Some comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some comments and questions

I like this plugin. It's simple and gets yr.no data into HomeSeer easily so I don't have to do it myself.

But there's something going on that I can't figure out, and since there's no user manual, I'll just ask:

1. What is "Runing 6h Day interval" and what devices does it create?

2. Is it possible to get a forecast for a complete day instead of MDEN?
    I want to know the total amount of rain tomorrow.

3. ... and last, and I'm not trying to be rude, but still:
    Why is this plugin $30...?
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    Because answering these questions will cost him about 20 - 30 bucks of his free time?
    Seriously, I think PIs should be higher priced. The marked is small and it would motivate more developers.
    I see how much time they spend supporting their plugins here in the forums. And they do this for a plugin that costs the average Norwegian, less than one working hour.

And since you are from Norway, this is about one third of the price of a fibaro module, an my guess is that you have a lot of those.
    I personally have z-wave devices for thousands of usd. Plus my two Onkyo receivers, my flat screen TVs, my Nexas, Oregon sientifics, viewsonics and... you know the drill
    In that perspective, what is a couple of USD on a plugin and software that works, and save you a lot of time?

My 2 cents..

Comment

Originally posted by markus.bergvoll View Post
      Because answering these questions will cost him about 20 - 30 bucks of his free time?
      Do you actually think he can charge by the hour?

My guess is that home automation is a hobby for the plugin author. I don't think it's his living, just as it isn't mine. This is a community forum, where people meet to help each other out. I spend my hours here aswell as you helping and getting help, but I don't make a cent doing so.

My plugins are free.

Seriously, I think PIs should be higher priced. The marked is small and it would motivate more developers.
      I see how much time they spend supporting their plugins here in the forums. And they do this for a plugin that costs the average Norwegian, less than one working hour.
      I actually do agree with you. Plugins should be higher priced. But they're not...

In that perspective, what is a couple of USD on a plugin and software that works, and save you a lot of time?
      Because buying this plugin will not save me "alot of time". Just "some time". Parsing an XML-file isn't that much work. I value the plugin on the amount of time I have to spend coding functionality I want. If it's worth it, I can pay almost anything, but I have to feel like it's worth it!

To compare, the weatherXML plugin is way more configurable and it's free. (But sadly for me it does not do exactly what I want to get from yr.no. I was about to ask the plugin author to add rain forecast, but then discovered he's got colon cancer, so I could not bring myself to do it).

The Arduino plugin and RFXCOM is worth at least $50 IMHO. HomeSeer is an american product, and we operate with american prices. The prices are partly set by the marked, and I remember a poll a year or two ago aswell.

Yes, Norway is a wealthy country, and Z-wave modules are much more expensive here compared to the US, but so what?
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I see that I can see myself as a cheap prick in this conversation.
        That is really not the case. I just have to justify the price.

I could afford a KNX system if I wanted one, but I can't justify it. See?

... and when it comes to it, it might just shell out for the plugin anyway, just to save me 30 minutes of coding.

Comment

Not a cheap "P***"...
          Cant have HA as a hobby if we are cheap. I was just trying to justify the price. I spend ridiculous amounts of money on HW. My spending on SW and PIs is just a drop in the ocean.

I'm very happy that people does stuff for free, and this community is the best showcase for that, that I have seen. But I'm thinking that i cant expect it.

I couldn't parse an XML feed even if a gun was pointed to my head.
          I have two kids (3.5 and 1.5 years old) After the second arrived, i cant spend as much time as want tinkering. "Pleeeaaase just work!" is my new mantra

I'm with you on "value for money".

Comment

I have two kids (3.5 and 1.5 years old) After the second arrived, i cant spend as much time as want tinkering. "Pleeeaaase just work!" is my new mantra
            I'm in the same boat. I have two daughters, 3 years (born in march) and 1 year (in june), so I know the feeling.

I'm in "pappaperm" at the moment, and loving it! But I have to keep my brain from not degenerating completely, so I've actually managed to do a couple of small projects (in nap times and some evenings). I've gotten our Somfy shades (zip screens) programmed nicely with an RFXtrxE, and I've made a sprinkler system with some valves, an Arduino board and the Arduino plugin.

