Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with linked zones

Hi Guys

Not sure if anyone esle is having this. I created a customer music controller template and have upto 6 instances on any one screen.

As you see in the screen shot, Dining Room and Kitchen are linked and Portable and Porch are linked. The problem I've got is that the buttons only work on one of the linked zones (e.g. Dining Rooom, but not kitchen; and Porch, but not portable)

Any ideas?

Regards

Mark
    Attached Files

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

Hi Mark,

this is unfortunately the way Sonos works. When you link them, only the master zone accepts commands, all other zones just replicate what's happening on the master zone, only exception is the volume setting.

Over the last betas, I began showing title/track/artwork for the linked slave zones based on what is playing on the master zone which might now prevent you from figuring out who is master. If you look at the status of the player, it shows "linked to ...." status when the zone is a slave zone.

How high is this on your nouisance scale? It can be added but a good bit of work. I was also concerned on events that are created. Here is a hypothetical example:
    Let's say yesterday you were in a party mood and linked family room with kitchen and were dancing throughout the house. However you have a event that turns the kitchen player off when the motion sensor that you have in the kitchen is not detecting motion for 10 minutes. So here is the conundrum: because you linked the zones, should now the event turn off Family room and kitchen or just kitchen?
    If I make changes that any command on a slave zone will be applied to the master zone, than it will do that for anything, including events/actions you might have created. On the other hand, the event won't do anything now anyway but nothing could be better than doing something unwanted.

Comments?

Dirk

Comment

On my custom web pages, if the user directs a command at a player that is linked, I send the command to the player it is linked to. Works fine. I think it best that this be done by the caller of your api, not automatically by your api. Just my opinion.

tenholde
      tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
        How high is this on your nouisance scale? It can be added but a good bit of work.
        Hi Dirk

It's not too muuch of an issue. I guess I'll just show the status (or color the master based on status) so I know which is the master

Regards

mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
        USB UIRT
        HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
        2GIG Thermostat
        BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
        BLUPS
        UltraLog (SQL2008)
        Jon00 Plugins
        Global Cache IP2IR
        Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Dirk,

This has been a problem for me for a long time. .

Let's say I have music playing in the kitchen, through a Russound system with a keypad in the room. I want to control the music playing with the russound keypad. Normally the russound keypad actions simply control the SONOS kitchen ZONE via simple Homeseer events.

But last night I was listening to music in my bedroom and linked in the kitchen zone. Now the kitchen is a slave to the bedroom, but my wife is oblivious of this and goes on the ipad to build the playlist for the linked zones. Then she presses the Russound buttons to skip a song or pause and nothing happens. She fusses.

I understand the way you have it now, but without scripting, I'm not sure how to make an event do what i want. I'd want, as you suggested, for any zone control to propagate to the master controlling zone for that music.

Similarly, I have events that start the night time music on my Kids' SONOS S5 boxes. But often the kids link their boxes together - i suspect in that case it doesn't work to send a PLAY PLAYLIST command to the slave box, since they are linked. I haven't tested it, but I suspect they need to be unlinked before those events work.

I actually think it makes sense to control the master zone any time you want to influence a zone. Or optionally, sending a command to a zone that is a slave unlinks it from the master, then sends the command?

Perhaps it coudl be an option in the plug-in setup?

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
            On my custom web pages, if the user directs a command at a player that is linked, I send the command to the player it is linked to. Works fine. I think it best that this be done by the caller of your api, not automatically by your api. Just my opinion.

tenholde
            That would work for me, but I don;t see any property to tel me if it's a linked player.

Would you mind sahring how exactly your detecting it and sending the command (in HSTouch)?

Thanks

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
            USB UIRT
            HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
            2GIG Thermostat
            BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
            BLUPS
            UltraLog (SQL2008)
            Jon00 Plugins
            Global Cache IP2IR
            Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
              If you look at the status of the player, it shows "linked to ...." status when the zone is a slave zone.
              Hi Dirk

I'm not seeing this "linked to..." status anywhere. Which property should I be looking at?

Regards

mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
              USB UIRT
              HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
              2GIG Thermostat
              BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
              BLUPS
              UltraLog (SQL2008)
              Jon00 Plugins
              Global Cache IP2IR
              Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Code:
                 MusicApi = pi.GetMusicAPI(lblZoneName.Text)
                        If MusicApi.ZoneIsLinked Then
                            MusicApi2 = pi.GetMusicAPI(MusicApi.LinkedZoneSource.ToString)
                            MusicApi2.TrackPrev()
                        Else
                            MusicApi.TrackPrev()
                        End If
                tenholde

Comment

Thank you. . . this is very helpful. . .

I also sent in a feature request to unlink the zone using an event. Then people would have the option of manually unlinking to make sure their commands will process correctly, if they're not scripting.

Tim

Comment

Just posted beta v.69 with new functions
                    Dirk

Comment

Working...
                    X