Rain8 Pro + Input Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain8 Pro + Input Support?

I just bought the Rain8 Pro with an Input for rain sensor - does the Rain8Net plugin support the input sensor?

So in an event I can check the status of the rain sensor to see if I want to turn on valves?

Want to make sure before I buy it.

Is this plugin still supported?

Comment

There's more than one plug-in that supports this protocol. Homeseer Tech has one too. You may want to check that one out as well.

Steve

Comment

mcsSprinklers does support it, but I think it is only with the PRO version of the plugin. It is used for either a water usage counter or as an external inhibit discrete with mcsSprinklers.

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
          There's more than one plug-in that supports this protocol. Homeseer Tech has one too. You may want to check that one out as well.

Steve
          I tried the one that came with HSPRo (rainrelay8) but didn't see any input support on that either. Am I missing it somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            mcsSprinklers does support it, but I think it is only with the PRO version of the plugin. It is used for either a water usage counter or as an external inhibit discrete with mcsSprinklers.
            Yeah... I'm trying to avoid 150$ on an irrigation software controller... But if none of the other plugins support the input sensor on the pro unit, maybe ill have to bite the bullet.

Comment

You should assess why you want the rain sensor input. If all you are going to do is use it to inhibit the irrigation cycles when the sensor contains moisture then just connect the sensor to the 24VAC so the valves do not have any power when the sensor is wet.

Using weather information from the Web and an ET calculation will do a better job of determining when irrigatin should occur than a little sponge.

Comment

Originally posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
                I tried the one that came with HSPRo (rainrelay8) but didn't see any input support on that either. Am I missing it somewhere?
                I didn't mean to imply that either of the plug-ins support the sensor. I was just suggesting that you check them both out in case one did.

As it happens there has been a dialog in the Snevl Sprinklers thread about support for a rain sensor, and I'm adding that for the next version (hopefully out this week). Unfortunately, Snevl Sprinklers works *WITH* the Rain8Net plug-ins, so if the rain sensor isn't supported by them there's nothing I can do.

Also: I don't know if Larry ever fixed it, but his Rain8Net plug-in (the one this discussion thread is under) didn't used to support using HS device ON/OFF to turn valves ON and OFF. That prevents stuff like Snevl Sprinklers from working with it.

A couple of times I have thought about adding direct support for Rain8Net into Snevl Sprinklers. The protocol is pretty simple, so it wouldn't be difficult. Unfortunately, I don't have a Rain8Net myself to develop / test with. Since Snevl Sprinklers is free, I don't really have the cash flow to buy one that I won't be using myself. I'll think about it thought.

Steve

Comment

I will look into your requests later next week. I am currently suffering the loss of my father.
                  -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
                  VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
                  Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Working...
                  X