Kinect Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect Sale

In case anyone is looking, Gamestop have a buy 2 get 1 free on refurbished accessories, which includes the connect - lowest priced one is free, so it makes sense to have everything around the same price.

Kinects for 360 with no PSU are $15

Kinects for 360 with PSU are $25

Kinects for ONE (no idea about PSU) are $110.

So.. $220 for 3 Kinects for ONE isn't a bad deal. $30 for 3 Kinects for 360 with no PSU is a great deal.

So, in for 3 connects with no PSU (shipped), and 3 connects with PSU from local store. Sorry SPUD... Now, how many Kinects can I connect to a single PC

G

Thanks for the heads up, I got three more from them!

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post
      Sorry SPUD... Now, how many Kinects can I connect to a single PC
      You need one different USB bus for each Kinect. Usually several USB ports use the same USB bus, so you need to make sure to not plug 2 kinects in 2 ports that use the same bus.
      This is the only hardware limitation I'm aware of, AFAIK there isn't any software limitation.

Comment

Thanks for posting about the deal. I picked up 3 for $50-US today at my nearest GameStop.

Not sure what technology I need to get the USB back to the HS box, or can I use them remotely in some simple way.... Curious, but for now, too many other projects going on to put too much time into it.
        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
          Not sure what technology I need to get the USB back to the HS box, or can I use them remotely in some simple way.... Curious, but for now, too many other projects going on to put too much time into it.
          I would like to know this too. Do I have to setup a computer running windows 7 or better in every room I want Kinect to operate?
          Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
            I would like to know this too. Do I have to setup a computer running windows 7 or better in every room I want Kinect to operate?
            yes you need either the kinect sensor plug into a win 7 (or later) box, with the plugin running remotely on this box, or you can use some USB extenders cable, I have not tested this my self but one user reported the plugin works ok with this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Comment

I'm using a 25 foot Amazon Basics cable and its working well .... I was using Windows 8 Tablets in 3 rooms for my tests and decided to centralize the downstairs to a new "Kinect Server"

Comment

Yup; purchased a few Kinects without PS's and found some on Ebay for around ~$7 each.

How many can you plug in to Homeseer?

Can you run the plugin remotely talking to HS3 running on Linux?
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Yup; purchased a few Kinects without PS's and found some on Ebay for around ~$7 each.

How many can you plug in to Homeseer?

Nope. It can only run on Windows and only on specific versions of Windows at that! You need to install the Kinect SDK on the system the remote plugin in running on and it stands to reason that MS hasn't released such software for Linux.
                  Originally posted by rprade
                  There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                    Nope. It can only run on Windows and only on specific versions of Windows at that! You need to install the Kinect SDK on the system the remote plugin in running on and it stands to reason that MS hasn't released such software for Linux.
                    Hang on now... Maybe that statement won't hold true for long???

http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page
                    Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

The plugin needs to run on Windows 7 or later (because of the Kinect SDK) but you can run it remotely and it should be able to talk to your HS3 running on Linux, although I have never tested this particular configuration myself

Comment

I'm curious if you could use a RasPI with USB server emulation software to get the kinect back to the HS3 machine.

http://virtualhere.com/

It emulates the USB layer 2 so there should be no issues with the kinect SDK running on the HS3 machine. The usb server/client is invisible to the OS level), and it looks like a local USB port on the guest.

I know there have been some bandwidth issues running megapixel USB cameras back over it, but I'm not sure how much bandwidth the kinect actually uses, i'd assume it is pretty heavy.

This is one of those things on my "todo" list someday, but it sure would be a simple and cheap solution for putting kinects in a couple of distant rooms that have Ethernet drops already.

Comment

Originally posted by ORNVM View Post
                          I'm curious if you could use a RasPI with USB server emulation software to get the kinect back to the HS3 machine.

http://virtualhere.com/

It emulates the USB layer 2 so there should be no issues with the kinect SDK running on the HS3 machine. The usb server/client is invisible to the OS level), and it looks like a local USB port on the guest.

I know there have been some bandwidth issues running megapixel USB cameras back over it, but I'm not sure how much bandwidth the kinect actually uses, i'd assume it is pretty heavy.

This is one of those things on my "todo" list someday, but it sure would be a simple and cheap solution for putting kinects in a couple of distant rooms that have Ethernet drops already.
                          the kinect is very picky on USB ports but it definitely worth a try

Comment

Actually I tried this and the Developer that wrote the Pi plugin and I were working together to test it and it doesn't work - he fully understood why, but its a Pi related thing.

He thought a Beagle might be able to, but he wasn't sure....

So because of that, This year I'm doing more remote Kinect's using the small 7 or 8" Windows Tablets that are $50 (Price now is about $75) -- They are working GREAT for this and they only take about 6 Watts when the screen is on....

Comment

What tablets are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X