Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Ecobee3 Lite

Hi Spud,

Just bought my first Ecobee3 Lite and trialing your plug-in. Ultimately in spring, my system will have (2) Ecobee 3 Lite and I'm wondering if your plug-in will "see" that 2nd unit and created a new group for it?

Thanks.

Yes the plugin will see the 2nd thermostat and create a new set of device accordingly.

Comment

Thanks Spud. I was hoping to see this PI in this week 20% off Black Friday sale in order to alleviate some of our CAD exchange but it's not. Your decision or HS?

Comment

my decision

Comment

Spud on similar subject, can I change the category, room name, the name of the sensor and the category? I'm adding two extra sensors.

Thanks,
          Aldo

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
            Spud on similar subject, can I change the category, room name, the name of the sensor and the category? I'm adding two extra sensors.

Thanks,
            Aldo
            sure, you can change the name, location or type of an Ecobee virtual device to anything you want. The plug-in will still work as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
              sure, you can change the name, location or type of an Ecobee virtual device to anything you want. The plug-in will still work as expected.
              Spud you are the best, thank you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

One more question.

I'm still working on what brand of Dual zone Cool/Heat heat pump, I will buy. The external thermostat control is an important part of my decision.

I had LG and Mitsubishi in mind because that have 3rd party thermostat interface. I had even purchased a first Ecobee3 Lite that I returned because after writing to LG, they confirmed that in 3rd party control I would loose the compressor inverter (modulation) capability. i.e. the compressor would only work on a all or nothing mode.

I'm now looking at Daikin since they are selling a thermostat (Daikin Envi) that they had manufactured by Ecobee. It is based on the Smart Si model but with proprietary two-wires data communication to their indoor unit instead of dry contacts. The thermostat has more of a year 2000 look then the Ecobee3 but offers much better and specific interaction.

In the manual they refer to a Daikin portal but it seems to still be Ecobee in the background, branded to Daikin. Even the software user agreement is with Ecobee. However, the mobile app seems to be a dedicated Daikin app and not the Ecobee one. So I'm wondering if Daikin thermostat are exposed to the same Ecobee API that Spud is using.

So my questions are :

Have you Spud heard about peoples using your plug-in with a Daikin Envi thermostat?

Same question but to other users and if so, are you happy with it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post
                  Have you Spud heard about peoples using your plug-in with a Daikin Envi thermostat?
                  No I haven't heard of anyone using the plugin with a Daikin Envi
                  In the API docs, it says that Daikin is one of the brand supported: https://www.ecobee.com/home/develope...brandsFeatures
                  but it doesn't say exactly which models implement the API, so I don't know if this particular thermostat will work with the plugin.

Comment

Spud,

Thanks for the prompt reply and for sharing that developer link.

The fact that is is showing in the "Thermostat Brands and Features" section is encouraging. However it is not specifically listed in the "Thermostat Models" or "Account Types/Smart" sections as Carrier and Bryant are.

I'll see if other users have been. If not, I'll try to see with Ecobee.

I still need to confirm with Daikin that the temperature sensing is based from the thermostat sensor and not from the wall hanging unit.

Ultimately, I may try to get a demo unit from a potential Daikin vendor. If I do, there are little chances of seing this happen within (20) days and after that my trial will be over. Do you have a way to reactivate a trial for a few days?

Regards.

Comment

Ultimately, I may try to get a demo unit from a potential Daikin vendor. If I do, there are little chances of seing this happen within (20) days and after that my trial will be over. Do you have a way to reactivate a trial for a few days?
                      You will need to ask HS support for a new trial licence, this should not be a problem.

Comment

I'll see if other users have been. If not, I'll try to see with Ecobee.
                        Here's the reply from Ecobee. Prompt but not the resolution I was hoping for. I'll give a try with Daikin but have little hope.

ecobee Support (ecobee Support)
                        Dec 3, 4:50 PM EST
                        Hello Michel, thank you for contacting ecobee customer support.

While we do manufacture the Daikin Envi I'm afraid the back-end for that unit is very different from our own thermostats and other similarly branded thermostats. Sadly the Envi does not have the same API support as that is all handled by Daikin themselves. In order for an external service to be compatible with that thermostat Daikin would need to provide that support, it may still be worth reaching out to them however, they may have support currently for your HA solution or be planning support in future.

