This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeTroller Zee Update Procedure Using Putty

If you attempt to register your Zee with an earlier version after the trial has run out, you will not be able to access the web interface. Use the procedure below to update to 3.0.0.83 and regain access to the web interface:

This procedure will update your Zee to version .83. If a later version is available, you can substitute that version number for the .83 in the instructions below.

This procedure can be used to update a Zee, Zee S2, or SEL to a different version of HomeSeer, say an older version or a Beta version, all you need is the version number.

Note: You should shut down the HomeSeer application first from within HomeSeer, Tools menu, to avoid possibly corrupting data.

Windows Users
    1. Download and launch “Putty” http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
    2. Enter HomeTroller Zee IP address into the “Host Name” field and click the “Open” button.
    3. Putty will open a command prompt window and connect to your HomeTroller Zee
    4. Enter your master username and password. If you’ve never changed this, use the default login:
    5. login as: homeseer
    6. password: hsthsths3
    7. Enter cd /usr/local/HomeSeer
    8. Enter ./updatehs.sh 83 (replace the 83 with the version # you want to install)
    9. The update will now install. When finished, the command prompt will return
    10. Power cycle Your HomeTroller Zee and access the web interface. You may now register the unit.

Mac Users
    1. Launch “Terminal” (located in the “Utilities” folder inside the “Applications” folder)
    2. When the command prompt appears, enter: SSH-L (followed by IP Address of Your HomeTroller Zee)
    3. Example: ssh -l 192.168.2.44
    4. Enter your master username and password. If you’ve never changed this, the log in is as follows:
    5. login as: homeseer
    6. password: hsthsths3
    7. Enter cd /usr/local/HomeSeer
    8. Enter ./updatehs.sh 83 (replace the 83 with the version # you want to install)
    9. The update will now install. When finished, the command prompt will return
    10. Power cycle Your HomeTroller Zee and access the web interface. You may now register the unit.

All Users
    Be sure to check periodically for updates by navigating to the “Setup” screen of your HomeTroller Zee.
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
    Last edited by rjh; February 1, 2016, 11:21 AM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I did the windows upgrade procedure. I powered off/on the device and I am not able to connect anymore. the finder stills detect the ip address. What is the recovery procedure .

Comment

HomeTroller Zee is now dead after upgrade

I had the same experience. Have open ticket with HomeSeer Help Desk.

Comment

Try the following:
        Tools -> System -> Shutdown Homeseer
        Using something like WinSCP or FileZilla, copy the attached .DLL to your /usr/local/HomeSeer
        Reboot the Zee

Note that this is untested, but the attached DLL is v.17 of the X10 plugin that was running on my system prior to the last upgrade.

**Note the board will not accept .DLL files. Change the .ZIP extension to a .DLL
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rmasonjr; December 26, 2013, 05:17 PM. Reason: attachment and words
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Made a little drawing depicting the use of WinSCP and Homeseer directory backup.
          Attached Files
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Is it possible to downgrade this way also? say i now have .175 but want to go back to .163 by example is this possible or not recommended?
            Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Comment

I have never downgraded here.

I have though kept the directory before an upgrade such that I could fall back to a previous version of Homeseer.

Literally everything relating to Homeseer on the Zee is in one directory such that renaming or replacing the directory is very quick to do. You could probably just use the old directory and import the new HS configuration into it.

I've never tried this before though.

This is what makes Homeseer running on Linux easy.

You don't really install Homeseer on Linux like you do a Wintel version of Homeseer.

That said with Homeseer 2 I would copy the directory making a back up of it. If the update didn't work for me I would wipe it out and use the back up directory of Homeseer 2. Always worked for me.

You just run Homeseer wherever it happens to be sitting on a Linux device (directory wise).
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Problem using Putty or Winscp with my Zee S2

I have recently upgraded from HS2 to the new Zee S2 and have everything working fine on both the Z-wave and CM15A X10 devices. I have been impressed with how much faster the program is.

I have a few JPEG files I want to add to the Zee but have not been able to get Putty or Winscp to cooperate. After entering Login and Password I receive Access Denied and the prompt for password comes up again.

Is there a Step by Step for using these applications for someone who is new to the Zee and Linux software?

Am I better off just getting a trouble ticket for this?

Comment

Easiest for WinSCP to utilize root access and you shouldn't really have an issue using the default admin / password you configured when first starting the Zee-2.

It is not recommended to use root access. Please understand you can brick you Zee-2 messing with the files.

That said edit the following file as by default it is configured not to allow root access via SSH.

1 - nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
                  2 - change this line:
                  PermitRootLogin without-password
                  3 - to read like this:
                  PermitRootLogin yes
                  4 - change this line:
                  StrictModes yes
                  5 - to read like this:
                  #StrictModes yes
                  6 - change this line:
                  #PasswordAuthentication no
                  7 - to read like this:
                  PasswordAuthentication yes
                  8 - save you file
                  9 - restart ssh
                  service ssh restart
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Also use "homeseer" as username then your password. Then you will have root access. And you should be able to upload with WinSCP.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    Easiest for WinSCP to utilize root access and you shouldn't really have an issue using the default admin / password you configured when first starting the Zee-2.

It is not recommended to use root access. Please understand you can brick you Zee-2 messing with the files.

That said edit the following file as by default it is configured not to allow root access via SSH.

1 - nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
                    2 - change this line:
                    PermitRootLogin without-password
                    3 - to read like this:
                    PermitRootLogin yes
                    4 - change this line:
                    StrictModes yes
                    5 - to read like this:
                    #StrictModes yes
                    6 - change this line:
                    #PasswordAuthentication no
                    7 - to read like this:
                    PasswordAuthentication yes
                    8 - save you file
                    9 - restart ssh
                    service ssh restart
                    Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Comment

Working...
                    X