Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used a Zee for a security system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used a Zee for a security system?

I'm looking to set up a security system but since I rent a place, I can't hardwire anything (including a DSC unit in the wall).

I know HS's official stance is to not use it as a primary security system but has anyone actually had problems if you just set it and forget it?

I'm thinking of using Z-Wave door/window sensors, motion sensors, sirens, and Foscams.

Does this seem feasible?

Ken

Works fine.

My thoughts on home security after having 24x7 monitored security system for several years. Most people "forget" to Arm them or hate the nuisance of the call from the call center at 2AM when YOU trip the system. (Accepting the Disclaimer from HST) Our system Arms and DisArms automatically:

1. Best advice - keep cars in garage and garage doors closed at all times! No one can ever tell if we are home or away!

2. Use HS and an "occupancy mode" to manage lights during away mode.
    "Security Mode" on timed events can do "interesting things" to make the house look occupied.

3. We say "Good Night Alexa" and she activates Bedtime mode.

4. HSMs 200 shine Blue to tell you system is Armed. Specific (correct) path Downstairs past the right HSM 200 detects motion and disarms setting occupancy mode to Home and turns green to indicate Closed Loop. Wrong path and motion sensors/door contacts set off an alarm.

Bottom line, for me having Home Owners Insurance, stuff can be replaced. If a pro wants in, they will find a way. I want to know if someone tries while we are at home! Even at that, I check the house via HStouch remotely and see icons telling all doors are closed or which one is open while away.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Anything is feasible. Four legs and a bark is probably your best bet. Does your landlord allow pets.

Some form of presence simulation would probably work best. Lighting events during night absence would work. Going the Z Wave route you're covered there. Sensors with notifications events that will alert you when triggered and cameras you can view remotely and also alert you when motion is detected on the perimeter.

You need to sit down and see what level of cover is required on your premises, particularly your perimeter. It's all about perimeter protection.

Remember you need to know when they attempt to enter and not when they are inside helping themselves. It's a little late then. Also thieves tend not to choose a target that has a barking dog behind the door.

Comment

Working...
      X