No announcement yet.

Harmony hub extender for zwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been doing some experimenting with the hub extender. I started by trying to connect it with one Leviton Light Switch in my Family Room. I figured out that it would not add unless I factory reset the switch and then I was able to add it with no problems. However, after doing this I was not able to re-add it to Homeseer. Perhaps this is a limitation of the Levity z-wave switch that it can only be paired with one controller? I have been trying to understand the steps below to get the hub extender to talk to Homeseer but so far no dice. I am running most of my devices through a Z-Troller hooked to HS2. I do have HS3 up and running with Jon00's connector, but no z-wave controller hooked to HS3. Do I have to get a z-wave controller for HS3 in order to get this working? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
      Perhaps this is a limitation of the Levity z-wave switch that it can only be paired with one controller?
      It is a feature of all zwave devices, they can only be paired to one controller at a time. You can use secondary controllers, which are sync'd to a primary controller.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks - I figured that was what was happening. So what is my best course of action to add the Harmony Hub Extender into the mix assuming I want it to talk back and forth with Homeseer?

Comment

I'm still working on getting the Harmony Hub to talk to my Homeseer. I have exhausted all options under HS2 so I am now moving to my HS3 setup - which I am running concurrently. As I don't want to disturb my existing HS2 Z-Wave setup, I am leaving the Z-Troller there and ordering a Z-Net for my HS3. Once that gets in I am hoping I can add the hub and then start moving the other Z-Wave devices over.

Related to this - as the Harmony Hub supports Zigbee - is it possible that (when connected to HS3) I could read and send commands to Zigbee devices that are connected to the Harmony Hub? I have been looking at the Lutron Pico Zigbee remotes for a while. Lutron's industrial design is excellent and these remotes are a cheap way to wirelessly add controls throughout the house.

Comment

newbie help

HOw do I put the homeseer in inclusion mode to add the home extender as a controller?

rkshack

Comment

I'm not sure if everyone already knows, but there is another way to have your harmony remote control anything on your homeseer.

Before the extender was even out the guys with veras were using a java app called a hue bridge or echo bridge. It mimics a hue bridge and allows your Amazon echo or harmony hub to see and pair wirh this bridge as a hue hub. But instead of hue bulbs you send on/ off / dim http commands to the contoller. The bridge has a ui and it imports harmony devices and scenes and vera devices and scenes. Homeseer you need to click manual entry. But after moving from vera to homeseer i moved everything over.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                I'm not sure if everyone already knows, but there is another way to have your harmony remote control anything on your homeseer.

Before the extender was even out the guys with veras were using a java app called a hue bridge or echo bridge. It mimics a hue bridge and allows your Amazon echo or harmony hub to see and pair wirh this bridge as a hue hub. But instead of hue bulbs you send on/ off / dim http commands to the contoller. The bridge has a ui and it imports harmony devices and scenes and vera devices and scenes. Homeseer you need to click manual entry. But after moving from vera to homeseer i moved everything over.
                Is there a way to do this with a zee s1?
                Rkshack

Comment

Can someone post a link to this fake hue bridge? I can only find the plugins that talk to a physical hue bridge. Thanks.

Comment

Can someone post a link to this fake hue bridge? I can only find the plugins that talk to a physical hue bridge. Thanks.
                    Softwareand info here on running it.
                    https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge

Most Information is here but look towards the end the version and links in the beginning are very obsolete.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=31920.1500

Comment

Originally posted by rkshack View Post
                      Is there a way to do this with a zee s1?
                      Rkshack
                      Anything running java should do it. I have had mine running on a pi2 since i started, but people also run on windows.

So when i was on vera i just bought a Pi connected it to Internet and power and set it up to run this java at bootup.

Comment

Also on homseer I have installed this plug in order to accept http commands. Which i have used for this and a few other devices that i want to communicate with homeseer.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163200

After this is running and the bridge is running its just a matter of setting the on/dim and off http commands to the right device on homeseer.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. So simply put - you create a virtual philips hue device in this virtual hue hub. Then you teach the Harmony to connect to that device - as if it is a philips hue bulb. Then the harmony tells the virtual hue bulb to turn on and the virtual hub forwards the command to homeseer to do something.

In theory, this would allow me to use the hard light buttons on my Harmony Elite remote to trigger lighting events in Homeseer.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. So simply put - you create a virtual philips hue device in this virtual hue hub. Then you teach the Harmony to connect to that device - as if it is a philips hue bulb. Then the harmony tells the virtual hue bulb to turn on and the virtual hub forwards the command to homeseer to do something.

In theory, this would allow me to use the hard light buttons on my Harmony Elite remote to trigger lighting events in Homeseer.

Yes that is correct and what I do already.

What ever on off URL you want to run. So it could be a scene #1 url on
                            and scene #2 url for off. The hard buttons on the remote allow you to choose short press or long press. So you could set a button to short press (which means runs the on url) and it fires one scene, but if you long press the same button if fires the off url which could be used for a totally different scene.

You fouls do virtual switches on off or direct to device url's options are yours.

I think we should start a different thread for this. I'm in no way any more then an end user for this (I'm no pro nor did I have anything to do with creating this) but I will help where I can answer questions.

This was just a more universal and cheaper way to do what the Extender does. Since we are all running homeseer on a windows or linux device 24/7 this actually fits here at homeseer a bit eaiser then on VERA as many people complained about leaving a PC on or having to by a pi to run it on.

The ip options for your devices (harmony hub or hubs) are all set in the startup string and when the devices are created in the vitrual hubs web UI it's all stored on a single file.

Comment

Thanks - this is very interesting.

What if I had a zigbee switch paired to the Logitech hub. Do you think that pushing the switch could be picked up by the hub and then translated through this virtual connection into homeseer?

Comment

Thanks - this is very interesting.

What if I had a zigbee switch paired to the Logitech hub. Do you think that pushing the switch could be picked up by the hub and then translated through this virtual connection into homeseer?
                                This virtual hue hub is a one way connection to get a button on the harmony remote to send an http command out to anything.

If you want to go the other direct and have HS see what state the harmony remote is in, then you need the harmony plugin. This will not help u for that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X