</pre>
    same error

I also tried
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    address = "www.yahoo.com"
    u = hs.ping(CStr(address), 0)
    </pre>
    same error

Why is this so hard to use and how is it supposed to be used?

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.

[This message was edited by Rupp on Wednesday, 09 October 2002 at 10:49 PM.]
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

It could be that icmp packets are dropped at their end.

-Nitrox

Comment

I can use ping www.yahoo.com just fine from the command prompt.

-Rupp

Comment

I have the same experience, unable to ping by name. I verified that 'ping' works properly from a command prompt and successfully resolves the name to an IP. From HS I get the 380 error. There was another thread on this about a month ago.

Wish I new what a 380 error means.

HomeSeer Environment:
        Pentium III 733mhz
        384mb PC133 SDRAM
        HS 1.6, W2K SP3
        MR26A, TI103
        X10 Pro PDT20 thermostat

Comment

It's a dll posted here. It's been around since before hs.ping. I call it with a function based on the code Stevech posted earlier in that thread.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Function ping(pIP,pTimeOut)
          ' Returns success of ping as True or False
          ' pTimeOut is milliseconds to wait

Dim sping

SET sping = CreateObject("SpingCtl.SPing.1")
          sping.RemoteHost = pIP
          sping.Timeout = pTimeOut
          sping.PacketSize = 32
          sping.DoHostResolution = FALSE
          sping.Blocking = FALSE
          sping.DoPing
          ping = cBool(sping.ReplyCode = 0)
          set sping = nothing

End Function
          </pre>

Paul

Comment

VB error 380 = "invalid property value". Looks like hs.ping only wants ip addresses.

Comment

The users manual states:

"Name or IP address of host to ping"

-Rupp

Comment

I agree, according to the manual it should work either way. It is broken, has anyone e-mailed Rich on it?

Comment

(I hope I do this right)

This is a previous thread with Rich's reply.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...4&m=1232916276

HomeSeer Environment:
                  Pentium III 733mhz
                  384mb PC133 SDRAM
                  HS 1.6, W2K SP3
                  MR26A, TI103
                  X10 Pro PDT20 thermostat

Comment

As you can see from my first post, I tried that (last section) and this too didn't work.

-Rupp

Comment

Leave off the www.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
                      strName = "yahoo.com"
                      intValue = hs.Ping(CStr(strName),5)
                      </pre>

Jeff Farmer

--
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone
                      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thanks. Why. Is there an implied www?

-Rupp

Comment

As to why hs.ping works that way, I don't know. That would be a Rich question. I just stumbled across it.

It may have to do with the fact that you register a domainname it does not have the www on it. Once the domainname is pointed to a server, the server than has to be setup to use www, mail, ftp, etc. So the www is not part of a domainname.

Jeff Farmer

--
                          Jeff Farmer
                          HS 3, HSPhone
                          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

The lookup is probably failing with the WWW. For ping, you really only need the host name or IP address.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC

Comment

www.yahoo.com maps to an IP exactly the same as yahoo.com does. In fact, for some domains, the base domain name will not have a DNS record pointing to an IP address, while the www version will; and for others, vice versa. yahoo.com is one where both exist, but point to different addresses, and you might get different results (one may be down, or one might not answer pings). There's nothing inherently better about with-www or without; they're both just DNS names.

But that's besides the point. The issue here isn't that the ping got send out and failed to come back, because that wouldn't be a problem. That's a successful result -- it means you asked a question (is there network connectivity to this place) and got an answer (no). That's exactly as successful an outcome as getting the ping reply back (same question, but a 'yes' answer).

The problem is that the ping never gets sent, the command never gets executed, the question never gets answered. The command aborts with an unhelpful error number as if it were passed an invalid parameter, even though the parameter is valid. This has happened both with IPs and DNS names. In fact, for someone else running the same script with the same parameter it might work. That's a problem with the command, not with your network connectivity or the server or its DNS entries.

hs.ping has been like this since day one, and though it's often been questioned, it's never been seriously investigated. Long ago I tried to use it and got inconsistent results. Usually, a constant would work, but a variable holding the same value would fail, no matter what type the variable was cast into. Other people could get it to work with the same code that didn't work for me, and vice versa. Eventually, I dismissed the command as unusable until fixed, and so it has remained. I was hoping this might be the time it gets looked at, but we've gotten sidetracked again.

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs
                              News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Working...
                              X