Find Amazon Echo on network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find Amazon Echo on network

I would like to be notified if my Echo drops off of the network. Since the Echo doesn't respond to ICMP pings, can you implement another method for device discovery?

NMAP works and Jon00's RCCNM script discovers it through ARP.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

I considered using ARP (and my plug-in already uses it to find the MAC), but wasn't sure how reliable it was to detect a host that left the network. Do you have any experience with ARP to determine if it's a reliable means of determining when a host has left the network?

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
      I considered using ARP (and my plug-in already uses it to find the MAC), but wasn't sure how reliable it was to detect a host that left the network. Do you have any experience with ARP to determine if it's a reliable means of determining when a host has left the network?

Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Jon00's script seems to be reliable in detecting the status of the Echo using ARP. I get notifications when it goes offline. It doesn't happen often but it has happened. I have no way of knowing if it is always reliable, but I can do some testing.

Comment

Ultra, any update on detecting Amazon Echo? Would be nice to be able to monitor it with this plugin.

Comment

The coding changes are complete. I am running an extensive test prior to release. The initial results look very promising. The plug-in is now properly reporting the status of my Amazon Alexa devices

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I loaded the new version and it is finding the Echo. The IP Subnets tab now displays all devices instead of groups of 10 as it used to. More importantly the "Edit" link is missing, so I cannot add any new devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1193293

Comment

A new script was included in the update, so you'll need to "Refresh" your browser window to force the new JavaScript to load.

Regards,
              Ultrajones

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
                A new script was included in the update, so you'll need to "Refresh" your browser window to force the new JavaScript to load.

Regards,
                Ultrajones
                Thanks! That did it.

Comment

This is awesome...been hoping support for the un-ping-able would get added..... Any chance we can get Echo and Dot icons/Device Types added?

Bonus: it's also finding my Samsung robot vacs and my wifi Roomba. The samsungs wouldn't respond to pings.. Would love some kind of Robot Vac/Roomba Icon/Device Type

Great plugin, great enhancement, and great continued support.
                  My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Resistor View Post
                      This is awesome...been hoping support for the un-ping-able would get added..... Any chance we can get Echo and Dot icons/Device Types added?

Bonus: it's also finding my Samsung robot vacs and my wifi Roomba. The samsungs wouldn't respond to pings.. Would love some kind of Robot Vac/Roomba Icon/Device Type

Great plugin, great enhancement, and great continued support.
                      Finding high resolution royalty free icons is next to impossible. If you can point me to one that is at least 64x64, then I would be happy to add them.

Regards,
                      Ultrajones

Comment

Working...
                      X