This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running as a service

Should the Sage WebcamXP Interface work when Webcam is running as a service?

Honestly, I didn't realize it could be run as a service. However, I believe that the answer is no because the old communication interface that they use relies on having an webcamxp window to initiate communication.
    - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me.
      It runs very well as a service and (of course) obviates the need to fire up the program on reboot.
      I'm experimenting with the plugin - but already I have had to restart the program for no clear reason. I have previously left it running as a service for weeks with no issues.

Comment

I have mine in the startup group which will start automatically. However, I agree, I generally like to run this kind of thing as a service, but not much I can do about that part. Which part did you have to restart; webcamxp, the sagewebcamxp agent, or the homeseer (running the plugin)?
        - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
        Web Site
        YouTube Channel

Comment

The webcam program itself. It has now been running for 24 hours so maybe the earlier crash was just a glitch. I'm running it on Server 2012E.
          I don't generally logon to the server unless I need to - so running as a service suits me better.
          I will experiment using task scheduler to start both the program and the interface whether the user is logged on or not - when I can find time.

Comment

Hmmm. Webcam closed again by itself. It doesn't seem as stable as when running as a service. Time to look at Windows logs.

Comment

Working...
            X