Backitude speed not showing correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backitude speed not showing correctly

I have backitude configured for a couple of phones in our family. Everything appears to be working correctly, except for the reported speed of the phones. The speed does show a value, but it's typically at least half of what the actual speed is. I can see the lat/lon being updated along with the address and address URL, altitude, course, accuracy, country, city, etc. Is the speed reported by the backitude client on the phone or is this something that is calculated in phlocation based upon distance from the previous location reported? I have backitude configured to steal the location on my Android phone rather than query GPS. When backitude steals the gps information, is the speed not coming across correctly? If the speed is calculated by phlocation, is it calculated based upon driving distance between the previous logged location, or is it calculated based upon line of site distance?

The speed device takes its value from the incoming data. Its not a calculated value.

I'm not sure what happens WRT the speed value if the location is "stolen" as opposed to obtained directly by Backitude. It may be that a "stolen" location is using a prior speed value.

If you go to the other tab on the plug-in config, there is an option to log http requests to file. Switch that on and all incoming data will be logged to
    \HS3\html\PHLocation\Logs\httplog_yyyymmdd.txt. A new file will be created for each day.

You can examine the logs and see the exact values being passed from Backitude.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
      The speed device takes its value from the incoming data. Its not a calculated value.

I'm not sure what happens WRT the speed value if the location is "stolen" as opposed to obtained directly by Backitude. It may be that a "stolen" location is using a prior speed value.

If you go to the other tab on the plug-in config, there is an option to log http requests to file. Switch that on and all incoming data will be logged to
      \HS3\html\PHLocation\Logs\httplog_yyyymmdd.txt. A new file will be created for each day.

You can examine the logs and see the exact values being passed from Backitude.

Paul..
      It appears that the speed is reported as meters per second in the logs. When I multiply the result by 2.23693629 to convert to mph, it comes out correctly. This works well if the units are configured for miles. If they are configured for kilometers, then you'd have to multiple the result by 3.6 to get kph.

Comment

You are indeed right. The speed is not being converted to MPH or KPH before the HS devices are updated.

Not sure why this hasn't been spotted before but it will be fixed in the next release.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
          You are indeed right. The speed is not being converted to MPH or KPH before the HS devices are updated.

Not sure why this hasn't been spotted before but it will be fixed in the next release.

Paul..
          Confirmed that this is working correctly when you have your units set to miles and it does display the speed in MPH using version 3.1.108. I haven't tested using KPH, but it should work.

Comment

I'll have to check this, but I reported that the speed was wrong coming from backitude, even though I set it to MPH. I never got a resolution. ARe you saying this is now fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
              I'll have to check this, but I reported that the speed was wrong coming from backitude, even though I set it to MPH. I never got a resolution. ARe you saying this is now fixed?

Didn't you come to some kind of agreement with the Backitude developer about taking over the project? Am I imagining things? Wishful thinking?
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                Didn't you come to some kind of agreement with the Backitude developer about taking over the project? Am I imagining things? Wishful thinking?
                I asked, he said he was going to continue work, but also make it open source. As far as I know he has done neither unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X