Regards,

Comment

Here's the reply from Ecobee. Prompt but not the resolution I was hoping for. I'll give a try with Daikin but have little hope.

ecobee Support (ecobee Support)
                          Dec 3, 4:50 PM EST
                          Hello Michel, thank you for contacting ecobee customer support.

While we do manufacture the Daikin Envi I'm afraid the back-end for that unit is very different from our own thermostats and other similarly branded thermostats. Sadly the Envi does not have the same API support as that is all handled by Daikin themselves. In order for an external service to be compatible with that thermostat Daikin would need to provide that support, it may still be worth reaching out to them however, they may have support currently for your HA solution or be planning support in future.

Regards,
                          Hi Spud,

I hate when the manufacturer himself gives the wrong answer (Ecobee). In the previous comment we can replace " very different" by "identical". I was lucky enough to stumble on a single and different post on the Ecobee forum before making my decision.

Hesham Fahmy over 3 years ago
                          Yes, the API will work with the Daikin ENVi thermostat. Users will still have to authorize your app via one of the two OAuth method (PIN or Authorization Code) in order for it to have access to their thermostats. Users can then manage access of this app via the MyApps widget.
                          I just had (2) Daikin ENVi installed and got a new trial licence from HS for your PI. I'm very happy to say that it is compatible. Thus you can add this to your compatibility list. In fact these Ecobee thermostat designed for Daikin offer a MUCH tighter integration then if I would have gone with regular Ecobee + LG or Mitsubishi, as these are relying on a dry contact interface (also adding to the price). The Daikin version is fed with 24VAC from the indoor unit hidden adapter and the control is achieved with Modbus RS-485. Anyone looking at installing a new AC or heat pump with HS integration should seriously look at Daikin.

Only one thing so far. HVAC Status.
                          - When in Cool mode and Cooling it will show Cool (OK)
                          - When in AuxHeat mode and Heating it will show Heat (OK)
                          - When in Heat or Auto mode and Heating it always show Idle (WRONG)

I would like to investigate if it is a problem with your PI or with the information supplied by Ecobee/Daikin in the get response. Could you confirm the raw name of the tag you have tied to "HVAC Status" so that I can Debug to file different scenarios and analyse.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Spud,

I hate when the manufacturer himself gives the wrong answer (Ecobee). In the previous comment we can replace " very different" by "identical". I was lucky enough to stumble on a single and different post on the Ecobee forum before making my decision.

I just had (2) Daikin ENVi installed and got a new trial licence from HS for your PI. I'm very happy to say that it is compatible. Thus you can add this to your compatibility list. In fact these Ecobee thermostat designed for Daikin offer a MUCH tighter integration then if I would have gone with regular Ecobee + LG or Mitsubishi, as these are relying on a dry contact interface (also adding to the price). The Daikin version is fed with 24VAC from the indoor unit hidden adapter and the control is achieved with Modbus RS-485. Anyone looking at installing a new AC or heat pump with HS integration should seriously look at Daikin.

Only one thing so far. HVAC Status.
                            - When in Cool mode and Cooling it will show Cool (OK)
                            - When in AuxHeat mode and Heating it will show Heat (OK)
                            - When in Heat or Auto mode and Heating it always show Idle (WRONG)

I would like to investigate if it is a problem with your PI or with the information supplied by Ecobee/Daikin in the get response. Could you confirm the raw name of the tag you have tied to "HVAC Status" so that I can Debug to file different scenarios and analyse.

Thanks.
                            Thanks for the info.

The HVAC status device is based on the statusList field: https://www.ecobee.com/home/develope...-summary.shtml

please post what is the value of this field when you get the wrong Idle status. Thanks

Comment

Daikin ENVI compatibility

Originally posted by spud View Post
                              Thanks for the info.

The HVAC status device is based on the statusList field: https://www.ecobee.com/home/develope...-summary.shtml

please post what is the value of this field when you get the wrong Idle status. Thanks
                              Thanks for the prompt reply. Looking real quick at the log I had dumped yesterday I would think that the regular Ecobee must be using a different term like "compHeat1" while Daikin is using "heatPump".

What I'm seing in my log is :
                              "statusList": ["***********4:","***********4:fan,heatPump"]

If you think I'm on the wrong track I can run more test now that I know what tag to look for. Otherwise can you add this variant in a next revision?

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                              X