Which Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Skill

The instructions say to install "HomeSeer Home Automation Skill". I have done that but it doesn't see any of my devices. I then installed the skill "HomeSeer". Now Alexa can see some devices. However, this seems an older version, or is it? Which one should really be installed?

There are two skills..., one which uses an API, and one which is more generic.

The API one is the 'HomeSeer' skill, located in the 'Smart Home' group of the Alexa app.

The generic one is the 'HomeSeer Home Automation' skill.

Each skill has pros and cons for HS3 users.

The skills can be enabled and used by themselves, or both can be enabled simultaneously.

The API skill does a discovery of devices in your HS3 system, while the generic one looks for the device after the command is processed.

The API allows on/off/dim/set commands for devices if they have the status pair control use set properly.

The generic skill allows for any command word available on the device.

Both skills require the device to be controlled to have the 'voice command' option enabled (in the configuration area of the device)

The API uses the context of 'Alexa, [command]', whereas the generic skill uses 'Alexa, tell HomeSeer to [command]'.

The generic skill allows for control of events by name or phrase, and can set timed commands.
    Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

What version of Linux software is required for the Hometroller SEL. Several threads advise to upgrade to .293. I currently have the latest .280.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
        There are two skills..., one which uses an API, and one which is more generic.

The API one is the 'HomeSeer' skill, located in the 'Smart Home' group of the Alexa app.

The generic one is the 'HomeSeer Home Automation' skill.

In ALexa SKills I only have HomeSeer Home Automation Skill and HomeSeer. HomeSeer is the BEta one I have always ben connected with!

Or is it a case that it is not available in the UK?
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Your post puts togethervery simply what a a dozen or so threads tried to explain.

My problem was I just upgraded to a SEL and I had some licensing issues and was not able to connect to MYHS which would not allow Echo to access my server.

Thank you

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
            In ALexa SKills I only have HomeSeer Home Automation Skill and HomeSeer. HomeSeer is the BEta one I have always ben connected with!

Or is it a case that it is not available in the UK?

Neither skill is a beta..., one is an API based skill and one is not.

The one that is titled 'HomeSeer Home Automation Skill' is not API based.

The one titled 'HomeSeer' is API based.
            Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Thanks for your reply

Bob

Comment

Will be getting an echo soon.
                The API one looks like easier speech commands and better WAF for me
                Cheers,
                Bob
                Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
                  Neither skill is a beta..., one is an API based skill and one is not.

The one that is titled 'HomeSeer Home Automation Skill' is not API based.

The one titled 'HomeSeer' is API based.
                  Yes but it is the original skill I was using, and only option is to disconnect from it
                  sigpic
                  A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

The API does not support locks as far as I can tell. The Homeseer skill does.

Comment

I'm new to Homeseer, and I don't see these 'Skills' you guys are talking about. I don't see a 'Smarthome Group'. Does Homeseer not have a stand alone Voice Command interface? You have to use Siri, or Alexa, or whatever the Android version is etc?

Comment

Are you looking at the Smarthome section of the Alexa app? That is where you find the skills for Homeseer.

Comment

Here is a sample that I put together of Alexa voice commands using:
                          https://1drv.ms/w/s!Atgv-e6whj8phqpJUPiZ1rXr7Ru9Ow

It uses the:
                          API Skill of Alexa to HomeSeer: http://homeseer.com/amazon-echo-integration.html (Option #1)

IFTTT Alexa to HomeSeer IFFTT Recipe:
                          http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=254502

A "TV" skill for Kodi:
                          https://ifttt.com/recipes/470602-ale...homeseer-event

Comment

Working...
                          X