Is it safe to upgrade yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to upgrade yet?

I've been holding off upgrading to the latest release after seeing the discussions of crashes. It looks like the issues are now done to a few users.

I'm still back on 318, but things are fine here.

Barry

"Is it safe to upgrade?" is a pretty vague question that I am not sure anyone can answer for you since everyone's installation is different. I will tell you that I upgraded to 368 right away and have had no issues. I am sure someone else will tell you that they had issues. All depends on the unique mix of plugins, devices, and HS3 features that you use.

Comment

So, I am running beta 382. I have been up for 27 days straight without issue on an RPI 3. Make a backup of your application folder and possibly a backup of your entire system.

HS3 release notes.
      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176440

HS3 beta release notes.
      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=181241

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rxatwell View Post
        "Is it safe to upgrade?" is a pretty vague question that I am not sure anyone can answer for you since everyone's installation is different. I will tell you that I upgraded to 368 right away and have had no issues. I am sure someone else will tell you that they had issues. All depends on the unique mix of plugins, devices, and HS3 features that you use.
        Winter brings more concerns about HS stability for me. I use it to monitor a remote underground pump house temperature. It is heated by multiple reflector lamps that are switched on and off. A backup lamp is switched on and emails sent if the temperature drops below 36. Before I had this setup, I had bulbs burn out and frozen waterlines.

You are correct about my wording. I should have ask a more positive sounding question.

Barry

Comment

Running here with Homeseer 3 version 387 on two Linux boxes running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit with no issues. Current run time testing on HS3 Pro is at 15 days. I had to reboot the HS3 Lite box day before yesterday after 14 days of running with no issues.

@Barry,

From what I read most folks are not having issues running newest release and beta of Homeseer on Windows 7 or Windows 10.

More Windows folks are reporting issues than Linux folks.

Homeseer uses Windows 7 embedded for their embedded controllers and HST is not reporting any issues with their embedded Hometroller with current release and beta versions of Homeseer.

Current Windows beta test version is V.392?

Relating to Linux only see 1-2 folks (literally) having issues with current release V.368 or beta release V.387.

What OS and what version of Homeseer 3 Pro are you running?

If it works for you right now then leave it alone.

If you want to test then update.

I personally would leave it alone if it is working for you and you are worried about the winter weather.
          Last edited by Pete; December 6, 2017, 07:56 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If it isn't broke don't fix it unless there's a particular fix you need.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I see why you would be hesitant to upgrade. I take for granted how mission critical some users Homeseer really is.

I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Pete is right about 368 though. It appears super stable for most. If you feel like testing, backup before you upgrade and if there is an issue, return to previous version? No harm staying where you are til spring!

Cheers!

Comment

all good here... I forget there is a machine running as it is always just going...
                zwave and x10 working fine.. including rfx temps...

I rebooted only to do windows patches but here is what I'm running..

Current Date/Time: 12/6/2017 8:58:37 AM
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise - Work Station
                System Uptime: 1 Day 10 Hours 18 Minutes 52 Seconds
                Number of Devices: 126
                Number of Events: 24
                Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.38.0: BLLAN
                2.0.93.0: BLRF
                3.1.13.8: CONCORD
                0.2.0.0: FitbitSeer
                30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                3.0.0.36: X10
                3.0.1.150: Z-Wave
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by rxatwell View Post
                  I see why you would be hesitant to upgrade. I take for granted how mission critical some users Homeseer really is.

I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Pete is right about 368 though. It appears super stable for most. If you feel like testing, backup before you upgrade and if there is an issue, return to previous version? No harm staying where you are til spring!

Cheers!

While it may be stable for some. It is also the version that has by far garnered the most traffic to this board. The problems it causes may not be obvious to folks not inspecting their systems every day like the people on this board. It has confirmed memory leaks and several problems with the updater. I would suggest skipping. There has been a lot of great progress made on the betas and likely the best HS3 version ever is just around the corner. This is not sarcasm. The last beta (391) is looking really good-though it is only a few days old. I would wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                  Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                  Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Working...
                  X