No announcement yet.

Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave Z-wave Pool/Spa/Home Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to make the thermostat work, you need to set the fireman timeout, and set the poll rate...

I also was never able to make the portable work, it sits in a box
    Last edited by gearyt; July 20, 2015, 03:05 PM.
    Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

gearyt, thanks for the reply. Setting the fireman timeout gets me the temp reading. I didn't have to play with the polling rate. If not set (all 0's) what rate does it use?

I'm going to keep playing with getting the remote to work. I liked having the temps at hand and being able to switch the pool stuff on with a waterproof remote. I may try contacting intermatic.

Thanks, Dan

Comment

let me know if you figure it out

I was using duplicate controller but get an "out of range" everytime I xfer

Comment

Originally posted by st1100pilot View Post
          So I'm coming in late to this thread but I've just recently become interested in automating my pool hardware and like others, remote control via the Internet is a primary objective.

I see long-standing frustration over the lack of proper Z-wave communication between the Intermatic PE653RC & Homeseer. And based on the date that this thread began it seems little progress has been made in a number of years.

So as a homeowner who currently has completely manual pool hardware, why would I bother with the PE653RC? I have a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump and I'm thinking I may as well purchase the Intellicom 2 communication module and then mate it to Z-wave relay modules which can fire the appropriate Intermatic valve actuators (connected to a 24VAC transformer) & heater fireman's switch. Then I have complete control of the pump and valves and heater and don't have to fight with proprietary Z-wave within the PE653RC. The only thing I don't get is a local remote but there are lots of inexpensive Z-wave scene button modules that could be permanently mounted and not have battery issues or risk getting lost or damaged.
          So I bench-tested my solution and installed it in August. It has been working flawlessly since then. So here's a summary of what I did. I wanted to automate the following items:
          3 - Jandy valves (heater bypass, waterfall feature, and drain vs. vacuum
          1 - Heater fireman's switch (e.g. heater on/off)
          1 - Intellicom pump speeds (1 & 2)
          1 - Pool light

Since it seems that having a pool automation controller like the Intellitouch or PE653 does little to facilitate remote smartphone or internet automation I figured I may as well build my own solution. I also wanted to make it easy to troubleshoot and or bypass my automation solution should something go wrong. By using 12VDC transformers powered by Z-wave receptacles that in turn fired DPDT relays I have the ability to diagnose and/or troubleshoot various scenarios by applying 120VAC at various points. Essentially the components of my system are as follows:

6 - GE Z-wave receptacles
          1 - GE Z-wave light switch
          7 - 12 volt DC plug-in transformers
          4 - 12 volt DPDT relays
          1 - 24VAC transformer
          1 - Intellicom II pump interface adapter module
          3 - Intermatic PE24VA 24VAC jandy valve actuator

The jandy valve actuators essentially have two set points. Applying 24VAC to one lead stops the valve at one position, applying 24VAC to the other lead moves and stops the valve at the 2nd position. By using a DPDT relay I can control the two positions with a single output. Apply 12VDC to the relay and it moves to one position, remove 12VDC to the relay and it moves to the other position. I've attached a photo of my control box with Z-wave devices, relays, pump controller, etc.

The only item that is not displayed is the light switch controlling my pool light as it's in the original pool timer box.

I now have Homeseer remote control of my 3 jandy valves, Intellitouch pump, pool heater and pool light and I've simplified some of these functions for local use with an inexpensive Z-wave minimote.

Total investment not including the Homeseer is ~ US$771.00. This is a fraction of what I was coming up with for any other comparable solution.
          Last edited by st1100pilot; October 10, 2015, 05:41 PM. Reason: remove duplicate quote

Comment

Z-wave pool automation

Try again with a photo
            Click image for larger version

Name:	z-wave pool automation (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1180638

Comment

Hello everyone. I have read many posts on the pe653rc. Does this work with hs3? Right now I am using it with the remote alone. I know some people have it working but with mods.

I need temperature control using the fireman switch on port 5. Before I spend money on the software I want to know if it will work. If it does can I still use the remote?

