Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davis sampling via weatherlink

I am so confused ...

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to connect my Davis VantagePro2 to my Homeseer machine and get started playing with the various plugins. But I am stuck on some basic confusion, and was hoping that those of you who have more experience with this can help me learn.

I know I need a datalogger to fetch the data from the Davis, and make it available to Homeseer. I think I have read that there are issues with the USB versions, and that if I have the serial port to spare, I should get that version, correct?

That aside, then I get confused about the update rate available through the datalogger. For instance, I think the wind sensor updates the console every 2.5 seconds (even on the wireless unit), correct? But then I read that the most frequent sampling rate for the datalogger is 1min, so does that mean that this effectively makes the update rate from the wind sensor 1min vs 2.5 seconds? Or does the datalogger capture the wind data every 2.5 seconds, and then deliver 1min's worth of data when it is set to update at that rate?

Is there a difference in this scheme between the various datalogger versions? I see that there is an APRS version that indicates "real time" updates, does that mean that it is passing real time data through to the serial port, or does it mean something else?

I looked around on the Davis site and other sites to see if I could find the info that would help me better understand all of this, but I can't find much. This site has alot of Davis users, and I was wondering if there is someplace that you guys could point me to for more info?

Thanks for reading ...

Originally posted by foxt View Post
    I am so confused ...

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to connect my Davis VantagePro2 to my Homeseer machine and get started playing with the various plugins. But I am stuck on some basic confusion, and was hoping that those of you who have more experience with this can help me learn.

I know I need a datalogger to fetch the data from the Davis, and make it available to Homeseer. I think I have read that there are issues with the USB versions, and that if I have the serial port to spare, I should get that version, correct?

That aside, then I get confused about the update rate available through the datalogger. For instance, I think the wind sensor updates the console every 2.5 seconds (even on the wireless unit), correct? But then I read that the most frequent sampling rate for the datalogger is 1min, so does that mean that this effectively makes the update rate from the wind sensor 1min vs 2.5 seconds? Or does the datalogger capture the wind data every 2.5 seconds, and then deliver 1min's worth of data when it is set to update at that rate?

Is there a difference in this scheme between the various datalogger versions? I see that there is an APRS version that indicates "real time" updates, does that mean that it is passing real time data through to the serial port, or does it mean something else?

I looked around on the Davis site and other sites to see if I could find the info that would help me better understand all of this, but I can't find much. This site has alot of Davis users, and I was wondering if there is someplace that you guys could point me to for more info?

Thanks for reading ...
    I echo this. Just bought the Vantage Vue and after reading through the forums I realized I need the data logger as well. I am concerned about this statement. can anyone who currently uses these confirm?

"I know I need a datalogger to fetch the data from the Davis, and make it available to Homeseer. I think I have read that there are issues with the USB versions"

If I get the USB version will that work?

K

Comment

Davis sampling via weatherlink

I use a 3rd party manufactured USB data logger (read here http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=21403.0) and meteobridge (http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home) on a TP-Link TL-WR703N.

As per specs, this is the limitation of David Datalogger...
      "Choose a storage interval of 1, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, or 120 minutes. Store up to six months' worth of data, depending on the chosen storage interval."

As I do not use the Davis, I cannot comment further on the live data through the data logger, but with my configuration utilising metrobridge it is 2 sec sampling rate
      Last edited by brientim; July 2, 2016, 12:58 AM. Reason: correct error

Comment

I know I need a datalogger to fetch the data from the Davis

No. You can just use a serial cable with no memory if you want for around $15.

Here using an updated with memory datalogger Davis Console custom cable which is actually better that the weatherlink cable you purchase. ($40 USD)

Here I have been using CumulusMX connected to a Davis Vantage Pro & Vue via the cable on the Davis console.

The software is free (please donate).

That said Jon00 Cumulus plugin works great.

You could also install cumulusmx with HS3 on the RPi2 but you would be pushing it a bit.

Over the years the language that is used by Davis for their weather station is kind of public domain standard with new weather stations DIY'd that talk Davis weather station data these days.

Read this old blog article. ==> Davis Communications
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,
          did the links not come through? Not seeing them

Comment

I use the WeatherLink IP with MeteoBridge on a Davis Vantage Pro 2...
            It currently connected to Weather Underground and several plugins in HS3.

Spend the money up front and get the IP version, you'll be much happier.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
              I use the WeatherLink IP with MeteoBridge on a Davis Vantage Pro 2...
              It currently connected to Weather Underground and several plugins in HS3.

Spend the money up front and get the IP version, you'll be much happier.
              I have MeteoBridge talk to the Davis console, and then send directly to WUG. I slurp up the data into HS3 using both WeatherXML and HTTP sends from Meteobridge. Don't need Weatherlink with that config.

I see Metobridge now has a Pro version (big $$$) that talks directly to the Davis instrument package.

Z

Comment

Here is one of the links posted above.

http://madscientistlabs.blogspot.com...n-hacking.html

Really all of this stuff was a reverse engineering of the communications language utilized by the Davis Console. The original Davis cable is a serial buffered cable.

