www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > User Interface Plug-ins > User Interface Discussion

User Interface Discussion User Interface Plug-ins

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Seer Plus

nighttime missing from event option? hs3

I think I've confused myself. When creating an event, I select "the time is..." But I can't figure out how to only trigger an event for nighttime. In hs2 I'm pretty sure I could choose "between sunset and sunrise (nighttime)" . am I missing the obvious?
Thanks
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:53 PM
Seer Plus

Yeah. Another question is how do you disable an event, in an event? I see that you can "remove an event", but I don't want to delete it.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:07 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandook View Post
I think I've confused myself. When creating an event, I select "the time is..." But I can't figure out how to only trigger an event for nighttime. In hs2 I'm pretty sure I could choose "between sunset and sunrise (nighttime)" . am I missing the obvious?
Thanks
The first row in the event area is specifically for choosing a trigger. "Nighttime" is not a trigger. It's a condition. You can choose nighttime as a condition in the second row after you've first selected a trigger.

Generally speaking (and this can get confusing), a trigger is something that happens once or in an instant... like a device turning on or off .. or.. motion being sensed .. or .. the time being exactly 2:44 pm. Conditions can occur over long periods of time (like nighttime) or describe a constant state of something (like a device IS ON as opposed to a device is TURNED ON).

If you could create an event with just a condition, if would fire continuously... something that is usually not desirable. For example, this event would continuously turn on a light: If the time is nighttime, turn on this light.

website | products | support | youtube
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:23 PM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
The first row in the event area is specifically for choosing a trigger. "Nighttime" is not a trigger. It's a condition. You can choose nighttime as a condition in the second row after you've first selected a trigger.

Generally speaking (and this can get confusing), a trigger is something that happens once or in an instant... like a device turning on or off .. or.. motion being sensed .. or .. the time being exactly 2:44 pm. Conditions can occur over long periods of time (like nighttime) or describe a constant state of something (like a device IS ON as opposed to a device is TURNED ON).

If you could create an event with just a condition, if would fire continuously... something that is usually not desirable. For example, this event would continuously turn on a light: If the time is nighttime, turn on this light.
A light just came on and its not in my house!

Thanks Mark
Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:54 PM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post

Sorry for picking up an old thread.

What If I want to be sure that the garden lights are always on during the nighttime, even if the power goes down and comes up again? Since the "time is sunset" will not reoccur again during the night, as soon as the system recovers power, the lights will be out all night until the "the time is sunset" event fires again the next day.

I could do this easily with HS2 by using the following sequence:

IF time is nighttime
AND IF garden light is OFF
THEN turn the garden light ON

This would always turn the light exactly one time.

How do I do this with HS3?

Thank you
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
OverSeer

Try in place of your "IF time is nighttime" using :
If The time is this after Sunset and either keep all zeros or add a minute.
And IF The time is Nighttime ...
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:34 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
Try in place of your "IF time is nighttime" using :
If The time is this after Sunset and either keep all zeros or add a minute.
And IF The time is Nighttime ...
Greg;

If I'm not mistaken 1) you cannot use all zeros and 2) that will still only fire at that particular value after sunset. If sunset is at 6:00PM and you have an event trigger at "The time is 1 minute after Sunset" will only trigger at 6:01PM. You can even look at how the trigger calculates the time based on sunrise or sunset. I even put in an enhancement request for more triggers of:

If the time is before/after this before/after sunset
If the time is before/after this before/after sunrise

The way I make sure my night lighting is on, regardless of if HomeSeer was running at Sunset or not is:

IF the event will automatically trigger every 5m, 0s
AND IF time is nighttime
AND IF garden light is OFF
THEN turn the garden light ON

You could have it trigger every minute or even every second. The event will only run once when the light is off. I felt that a 5 minute window was adequate.

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:11 PM
OverSeer

Good point. A recurring event is the safest in case the event doesn't get ran at the exact time in case HS isn't running.
Old August 4th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Seer Plus

In retrospect, HS2 would fire a check on any event that would start by a condition, like "IF it's night time" every minute, if I'm not mistaken. So if the power went out and back again, after a minute of booting up HS2, it would check if it was nigh time. And if the lights were off, they would turn ON.

As I understand from a previous post on this topic, HS3 will only fire an event if a value of some sort changes. So I guess the solution, as suggested, to reproduce the previous behavior, is to fire a recurrent event, every minute or so, to then check if it is night time and the light is off. And if so to turn it back on.

And what about stating that this event is to be included on the "Power Recovery" routine? Would it fire the event even if it is not the exact moment of the sunset at the time of power up?

Luis