Took me a few weeks (compared to a couple of nights if I didn't have kids), so I value my spare time.

Comment

1. What is "Runing 6h Day interval" and what devices does it create?
              Runing 6h interval will create devices that has weather data for the first 6h in the first set of devices and data for the next 6h in the next set of devices.

Much like MDEN device types, exept the MDEN devices will always give you weather data for daytime in D...

why do you need this?
              well if you want to create a page in HStouch like the one attached you need runing 6h and not MDEN type of devices

2. Is it possible to get a forecast for a complete day instead of MDEN?
              I want to know the total amount of rain tomorrow.
              This type of data is not provided by the API, but must be aggregated.
              I can add 2 devices, rain next 24 h (based on the 4 first running 6h data samples) and rain tomorrow (using the MDEN devices to get tomorrows rain).

Like it or not, but after HST have taken their cut I'm left with just enough money to buy two pints of beer in the local pub.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
                Runing 6h interval will create devices that has weather data for the first 6h in the first set of devices and data for the next 6h in the next set of devices.
                Ah, OK, that makes sense.

I'd still like to see a little more sensible names on the devices though. I've enabled forecast for N1, M1, D1 and E1, and the devices are named "1.0d-Rain" to "1.4d-Rain". It's rather hard to know what device is what.

This type of data is not provided by the API, but must be aggregated.
                I can add 2 devices, rain next 24 h (based on the 4 first running 6h data samples) and rain tomorrow (using the MDEN devices to get tomorrows rain).
                That would have been awesome. I can do it with a script, but it would be easier if it's already done.

Like it or not, but after HST have taken their cut I'm left with just enough money to buy two pints of beer in the local pub.
                I know, I live here too. But still, I value what the plugin do, not what the beer costs where it was made.

Still, after a little clicking around, I see that it is worth some money. I'm still not sure it's worth $30, but I'll pay that if you promise to buy good beer...

Comment

I'd still like to see a little more sensible names on the devices though. I've enabled forecast for N1, M1, D1 and E1, and the devices are named "1.0d-Rain" to "1.4d-Rain". It's rather hard to know what device is what.
                  I agree, they should be named better. I will fix this. the naming is just some leftover from the initial releases, but can now be set to whatever.
                  I will reflect the MDEN in the device Names.

That would have been awesome. I can do it with a script, but it would be easier if it's already done.
                  Good - I will add this. I do need this myself for when I do make the full transition to HS3 to do some irrigation logic...

I know, I live here too. But still, I value what the plugin do, not what the beer costs where it was made.

Still, after a little clicking around, I see that it is worth some money. I'm still not sure it's worth $30, but I'll pay that if you promise to buy good beer...
                  I only buy good beer

Comment

Moskus,

sorry for the delay in making this change, but I have a 14 weeks old daughter at home that demands a lot of attention.

Anyway, please try the attached version. This version have changed the 1.0d device names created, although you are free to set them to whatever you want afterwards.
                    The new version also have RainNext24h for all Running6H devices and for all Night devices - giving rain total rain that day.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Moskus,

sorry for the delay in making this change, but I have a 14 weeks old daughter at home that demands a lot of attention.

Anyway, please try the attached version. This version have changed the 1.0d device names created, although you are free to set them to whatever you want afterwards.
                      The new version also have RainNext24h for all Running6H devices and for all Night devices - giving rain total rain that day.
                      No rush, man. It's vacation time!

... and your daughter deserves your time more than we do.

Comment

Hmm... I get this error (but not very informative):
                        Code:
                        Install/Update of package YR_Weather failed.

EDIT: Aaarg. I had to manually shut down the plugin first. Because that was logical...

Comment

Did you deactivate the plug in first?

Comment

EDIT: Aaarg. I had to manually shut down the plugin first. Because that was logical...
                            I experience this with almost all plug in updates, not sure why...

Comment

I experience this with almost all plug in updates, not sure why...
                              First time seing that.

But thanks for the update, it was just what I was looking for!

Comment

Working...
                              X