Alexa/Amazon now support scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa/Amazon now support scenes

Any update when this will make it's way to HS3?

https://developer.amazon.com/public/...rt-Home-Skills

PS - Weird limit of 12 scenes

This is something you should already be able to do with the echo and HS3.
    Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

I am not really understanding why this is any different to using a virtual device and using its change in state to run an event etc. It says in the Amazon release it's really no different on their end and all handling would need to be built in the developer app.

Thoughts?
      cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
        This is a new feature, not a hack of using virtual devices to run an event.

While users could create a virtual device and events, this new feature allows a better user experience without all the complexity (especially for sense where on/off doesn't apply).

Comment

Originally posted by AgileHumor View Post
          This is a new feature, not a hack of using virtual devices to run an event.

While users could create a virtual device and events, this new feature allows a better user experience without all the complexity (especially for sense where on/off doesn't apply).

It's barely a new feature from Amazon (at least not the way it's worded in the link). It says it works like a on/off device and all the legwork for setting devices and their desired state is done in the 3rd party (HomeSeer for us) app.

I do this perfectly well with virtual devices and events. I can't see how it's going to be any less work with a scene unless Wade builds us some of that fuzzy AI stuff.
          cheeryfool

Comment

It would prevent the need for:
            * A useless virtual device
            * 2 events to control the state of the current scene (varies depending on item)
            * 2 events

5 somewhat complex setup that could be avoided be the NEW API feature.

Sorry, I guess I don't agree that while you could "hack it" together, this should be factored into the Skill/API.

Could it be ignored? Yes. It would make HA more complex on HS for no reasons...and other vendors will support them putting HS at a disadvantage.

My personal vision for HS is that it
            HS: The best Home and SMB Scene and Device Metaverse
            Display: Imperihome
            Alexa: Voice

PS - I'm in no rush personally (an IFTTT "Alexa, trigger XXX" is working just fine). Just sharing the new API with the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
              Do you mean that the HS cloud already returns scenes as single devices during discovery that are compatible with the new feature, or did you mean that virtuals and events can achieve the same result?

I happen to use virtuals (beyond) extensively and don't need this feature, but I am curious about continuing support for Echo features because HS is the main reason I own an Echo and will soon expand with 2G Dots.

Comment

The new scenes feature is for use in the Insteon or which ever home hub app that Alexa is integrating with and does not effect or work with HS in any way that i can tell. I use Insteon for this explanation other hub systems may be different.
                The main difference is that before in the alexa app, alexa only allowed simple off and on toggling of groups of lights or devises that you set up in the alexa app from devices it discovered in the smart home section, it did not however recognize any groups or scenes previously set up in the insteon hub or app,the groups had to be put together in the alexa app and offered simple off on control only. Now the alexa app recognises and discoveres the scenes that you set up in the insteon app or hub when it runs discovery automatically and you do not have to set them up in the alexa app seperatly. The bonus and biggest change is that instead of only off on control you can now control dimming,lock status ect....
                For instance,before i had a scene setup in the insteon app that would turn on the porch light and set the kitchen lights to 50% and lock the front door, alexa would not run this scene nor could the alexa app see it therefore this scene was unreachable by alexa and uncontrollable by voice with alexa. But easily ran via virtual devices hue bridge and HS. Now, after running discovery this scene is listed under discovered devices and can be ran by telling alexa to run or turn it on. But as best i can tell this new option does nothing for HS integration.
                Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                X