• Show
Clear All

Reverse triggering

First of all I have:
    • Hometroller Zee
    • Omni II panel
    • Hai/Omni plugin
    • Alexa service

What I want to do is add a few Zwave door sensors and have their status communicate back to the Omni Panel via the Zwave receiver built in to the HS-Zee. I won't be using them as alarms, just sensors to determine if a gate is open or closed at bedtime. It would be nice to ask Alexa if the gate is open or closed, but that would just be icing on the cake.

I realize I can buy a Zwave PIM for the Omni and I *think* I can do it that way, but I'm trying to use what I already have.

Is this possible?

Well, sort of...

You can do what you want with what you have, but the devices will be communicated back to HS and not the OMNI panel. You can have HS handle all you need.

On the Alexa side, I dont know of a way to query a device's open/closed status until HS adds support in the Smart Home API. It has been requested. The HS Skill *might* support it or Jon00's Alexa Helper *might* support it, but I am not familiar with them. I only use the Smart Home Skill.

So, you dont necessarily need the OMNI Z-Wave PIM, but if you did, then my plugin would handle the notifications back to HS. Given that you already have what you need, I think it would be better to just use HS as I said above.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      Well, sort of...

You can do what you want with what you have, but the devices will be communicated back to HS and not the OMNI panel. You can have HS handle all you need.

On the Alexa side, I dont know of a way to query a device's open/closed status until HS adds support in the Smart Home API. It has been requested. The HS Skill *might* support it or Jon00's Alexa Helper *might* support it, but I am not familiar with them. I only use the Smart Home Skill.

So, you dont necessarily need the OMNI Z-Wave PIM, but if you did, then my plugin would handle the notifications back to HS. Given that you already have what you need, I think it would be better to just use HS as I said above.
      I should probably expand a little on what I'm trying to do. I have a "Good Night" automation block in the Omni controller. When the code is executed it performs certain events, sets units to certain levels, etc. I want to add the ability for it to check the gate sensors and then speak on the Omni keys pad some message ( or a series of beeps ) alerting me that the gates are not closed. I'm satisfied if I can get an audio from the Zee. But the gate check has to be initiated from the Omni Automation code.

Comment

I don't know much about alexa, don't want to....but, I query my front door right now using kinect. I have an event with a couple of nested events to check the door lock and door sensor. so you should be able to do the same thing with alexa provided alexa can be made to run an event.

Comment

I would just use HS for the Z-Wave gate sensor, then use an OMNI button to run your automation block. The speech would be played via HSTouch client:
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wadesready View Post
            I don't know much about alexa, don't want to....but, I query my front door right now using kinect. I have an event with a couple of nested events to check the door lock and door sensor. so you should be able to do the same thing with alexa provided alexa can be made to run an event.
            Yeah, you could probably say something like "Alexa turn on the Gate Check" which would trigger a virtual device to perform the check and speak the status.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
              I would just use HS for the Z-Wave gate sensor, then use an OMNI button to run your automation block. The speech would be played via HSTouch client:
              Thanks Rob this is helpful for some other things I want to do but it's backwards of what I'm trying to do now.
              1. Alexa - Turn on Goodnight (executes button to trigger Omni code)
              2. Omni automation does it's thing, if gate is open Omni speaks "Gate Open"

So I guess there is no way for the Omni to check the status of a Zwave device connected to the Zee and then tell the Zee to do the speak?

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
                Thanks Rob this is helpful for some other things I want to do but it's backwards of what I'm trying to do now.

So I guess there is no way for the Omni to check the status of a Zwave device connected to the Zee and then tell the Zee to do the speak?
                No, not that I'm aware of.

Comment

Couldn't the Z-Wave device be audited via a short delay after event execution by HS and set a flag in Omni and vice-versa? The Omni could set a flag that could be read by HS to accomplish this?

-Travis

Comment

As Rob mentioned, you can use my Alexa helper to provide voice feedback of the gate status via your Echo. It does use the Homeseer Echo Homeseer Automation skill (Tell Homeseer...) so you would need to say "Tell Homeseer Goodnight".
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Daweeze View Post
                      Couldn't the Z-Wave device be audited via a short delay after event execution by HS and set a flag in Omni and vice-versa? The Omni could set a flag that could be read by HS to accomplish this?

