Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused on 4 way switch Wiring

Hello everyone,

I have traced out my existing 4 way switch wiring, but I am having trouble trying to figure out how to wire the GE on/Off 3way and 2 aux to the mix. I know I somehow need a path all the way thru to the load, but getting confused staring at the mess. I attached a crude drawing of my existing switches. Any suggestions on adding the zwave?

Thanks a bunch!
    Attached Files

Hi,

I can probably help. Can you confirm which switches you have (actual model numbers would be good, just to make sure).

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks!!

I have 2 GE zw 2002 and 1 ZW4001

Comment

The wiring in the attached should do it. Note that the red wire between the garage and the dining room is no longer required and should be capped at both ends. The picture does not show the grounds for clarity sake, but they should all be hooked up as well. Let me know how it turns out or if you have any questions.

Cheers
        Al

PS I'm showing the neutral/white wire as light blue in the picture.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sparkman; January 26, 2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

That did the trick!!

The first switch I had was bad, the blue led wouldn't light up, so went and got another one. The part that was a little confusing was just re-using two of the three wires that came into each box. So i used two of the travelers, one as a neutral, one as the traveler. Capped off the other wire in each of the old 3 way box, and capped both of the extras in the 4 way box.

The one oddity... The aux switches control the lights fine, but do not seem to reflect status in homeseer. The main switch reflects status just fine.
          I'll do a different post on that.

Thanks!!!

-John

Comment

Hi John,

Glad I could help (and didn't create any sparks ).

3/4 way wiring for most z-wave switches is easier than standard switches as they use a common connection for the signalling.

Cheers
            Al

PS Don't know why the remote switches do not update the status. Hopefully someone else can help you with that one.

Comment

Yes, now that i get it, much easier. I also replaced some of my other 3 way switches that were in the same gang box with decora style 3 way so the cover plate would match up (not purchasing zwave for those just yet) Anyway the "new" standard decora 3 way switches had their connection backwards than my 15 year old Hubble brand ones. The lower single lug on the old one is now a black one of the two on the top.

Comment

Working...
              X