creation and management, rather than relying on central authorities. However, not all of the technologies and concepts that make up Bitcoin are new; Satoshi Nakamoto integrated many existing ideas from the cypherpunk community when creating Bitcoin.[21]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

Found a video about it too on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

It is / was suggested as one of the few 'anonymous' currencies, that if you got through cash could be untraceable and for that reason (amongst a few) I believe it has been banned as a currency, or some places are looking at banning it, another reason is that there is no central administration of the currency.

There was a stage that the currency had a huge value (in terms of currency exchange), and even have a feeling I heard about someone buying a Ferrari using bitcoins, but i believe the exchange rate for bitcoins has fallen a significant amount.
    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Bitcoin now 'unit of account' in Germany

This morning I heard this on the radio; along with the words that Bitcoin is most resilent international money that exist today.

This does makes sense in the global volatile economies that exists today.

Germany's ministry of finance has recognised Bitcoin, meaning it will be able to tax users or creators of the virtual money currency Bitcoin as a "unit of account" which can be used for private transactions – meaning that the ministry will now be able to tax users or creators of the four-year-old virtual money.
      However, companies wanting to use it for commercial transactions would need permission from the Federal Financial Supervision Authority.
      The Frankfurter Allgemeine newspaper reported on the decision, which follows scrutiny of Bitcoin's potential usefulness as digital money.
      Bitcoin is an online token which can be used and exchanged for goods and services in the same way as standard currencies.
      However, it has no issuing bank; the currency is created by computers performing complex mathematical problems. Transactions are carried out by transferring a unique number within the Bitcoin network from one electronic "wallet" – on a computer or phone – to another.
      Each of the 10m Bitcoins in existence is presently worth about $117. New coins are "mined" by setting computers to find new solutions to the maths problem.
      While not putting Bitcoins on the same footing as formal currencies such as the pound or dollar, Germany's move does mean that people who have speculated in the online cryptocurrency could be liable for capital gains taxes if they sell them less than a year after acquiring them.
      People who have held on to them for longer will not be liable, the ministry told German MP Frank Schaeffler, who raised the question with the ministry. German authorities are trying to work out how – or whether – they could determine taxes due on Bitcoin transactions between individuals.
      One key problem would be identifying when users have carried out such transactions, given that Bitcoin wallets are effectively anonymous.
      US authorities have also been studying Bitcoin following fears that it could be used for money laundering or passing funds outside tax oversight.
      A judge in the US recently ruled that Bitcoin does amount to "a currency or form of money" in a preliminary hearing over a man in Texas, Trendon Shavers, who is accused by the US financial watchdog, the Securities and Exchange Commission, of running a pyramid scheme masquerading as a Bitcoin investment company.
      In contrast with Germany, Thailand's central bank declared in July that it was illegal to trade Bitcoins, use them to buy or sell goods or services in the country, or "move them in or out of the country".
      http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ccount-germany
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

A friend at work just built a special computer to "mine" these type coins... not Bitcoins but something similar called Litecoins. He says Bitcoins are too complex and take too long. His computer has 4 video cards doing the number crunching. He figured out the power requirements and cost of the computer and at the rise of complexity of the Litecoins and if it stays current he should profit $4,000 in a year.

I told him I didn't understand how that could be possible because if it were that easy everyone would do it. LOL

But, I think he mentioned like 2 weeks ago these Litecoins were $2 and now they are $4. Bitcoins went from like $200 to over $300 in under a month I think. GEESH!!!

Comment

Bitcoin and other virtual currencies are extremely confusing concepts to me. Today there is an article in Forbes that I found informative. In that article there is a reference to a much more detailed look at currencies in general. Warning, the reference is only for those who really care and want to learn a lot about currency theory.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Bitcoin and other virtual currencies are extremely confusing concepts to me. Today there is an article in Forbes that I found informative. In that article there is a reference to a much more detailed look at currencies in general. Warning, the reference is only for those who really care and want to learn a lot about currency theory.
            My theory is I never have enough of it.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
              My theory is I never have enough of it.
              In my case that is not only a well supported theory. It is an undisputed fact!
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yeah, and whatever you do, don't go looking at Bitcoins today as you will depress yourself. They hit $900!

Comment

To revive an old thread.
                  Was wondering if anyone is actively mining, and if so, using what setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                    To revive an old thread.
                    Was wondering if anyone is actively mining, and if so, using what setup?
                    Using a pickaxe and shovel here
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp, that was gold
                      HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Good luck with that Rupp.
                        Seriously... Mining BitCoin

Comment

Maybe Rupp has been playing a game?

http://minecraft.net

Mining for Gold...

--Dan
                          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                          X