-Travis
                      You're onto something there. But the only problem is the initial trigger to start the goodnight event initiates on the Omni side. That's when the gate should be checked.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

You're onto something there. But the only problem is the initial trigger to start the goodnight event initiates on the Omni side. That's when the gate should be checked.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                        Ok so the gate is monitored by HS3 via Z-Wave right? Then it would seem to me to be easy for the OMNI Panel to track the status in real time.

I created a flag in the OMNI named Gate where we will use the value of 0 to indicate Open and the value of 1 is going to be Closed.

I restarted the OMNI Plug-In to scan for new config changes. Then I ticked the toggle for the new the Flag Device to create it in HS3.

For my test, I just created a virtual device to emulate a sensor so a status would change. I named it virtual gate sensor.

Now, some HS Event programming as in picture attached. Once I did this, I could toggle the virtual device to Off/On where Off = Open and On = Closed. Every time I toggled the virtual device, the panel updated the flag immediately. Once you have that working, you can mod your program in the omni to reflect the now known state of the gate for your message announcement or to stop it from putting the house to bed when you still need to go and close that gate.

I hope that is on point and clear enough. If not, could you explain a little more?

-Travis
                        Attached Files

Comment

I realize I can buy a Zwave PIM for the Omni and I *think* I can do it that way, but I'm trying to use what I already have.

The Leviton / HAI VRCOP (ZWave PIM) will not provide any wireless Z-Wave data to the OmniPro 2 panel.

You can only see / connect ZWave lamp switches, thermostats and door locks to the OmniPro 2.

Same with Zigbee device connectivity to the OmniPro 2 via the HAI ZIM.

Not really sure how fast or slow a Homeseer ZWave to Omni flag event will work for you.

Personally I would wire the gate or using standard wireless connectivity to the alarm panel; here have many zones wired that do not trip the alarm and I use them mostly for just status. They work fast. (outdoor wired PIRs for example).

On Cocoontech folks have OmniPro wireless driveway/gate sensors working some 500 feet away from the OmniPro panel / wireless transceivers.

Here have tested HAI and GE / Interlogix wireless devices to work just fine.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Ok so the gate is monitored by HS3 via Z-Wave right? Then it would seem to me to be easy for the OMNI Panel to track the status in real time.

I created a flag in the OMNI named Gate where we will use the value of 0 to indicate Open and the value of 1 is going to be Closed.

I restarted the OMNI Plug-In to scan for new config changes. Then I ticked the toggle for the new the Flag Device to create it in HS3.

For my test, I just created a virtual device to emulate a sensor so a status would change. I named it virtual gate sensor.

Now, some HS Event programming as in picture attached. Once I did this, I could toggle the virtual device to Off/On where Off = Open and On = Closed. Every time I toggled the virtual device, the panel updated the flag immediately. Once you have that working, you can mod your program in the omni to reflect the now known state of the gate for your message announcement or to stop it from putting the house to bed when you still need to go and close that gate.

I hope that is on point and clear enough. If not, could you explain a little more?

-Travis
                            Thanks Travis,
                            This will absolutely work. It's gonna force me into learning how to use the automation capabilities of HS. Right now I'm only using it for Alexa control. This is also a good solution because all the inputs on the Omni Panel are full. Using the Zee as a "hub" to control the flags is perfect. I got a Zwave Gate sensor from Amazon yesterday, so learning how to setup Zwave capability is going to be the biggest learning curve.

Thanks!
                            -Jim

Comment

-Travis
                              I got as far as enrolling the Zwave door sensor note and creating the Virtual Device. But I'm stuck on "For my test, I just created a virtual device to emulate a sensor so a status would change. I named it virtual gate sensor."

How do I associate the sensor with the virtual device?I can manually toggle the virtual device I created and the info gets to the Omni. But I can't seem to get the sensor to do affect the virtual device. I'm sure I missed something simple. Btw the Z-Wave door sensor has the following child devices created with it:
                              Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X