Virtual Device revert back to previous setting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Device revert back to previous setting problem

Greetings all, I use virtual devices to manage how I want the the house to operate. For example, I may or may not want the Water Heater turn back on in the morning.

Virtual Device
    Water Heater on morning: Enable / Disable

What I have seen is that the setting to "Disable" may not stick and it changes to "Enable". But, I see no log entry showing the change.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? This happens to multiple virtual devices that I have implemented. But, it does not happen to all of them.

Example Log Entries after manually setting device back to "Disable":
    Aug-11 1:18:46 PM Device Control Device: Virtual Smart Settings Water Heater on morning to Disable (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Aug-10 11:18:46 PM Device Control Device: Virtual Smart Settings Water Heater on morning to Disable (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Configuration:
    Current Date/Time: 8/11/2017 1:36:10 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.318
    Linux version: Linux hometrollerSEL 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 8 Hours 24 Minutes 31 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.2.123
    Number of Devices: 667
    Number of Events: 651
    Available Threads: 199

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.22.0: BLOccupied
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    1.0.17205.396: MyQ
    3.0.0.28: Nest
    0.0.0.34: Pushover 3P
    3.0.6159.37431: UltraNetatmo3
    3.0.1.130: Z-Wave

Originally posted by TimSRQ View Post
    Greetings all, I use virtual devices to manage how I want the the house to operate. For example, I may or may not want the Water Heater turn back on in the morning.

Virtual Device
    Water Heater on morning: Enable / Disable

What I have seen is that the setting to "Disable" may not stick and it changes to "Enable". But, I see no log entry showing the change.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? This happens to multiple virtual devices that I have implemented. But, it does not happen to all of them.

Example Log Entries after manually setting device back to "Disable":
    Aug-11 1:18:46 PM Device Control Device: Virtual Smart Settings Water Heater on morning to Disable (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Aug-10 11:18:46 PM Device Control Device: Virtual Smart Settings Water Heater on morning to Disable (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Configuration:
    Current Date/Time: 8/11/2017 1:36:10 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.318
    Linux version: Linux hometrollerSEL 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 8 Hours 24 Minutes 31 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.2.123
    Number of Devices: 667
    Number of Events: 651
    Available Threads: 199

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.22.0: BLOccupied
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    1.0.17205.396: MyQ
    3.0.0.28: Nest
    0.0.0.34: Pushover 3P
    3.0.6159.37431: UltraNetatmo3
    3.0.1.130: Z-Wave
    I've had hundreds of virtual devices for several years and have never seen one change value by itself. Something must be changing it. After it goes to enabled, look at the Last Change date/time then scour your log for any clues at that time. It might be an event or script that is run a second or two before the Last Date.

If that gives no clue, then set up an event that writes a log entry any time that device has its value set or changed. There has to be something controlling it.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      I've had hundreds of virtual devices for several years and have never seen one change value by itself. Something must be changing it. After it goes to enabled, look at the Last Change date/time then scour your log for any clues at that time. It might be an event or script that is run a second or two before the Last Date.

If that gives no clue, then set up an event that writes a log entry any time that device has its value set or changed. There has to be something controlling it.
      I'll give it a shot. I agree there has to be something. But, have not isolated it.

Comment

On the events screen, near the top right of the screen, you could try the "Referencing Device(s) drop down. I forget about this little gem all the time. Select the device in question and when the screen refreshes, it should show you all of the events that are associated with with the device. This could provide you with the necessary information if you believe the update is coming from an event.

Good luck
        Billy

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
          On the events screen, near the top right of the screen, you could try the "Referencing Device(s) drop down. I forget about this little gem all the time. Select the device in question and when the screen refreshes, it should show you all of the events that are associated with with the device. This could provide you with the necessary information if you believe the update is coming from an event.

Good luck
          I agree that this is a gem! I use it a lot.

Ok, so, I am not seeing what is causing the problem. But, I think this additional issue might be related. Let me try and explain.

I have another setting for lived in look for the house in our guest bedrooms.

Lived in Look Guest Bedrooms: Enable / Disable

I set the Status Graphics for this to be either a Solid Blue Circle (Disable) or a Check Mark (Enable). I set this now for about the 10th time over the past month. I set it again correctly last night at 12:50 am. And, alas, today it is back to the default graphic that is created when you create a New Device.

It's almost as if there could be some sort of memory problem where it changes something, but it does not stay in memory.

Also, last night I changed about 6 Virtual Device attributes but they all were changed back today. And, they were confirmed last night as being set properly. The time shows when I did make the change last night.

Unfortunately, I am still not sure what is going on.

Comment

Maybe it would help to post a couple of screen shots of the Status Graphics tab for one of the problem devices. One after you change the graphics to what you want, and another after it reverts back. Maybe someone will see a clue.

Here's one of mine for reference. I've never experienced the problem you are seeing, so it's quite a puzzle.
            Attached Files
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              Maybe it would help to post a couple of screen shots of the Status Graphics tab for one of the problem devices. One after you change the graphics to what you want, and another after it reverts back. Maybe someone will see a clue.

Here's one of mine for reference. I've never experienced the problem you are seeing, so it's quite a puzzle.
              Great suggestion!

Here goes:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Status Graphics 01.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1191877

Name:	Status Graphics 02.png
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1191878

Name:	Status Graphics 00.png
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1191879

Comment

Originally posted by TimSRQ View Post
                Great suggestion!

Here goes:
                This likely has nothing to do with either problem, but it is a best practice to link to images in the images/HomeSeer/status directory rather than the images/HomeSeer/contemporary directory. The status directory is the default so when you change between Classic, Contempory or custom as I use, the contents of each of those directories are copied to the status directory, overwriting any files with the same name.

Like Mike asked, post the same screenshot after the graphics revert.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  This likely has nothing to do with either problem, but it is a best practice to link to images in the images/HomeSeer/status directory rather than the images/HomeSeer/contemporary directory. The status directory is the default so when you change between Classic, Contempory or custom as I use, the contents of each of those directories are copied to the status directory, overwriting any files with the same name.

Like Mike asked, post the same screenshot after the graphics revert.
                  Thanks for the suggestion. I will fix them. But, I will wait to show what happens to the one I'm monitoring. (BTW, there are close to 100 virtual devices - not all seem to suffer from the problem.)

Comment

I'll update this post in the next week. I had a computer failure (bad power supply). So, getting this resolved first. Thanks all!

Comment

Found the Problem and it was sooooo obvious

Ok. So I found the problem.

I used to use Vera (v5). And, since I had a lot of devices the system was very memory constrained. The controller I had only had 128mb of RAM. Because of this the system would often be unresponsive. So, to resolve, I had the system cycle daily at 5am. This was controlled by a completely separate system. Then, the Vera would toggle back on after 10 minutes.

Well, I neglected to remember that I was doing that. The HomeSeer controller was connected to the same power outlet and thus, this was cycling daily at 5am as well. Evidently, upon cycling some of the Virtual Devices would reset rather arbitrarily.

The other day, was comparing daily log events and noticed that it was cycling at precisely 5am every day. That is when I remembered that I had run this daily reset. I then corrected that problem and now the problem of the Virtual Devices resetting has gone away! All is now good with the system.

Obviously, I am very happy that I was causing the problem and there was nothing wrong with the HomeSeer system.

Comment

Working...
                      X