IP / Serial Plugin for HS3 (by "drule") - Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you!

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. Are there some docs available for this plugin?

Really appreciate the help.
    Don

Comment

Not sure. I am new here. drule seems to be pretty good at responding though - so hopefully you'll find out soon! Seems like us newbies have steep learning curves.

It would be good it all plugins were required to provide source code. That would at least give us a chance to review the logic. In my view, that should apply to the commercial plugins too where the owner does not provide support.

Comment

Originally posted by Vodden View Post
        Could you post your config or a link to the thread you used to set-up?

I can't get my iRule working either
        So the issue with my feedbacks was related to the device address. I used the value from the device configuration page which, doesn't allow you to copy/paste or scroll over, so I was unaware that I only used a portion of the address value. When I clicked over to the Advanced tab, I could see the full address value. Once I used that in iRule, the feedback started working.

As for sending data from iRule to HS, the part that is missing from the PDF instructions is that you need to just send some plain text value from the device network code. So for example, you want to control a lamp in your family room. You would add a network code and set the data to something like "FRLampOn". In HS, you would create an event that uses the "drhslp: Received Trigger" for the IF conditional. In "String Received" you would put "FRLampOn". Everything else in the PDF doc should get you to the a working configuration.

You would also create a command to turn the device off. I guess if you wanted to get creative, you could use a single command and then just have the event run a script to toggle the device depending on it's current status.

Comment

Originally posted by drule View Post
          You need to start by creating a "Connection". In the connections tab, add an entry. Type = TCP, Host/Client = Client, IP address = the IP of your GC100, port = 4999 (if using the first serial port on the GC100, 5000 if using the second port), IR receive type = N/A, proxy and script should be empty, Persist shouldn't matter for a GC100 but commands might be a little quicker if it is set to on.

Then go to the "Commands" tab and add entries for the specific commands you wish to send, e.g.., power on, power off, vol up, etc.. I'm not familiar with the LG commands, I have a Samsung myself, do you have a list of commands and if so, do you need help figuring out the correct format for the plugin?

Once the plugin is configured, you can create events whose actions can send the commands to the GC100.

-David
          Can you provide an example of a setup event and also how that event is manually triggered via a vdevice?

Comment

Originally posted by sjz26 View Post
            Can you provide an example of a setup event and also how that event is manually triggered via a vdevice?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	TV On.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1187838

Comment

[ATTACH]57717[/ATTACH]
              thank you and one last question? How do I trigger the event?

Comment

Originally posted by sjz26 View Post
                thank you and one last question? How do I trigger the event?
                There are many ways to trigger an event. In the example above, I'm triggering the event based on input from the iRule app on a tablet device. I have other, similar events, triggered by voice commands received from an Amazon Echo, input from an IR remote, and others. What are you hoping to be able to do?

-David

Comment

trouble sending ASCII commands

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. But I'm trying to send "02X 'carriage return'" over a serial port using the plugin.

The communications lights blink so its sending something, but not the right thing. I've tried the following:

Can someone please point me in the right direction?
                  Thank you.

EDIT: I changed the forward slash to a backslash: 02X\r
                  That didn't change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by teleport9000 View Post

EDIT: I changed the forward slash to a backslash: 02X\r
                    That didn't change anything.
                    Change the type to C-Escaped.

Comment

I was just coming back here to post that as the solution.

Thanks!

Comment

There are many ways to trigger an event. In the example above, I'm triggering the event based on input from the iRule app on a tablet device. I have other, similar events, triggered by voice commands received from an Amazon Echo, input from an IR remote, and others. What are you hoping to be able to do?

-David
                        I am trying to trigger the event from a button on HSTouch.

Comment

Still struggling with iRule

Hello again

Still cannot get iRule to connect to HomeSeer. I have followed all the instructions provided in the thread and HomeSeer will not show up as a gateway on my iRule on the device. When I go into the 'Add Device'tab, it is empty. I've posted my set-up here once but nobody commented on it. Is there anything that needs to be changed in my router? I'm grasping at straws here but I've gotten nowhere with this and it is becoming a little frustrating.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello again

Still cannot get iRule to connect to HomeSeer. I have followed all the instructions provided in the thread and HomeSeer will not show up as a gateway on my iRule on the device. When I go into the 'Add Device'tab, it is empty. I've posted my set-up here once but nobody commented on it. Is there anything that needs to be changed in my router? I'm grasping at straws here but I've gotten nowhere with this and it is becoming a little frustrating.
                            Do you have a Homeseer device in your iRule builder?

Click image for larger version

Name:	irule-ex1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1187886

-David

Comment

Do you have a Homeseer device in your iRule builder?

[ATTACH]57794[/ATTACH]

-David
                              I do not. Nor can I figure out how to create one with that name. Currently using the trial version, does that make a difference? I can't find a homeseer device in the Browse and Import Device page.

Comment

I do not. Nor can I figure out how to create one with that name. Currently using the trial version, does that make a difference? I can't find a homeseer device in the Browse and Import Device page.
                                Found it.

Comment

Working...
                                X