Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dhalsall View Post
    Hi Chrisgo!

Just installed your plugin (3.0.0.17), and all seems good, with a couple of exceptions I'm seeing in the log:

Code:
    Jul-29 11:27:24 PM WarningFile does not exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\html\images\envcan\backgrounds\
    Jul-29 11:27:24 PM WarningFile does not exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\html\images\envcan\backgrounds\clouds.jpg
    Jul-29 11:27:23 PM WarningFile does not exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\html\images\envcan\backgrounds\sunny.jpg
    I checked the ZIP, and that portion of the path isn't there - did I miss something?

also, seeing this repeatedly in the log, which just stared after the install:

Code:
    Jul-29 11:25:30 PM HSTouch Server WarningException on Value Change callback: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Jul-29 11:25:30 PM HSTouch Server WarningException on Value Change callback: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Jul-29 11:25:29 PM HSTouch Server WarningException on Value Change callback: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Jul-29 11:25:29 PM HSTouch Server WarningException on Value Change callback: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Any thoughts on that?

thanks for the great plugin - and I have to ask... is Chrisgo a play on an "oil" gag?

thanks,
    dave
    (in Ottawa, ON)
    You need to find your own background images and populate in the backgrounds folder. I can't provide these. This is a hobby project and I can't afford to license images for a free plugin. It cost me $100 for the little weather icons but I thought they looked cool so I bought them and I am allowed to distribute them with the plugin.

Photos are much more expensive and I've only had 1 donation towards this plugin ($20 total) so that's not going to happen.

Chris

Comment

OK - gotcha, thanks for the info Chris.

Maybe some place holder images (literally blank, or similar to "media offline" graphics) would help to avoid dummies like me asking you

I can send you something if you don't have an easy way to create anything.

Dave

Comment

NAAD feed

Hi Chris,

One other inquiry... have you considered implementing any parsing of the NAAD public safety RSS feed (Canadian):

http://rss.naad-adna.pelmorex.com/

It may provide more detail / faster update for severe weather warnings.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgo View Post
          I have a created a HS3 plugin that can read the Environment Canada ATOM feeds and create HS3 devices that can be used in HS Touch etc.

HSPI_ENVCAN_3.0.0.4.zip

To configure, just add your ATOM feed (eg https://weather.gc.ca/rss/city/ab-52_e.xml) to the feeds page and use a unique prefix.

A bunch of HS3 devices will be created. Each device has an associated weather icon as defined in the parse configuration page. This can be used in HS Touch as a status image.

A background image can be added to the /html/images/envcan/backgrounds folder to represent the state of the current weather. I am using this image as a background in HS Touch.

I've included an example config file which has my parse rules but you can start from scratch if you prefer.

The icons folder has some weather icons that can be replaced with whatever you prefer.

No background images are supplied as I don't have anything royalty free.

------------
          HI Chris, thanks for this effort - much appreciated. I got it working and just sent you a payment in appreciation.

Question for you.
          I asked Environment Canada if they offered a feed where the POP (Probability of Precipitation) was a specific element so that I could make actionable events based on the likelihood of precipitation. (I.e. if POP > 50%, then don't water the lawn today).

Apparently they have such a feed in their datamart as per their reply.....

Hello Steve,
          Thank you for sending your request to Environment Canada.

The city page XML on the datamart has the POP as a separate element, perhaps this would be a better option for the sprinkler programming.
          http://dd.weather.gc.ca/https://weather.gc.ca/business/index_e.html

Browser Info : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.115 Safari/537.36

I just started using your Atom weather feed with my home automation system (HomeSeer) and this is a BEAUTIFUL THING!.....except one wish....if you were to break the POP out as an individual element(s) for current and 7 days, then I could tie my home sprinkler into that value and, for example, not water the lawns today if POP is greater than 50%. Then, your data becomes even more actionable, and not just informative. Much thanks for this service!!!

Question - how difficult would it be for you to incorporate these feeds above to create this variation for a Canadian weather plugin? Absolutely willing to make a donation on this one.

thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
            ------------
            HI Chris, thanks for this effort - much appreciated. I got it working and just sent you a payment in appreciation.

Question for you.
            I asked Environment Canada if they offered a feed where the POP (Probability of Precipitation) was a specific element so that I could make actionable events based on the likelihood of precipitation. (I.e. if POP > 50%, then don't water the lawn today).

Apparently they have such a feed in their datamart as per their reply.....

Hello Steve,
            Thank you for sending your request to Environment Canada.

The city page XML on the datamart has the POP as a separate element, perhaps this would be a better option for the sprinkler programming.
            http://dd.weather.gc.ca/https://weather.gc.ca/business/index_e.html

Browser Info : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.115 Safari/537.36

I just started using your Atom weather feed with my home automation system (HomeSeer) and this is a BEAUTIFUL THING!.....except one wish....if you were to break the POP out as an individual element(s) for current and 7 days, then I could tie my home sprinkler into that value and, for example, not water the lawns today if POP is greater than 50%. Then, your data becomes even more actionable, and not just informative. Much thanks for this service!!!

Question - how difficult would it be for you to incorporate these feeds above to create this variation for a Canadian weather plugin? Absolutely willing to make a donation on this one.

thanks again!
            Hi Steve, I got your donation, much appreciated!

