www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old September 24th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Seer Master

Smarthome can't help me...perhaps someone here?

Here's thread I posted at techmall

http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=543

Anyone run into this before?

Jon,

SmartHome also told me that I could not use software to program a keypad buttons (A-D or B-G) state? As the thread above outlines, I'm having real problems syncing keypad button states in large whole house ON/OFF scenes. No issues with loads...just all the keypads secondary buttons. Hoping this plugin will solve this?
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:43 AM
OverSeer

It is a bit hard to follow in the thread. It is true that button cross-linking within the keypad is not done via links. Since the plug-in needs to know about how the switch works internally I've had to reverse-engineer this behavior. This *can* be programmed remotely but there is no software that I know of that does this correctly.

When a switch is controlling another then there is a link record used. If A and B control each other then there are 2 links used in each switch. If there are three switches then 4 links used in each switch. There is a limit to the number of links that can be programmed in each switch.

Because of the way Insteon groups work it doesn't scale well. For instance each keypadlinc uses 6-8 group addresses from the plug-ins (PLC actually) pool of 254. Therefore you are limited to about 30 keypadlincs if you have no groups.

If you have a few keypadlincs and a bunch of devices you are better off. Then you can have HomeSeer add a group for each of the keypadlinc buttons and control them without cross-linking each keypad. There is just a short delay before all the other keypad buttons turn off after you hit the one.

In order to know if you are running out of links I would need to know all the programming details of the keypadlinc you are having troubles with. The best way to get that is to download the data into the plug-in and look at the list there.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevind
Here's thread I posted at techmall

http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=543

Anyone run into this before?

Jon,

SmartHome also told me that I could not use software to program a keypad buttons (A-D or B-G) state? As the thread above outlines, I'm having real problems syncing keypad button states in large whole house ON/OFF scenes. No issues with loads...just all the keypads secondary buttons. Hoping this plugin will solve this?
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Seer Master

Jon,

Will do when I get the PLC up and running.
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Seer Master

Jon, I put a diagram up on that thread link that hopefully clarifies better what the issue is.