I started to goof around with this stuff using a regular serial (custom) cable plugged in to my Davis Console. Then purchased a buffered serial cable. (from Australia).

You can utilize the Weatherlink software Davis serial cable. It doesn't really matter. It is just serial data.

I like the MeteoBridge device. It is a serial to customized OpenWRT firmware device. I like to tinker with those and today playing with a micro WRT router a bit bigger than my thumb.

Initially broadcasting the serial port on my network testing with a couple of pieces of software. Then settling on Cumulus for Windows software.

Cumulus software has been around a while and always free. It is found here ==>

Cumulus Weather Station Software

The software works with a variety of weather stations.

Today CumulusMx is written for Linux, Windows and iOS. I use it with a RPi2.

I post the data to the usual places on the internet (WUN, NOAA, etc) and to my own hosting service.

There is where the realtime.txt file is saved and downloaded to Homeseer 3 from two geographical locations. You can just keep it local if you want.

I wrote a short blog on CT relating to this stuff here ==> Automate (without doing a number) Weather for $35 plus donationware

I posted a drawing here of the physical layout of the weather station, RPi2 et al.

Looking for my drawing.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,
                  I am interested in this comment.
                  No. You can just use a serial cable with no memory if you want for around $15.

going to use cumulus with Jon00's plugin, would this work.
                  where do you find this cable? I am more curious than anything as I bought belfrey's cable rig which should be here soon I hope.

Comment

Here initially PM'd the moderator of WeatherWX and he had set up a side business selling these. Note that this was a few years ago now.

The piece of importance was replicating the flat Davis Serial connector. It was only 3 wires to the Davis serial port. RD, TX and Ground at the time.

The next one purchased from Australia was identical to the buffered Davis cable only with more memory to cache more stuff than the original Davis weatherlink cable.

Thinking today just search on Ebay for a Davis Console cable.

Originally Adam wrote the Cumulus Plugin for Homeseer 2. He did make two plugins for two weather stations. Jon00 then did it for Homeseer 3 for one of two weather stations.

The plugins depend on a simple created Cumulus and Cumulus MX text file called realtime.txt. This file can be anywhere. IE: mine are located on the hosting site for my two weather stations.

I do prefer to keep my weather station stuff separately from Homeseer here.

WeatherXML does it too taking the CumulusMX file from Jon00's plugin to be utilized.

Such there here for HS3 Pro on Ubuntu use both. WeatherXML used real weather station data, WUN and NOAA data and whatever weathermap GIF files.

Here also utilize a couple of more of Jon00's plugins to generate my weather cam JPG mixing live data in to the picture for WUN and NOAA stuff.

I have to update it a bit. This JPG is created every 5 minutes or so with multiple scripts / plugins.

The baby Pear tree in the middle replaced an older tree that was some 35-40 feet tall and snapped in half by a little micro burst of 75 MPH winds which we saw live and recorded by the CCTV stuff a few years ago.

On the deck the same winds ripped out my natural gas grill (picked it up and dropped it about 5 feet away) and a 300lb tree pot on the deck that day.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; July 10, 2016, 12:59 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

For the on purchased from Australia, see post contained here

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?top...9703#msg289703

Comment

thanks for the replys, I ended up going with belfry's kit. was 70 bucks shipped from UK. Made it to me in the US in around 10 days. Worked out of the box on win10 with no fuss at all.

http://belfryboyweatherbits.blogspot...sb-logger.html

Comment

Yup; here purchased the serial buffered one from Australia. Been working fine.

First one purchased was the un buffered serial cable.

That also worked fine.

Have a look a CumulusMX. Works great on the RPi2.

For a bit was using a mini serial server talking to the Wintel box and the Linux box at the same time.

It wasn't supposed to work. It did but you had to start each piece of software separately.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post

I have MeteoBridge talk to the Davis console, and then send directly to WUG. I slurp up the data into HS3 using both WeatherXML and HTTP sends from Meteobridge. Don't need Weatherlink with that config.

I see Metobridge now has a Pro version (big $$$) that talks directly to the Davis instrument package.

Z
                            i just picked up a meteobridge pro, plan on using it with my oregon scientific system for now and then upgrade to a davis vantage system as this box can read their sensor data directly. i want to import data to Homeseer and i am interested in using a simple plugin, weatherxml sounds like a great option but can you share details on how you imported the data?

Comment

Originally posted by vince954 View Post

i just picked up a meteobridge pro, plan on using it with my oregon scientific system for now and then upgrade to a davis vantage system as this box can read their sensor data directly. i want to import data to Homeseer and i am interested in using a simple plugin, weatherxml sounds like a great option but can you share details on how you imported the data?
                              I just poll is from HS using a script which calls the Meteobridge cgi function directly every couple of minutes now that WU has become stingy with their API. PM me your email and I'll be happy to share it. Haven't played with their Pro. Didn't even know there was one . Should have the same functionality I would think. It even lets me grab my Davis moisture sensors.

Z

Comment

Working...
                              X