Let me look into this. Work is nuts right now so no promises.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Steve, I got your donation, much appreciated!

Let me look into this. Work is nuts right now so no promises.

Chris

Hi Steve, I took a look at the city feeds and while they have similar data to the Atom RSS feeds, they lack some of the summary text fields which are useful. They also don't have air quality. They do have POP but that seems to be the only real advantage unless you want an hourly forecast.

I think to move to these feeds would not bring a lot of value to the plugin and it would be quite a bit of work as the formats are very different.

What I would suggest for your POP use case is a script to grab that from the city feed and populate a HS3 device. This could be triggered by an event so it's done on a regular basis.

I am guessing all you need is the POP for the immediate forecast to determine if you need to activate the sprinklers.

I don't have sprinklers but I would think a moisture sensor in the lawn might be another way to do this. Maybe you have this already and are looking to have a conditional event.

If you need a hand with the script let me know.

Chris

Comment

HI Chris, thanks for checking into this possibility and analyzing it to that degree. I appreciate that, understand it and agree with you. Seems like there's more value in the current version/feed.
                The POP is not a show-stopper - just a "nice to have". I was thinking of using it not just for sprinklers, but for shutting off the pool as well (storms clog the filter etc. ) and also thinking of some possible uses in winter as well (i.e. turning on eaves heaters etc. ).
                I'm tied up with work myself now, but I will investigate the scripts route and if/when I get lost, hope you don't mind if I reach out for some advice. I appreciate the offer.

Cheers!

Comment

HI Chris, I'm using EnvCan 3.0.0.17 and everything has been working perfectly until 2017-11-21 Since then, I've been seeing the following errors in my log file.
                  Does this suggest that EnvCan has changed the data format?

Nov-24 1:38:54 PM envcan error in feed: http://weather.gc.ca/rss/city/on-85_e.xml - Error getting response stream (Write: The authentication or decryption has failed.): SendFailure

Nov-24 1:38:52 PM envcan error in feed: http://weather.gc.ca/rss/city/on-54_e.xml - Error getting response stream (Write: The authentication or decryption has failed.): SendFailure

Thanks

Comment

I can't replicate this. Your feeds are working for me. Please attach your config file and I will see if I can recreate the issue.

Are you running on Windows or Linux?

Can you hit http://weather.gc.ca/rss/city/on-85_e.xml from a web browser from the HS3 PC?

Do you have a network proxy or perhaps a security service running on the HS3 PC that acts as a proxy or intercepts calls to the web?

Comment

I can't replicate this. Your feeds are working for me. Please attach your config file and I will see if I can recreate the issue.

Are you running on Windows or Linux?

Can you hit http://weather.gc.ca/rss/city/on-85_e.xml from a web browser from the HS3 PC?

Do you have a network proxy or perhaps a security service running on the HS3 PC that acts as a proxy or intercepts calls to the web?
                      ========================
                      HI Chris, thanks for investigating.
                      My config file is attached.
                      I am running on a Hometroller Zee S2 unit. Details below.
                      It's plugged directly into my router.

Everything was working like a charm until Nov 21.
                      I had even managed to get some VBscripting done to parse out the POP% and was elated with everything.

I can hit the URL just fine from all of my machines.
                      And the Hometroller is able to reach the web and download updates, third party info etc. etc. for available plugins.

Any advice, tips, suggestions are heartily welcome

Current Date/Time: 12/11/2017 12:39:36 PM
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368
                      Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 14 Days 18 Hours 11 Minutes 2 Seconds
                      IP Address: 192.168.15.10
                      Number of Devices: 186
                      Number of Events: 179
                      Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
                      3.0.0.5: CM15A
                      3.0.0.40: EasyTrigger
                      3.0.0.17: EnvCan
                      3.0.1.130: Z-Wave

-steven
                      Attached Files

Comment

I will try out your configuration file.

Does the Zee allow you to get to the Linux shell? If so can you try a wget from the cli to the feed?

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Comment

HI Chris, sorry, no idea what you mean since I don't know Linux.
                          I know that I was able to access the screen to run Linux commands (attached).
                          If you provide the string, I can enter it there and capture the results.

I just now disabled the EnvCan plugin, will do a restart, then re-enable it to see if that helps.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I tested with your config file and it works fine on my machine (Windows).

I am no Linux guru either but I think:

wget http://weather.gc.ca/rss/city/on-85_e.xml

This should pull the feed and return what you'd see on a webbrowser.

Comment

Ok, minor problem - I removed the plugin to do a clean Homeseer restart but now I am having a brain-f@rt and can't recall how to install it.
                              I have the 3.0.0.17 ZIP file but no instructions.
                              Yikes - please help (and I will take notes!)

Update 2017-12-15: I managed to re-install it and posted another note with my own instructions for installing and configuring for the Hometroller Zee.
                              Last edited by Otto-mation; December 15, 2017, 09:19 AM. Reason: Added installation instructions/steps

Comment

https://sites.google.com/site/b123cdd/https://weather.gc.ca/canada_e.htmlhttps://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-54_metric_e.htmlhttps://weather.gc.ca/rss/city/on-54_e.xml

Comment

Working...
                                X