Z-Tool+ from remote location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Tool+ from remote location?

If I have a Z-NET device in a remote location; say a vacation home, can the Z-Tool+ app be used if the HS system is on a different network/remote?

I could be wrong but I think you need to be on same network. You could still go through myhs.homeseer to log in then go to the z-wave controller page. Not what you want but a work around.

Sent from my iPhone
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

You could use some kind of vpn connection as well which will put you on the same network.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Curious about the usage scenario for this. The Z-tool is to add/remove devices primarily -- which assumes that you'll be in the house, no?

Comment

Normally yes, but the Z-NET allows a remote connection to control a separate location, hence the question about the Z-Tool+.

Comment

401 error (permission) in z-tool+

I have the same issue with getting z-tool+ to connect to HS3. I have the right versions, JSON is enabled, and local password is disabled (shudder).

The reason for the issue in my case is straightforward: I have two LANs running through my firewall; the trusted LAN (and thus all trusted users) uses subnet 172.16.nnn.nnn, and the DMZ LAN is on 192.168.nnn.nnn. HS3 is in the DMZ, because there are situations in which it needs to be accessible from outside. All traffic from the LAN to the DMZ is allowed (e.g., to HS3), but DMZ to LAN is tightly restricted.

An earlier post suggested that there would be a version of Z-tool+ that would allow more control over the network configuration. My preference would be to allow a password to be entered/stored in the Z-tool+ client, rather than lowering security to allow anyone that reaches the LAN on which HS3 is running to have access.

What's the short-term and long-term solution?

Comment

Working...
            X