Any info would be great

Comment

I never got the remote and HS to play together.. use HS only

Comment

I download homeseer 3, I would like to test this software with my pe653rc, so far it's really getting to me. I cleared all my info from both devices. In homeseer I do add node. it works. I see many switches and temperature sensors. however. Before I get to the temperature settings I am testing it out by just switching the relays on/off. when ever I send any commands to the pe653rc it reboots. I click relay 1, on/off. after a few seconds the include light blinks for about 2 seconds. it does the same thing when I power the unit on. the relay does not switch.

I am able to get temperature readings from the sensors. Well one at least.

Anyone had this problem?

Comment

You have no idea how long I have been trying to get this to work. I think it time to say that this product doesn't work with home seer. I followed the instruction to the letter and bricked two controllers. Intermatic replaced both. It was to easy. Why you think? Maybe they have bugs? They told me the only z wave network it works with is Vera. Stand alone with its remote is great. ZWave network forget it.

I bought this unit for Zwave, I feel I am settling for a remote only.

I would like it to work with hs3,where I can change temperature from my phone on the bus. Then once home use the remote near the pool? Asking too much?

Has anyone gotten this to work with hs3 and the remote. Please share?

Comment

did anyone get this to work?

Hi guys
                      did anyone ges this to work?
                      or does anyone have an alternative?

I have a client who would like to have a nice jacuzzy and it would be nicer with automation.

Comment

Alternative or HARD wire hack to run the PE653 remotely

Hello, here is an Alternative to connect up the Intermatic PE653 to a Z-Wave Home controller.
                        All I wanted to do is be able to put my Pool in what I call Spa mode remotely away from home (Switch the valves, turn on the main pump and heater) all done by the PE653.
                        The information below is a way to remotely run the 5 functions (Relays) of the PE653 using a Z Wave controller and associated Z-Wave Relays. (NOTE this does not give any feedback as to TEMP, TEMP control, Status of button Position "on/off" within the PE653)
                        Simple explanation of what I did is I HARD wired directly to the 5 momentary switches located on the PE653 front control board (See Photo) and installed Z Wave momentary relays to act as though you were standing in front of the Intermatic PE653 pushing the buttons!!!
                        Solder wires to the top left pin of all 5 switches. 1 Common wire can be attached to the Bottom of any switch or to the solder hole I found on the board as seen on the Attached Photo.
                        NOTE: You must use a MIMOlite relay on Switch 1.MIMOlite allow the relay to act as a "Momentary" Switch. In your Z Wave Controller set the Scene control to "When turned ON to immediately turn OFF" Remove the J5 jumper as stated in the MIMOlite instructions that turns this unit into a Momentary Switch.This relay reacts very fast which is what the Switch 1 on the PE653 works best (Quick ON then OFF).If there is any long delay and the relay holds closed too long then it will not trigger the internal relay in the PE653 or will lock it up.(You must have access to 120V outlet.MIMOlite has 9V power transformer)
                        I used a ZMF-80 (Wired to 120V) on the other switches with no problems and set the Scene control also to "When turned ON to immediately turn OFF"You can use MIMOlite on all the switches if you want but they are more expensive than the ZMF-80.
                        ENJOY RUNNING THE PE653 FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE OR TABLET!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would still like to this thing to work, and I seem to try every couple of months, but I have gotten no where. The individual switches don't work, and I can not set the device mode to Pool/Spa/Both. I tried to add it again today and here is the log:

Nov-19 1:18:46 PM Z-Wave 8 out of 8 Child devices of node 52 were created successfully.
                          Nov-19 1:18:45 PM Z-Wave The clock on Node 52 Z-Wave Intermatic Switch Binary is on a 24 Hour setting (no day of the week) with a current time of 23:10.
                          Nov-19 1:18:45 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for Node 52 Z-Wave Intermatic Switch Binary
                          Nov-19 1:18:44 PM Z-Wave Assigning return route from node 1 to Node 52 Z-Wave Intermatic Switch Binary
                          Nov-19 1:18:44 PM Z-Wave HS zNet: Adding association for Z-Wave device Node 52 Z-Wave Intermatic Switch Binary (Node 52, Group 1) to HomeSeer
                          Nov-19 1:18:44 PM Z-Wave Root Node Device Node 52 Z-Wave Intermatic Switch Binary was created for node 52 on network 014CE135
                          Nov-19 1:18:44 PM Z-Wave All associations for node 52 have been retrieved successfully, it supports associations on these groups: 1.
                          Nov-19 1:18:44 PM Z-Wave Node 52 Association Group 1 can have 5 associations, and currently has 0
                          Nov-19 1:18:44 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for node 52
                          Nov-19 1:18:44 PM Z-Wave Node 52 Supports Thermostat Setpoint CC and supports these setpoints: Heating 1, Furnace
                          Nov-19 1:18:44 PM Z-Wave Warning Adjustments have been made for Intermatic PE653 at node 52 which is improperly reporting supported thermostat setpoint types.
                          Nov-19 1:18:43 PM Z-Wave Processing Information for Node 52 Multi-CHANNEL Command Class of SWITCH_BINARY, Endpoint 5
                          Nov-19 1:18:43 PM Z-Wave Processing Information for Node 52 Multi-CHANNEL Command Class of SWITCH_BINARY, Endpoint 4
                          Nov-19 1:18:43 PM Z-Wave Processing Information for Node 52 Multi-CHANNEL Command Class of SWITCH_BINARY, Endpoint 3
                          Nov-19 1:18:43 PM Z-Wave Processing Information for Node 52 Multi-CHANNEL Command Class of SWITCH_BINARY, Endpoint 2
                          Nov-19 1:18:43 PM Z-Wave Processing Information for Node 52 Multi-CHANNEL Command Class of SWITCH_BINARY, Endpoint 1
                          Nov-19 1:18:42 PM Z-Wave Node 52 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.78 App: 3.4
                          Nov-19 1:18:42 PM Z-Wave Node: 52 Controls Class(es): BASIC_V2
                          Nov-19 1:18:42 PM Z-Wave Node: 52 Supports Class(es): MANUFACTURER_PROPRIETARY, POWERLEVEL, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC_V2, VERSION_V2, CLOCK, MULTI_CHANNEL_V3, CONFIGURATION_V4, ASSOCIATION_V2, SWITCH_BINARY, SWITCH_ALL, THERMOSTAT_SETPOINT, SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_V7
                          Nov-19 1:18:42 PM Z-Wave Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 52, ID: 5=5H (Intermatic), Type: 20549=5045H, ID: 1619=653H
                          Nov-19 1:18:42 PM Z-Wave Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 1
                          Nov-19 1:18:40 PM Z-Wave HS zNet: Controller firmware version: 4.32
                          Nov-19 1:18:40 PM Z-Wave HS zNet: Controller Manufacturer: Express Controls, ID=0x2, Type=0x5
                          Nov-19 1:18:39 PM Z-Wave Done. Node 52 Added.

Comment

Any Updates?

I have had the same experience as some others: when including the PE953 in the Homeseer network, everything (all switches and temp) appears to be created correctly, yet any attempt to use a switch (or poll the unit) results in the unit rebooting (which means any running switches turn off). In short, total fail. The remote-created network (created finally as a fallback) works fine.

It seems that earlier posters had success including this unit, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the firmware version. The current one (v3.4) is what I have installed, and one earlier poster mentioned that Intermatic had suggested using v3.3. Might a downgrade work?

Any thoughts about how I might get the unit to work with Homeseer would be greatly appreciated, as it seems to be a great solution for simple pool automation. Thanks.

Comment

Pe653rc

I just installed unit. I have not tried to add to my homeseer net work yet. I am using Hometroller zee.

Hoping to upgrade to Htsel soon but having trouble transferring all 100 nodes and events.

I was hoping HomeSeer would have fixed bugs by now since adding the Pe653rc has been discussed alll the way back to 2006.

I will let you know if I have any luck.

Comment

You actually got the Pe653rc to work with your home seer network. Wow how did you do that?

Comment

Working...
                                X