GE Switch stopped communicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE Switch stopped communicating

I have a Z-Net controller with HS3 using the latest Z-Wave Beta plugin and have a GE / Jasco light switch that stopped communicating a number of days ago. The light switch itself works fine if I manually press the button for on or off. All other Z-Wave devices work just fine as well. If I try to rescan the node or test the communications it doesn't find the node. It happens to be one of the closest nodes to the Z-Net controller and there is another GE switch directly next to it that works fine. I know I can remove the node and try to re-add it but I have it in a bunch of events and such and would rather not have to redo all of that. Are there any tricks to try to wake this node up without the need to remove the node?

Thanks

I hate to say it, but I think you have a dead device. I had a GE/Jasco plug-in module that gave up the ghost in the same way. I could control it locally, but not via Z-Wave.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
      I hate to say it, but I think you have a dead device. I had a GE/Jasco plug-in module that gave up the ghost in the same way. I could control it locally, but not via Z-Wave.
      I pretty much came to that conclusion but I figured I would see if anyone had any tricks to try first before I replace it. It's only about 6 months old so a bummer that it died so quickly.

Thanks

Comment

I had one that was like that right out of the box. Had to return it.
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

I have returned 2 modules that died during the warranty period. GE replaced them. No problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I have two GE/Jasco light switches that, from time to time, stop functioning manually for a short period of time. One is in the kitchen and I go to manually turn it on and nothing happens. After fiddling with it for a moment... sometimes fiddling with it's auxillary switch, it eventually turns on and seems to work fine again. The other is in the bathroom and when existing the bathroom and trying to turn off the light, it doesn't turn off. Again, fiddling with it (repeatedly clicking on and off) it finally turns off after a moment and is back to working normally again.

It's only those two switches out of a whole house of Jasco switches that have the problem, and it's fairly rare that it happens. I don't think there's any issue with the z-wave radio but I've never tested the z-wave functions at the point in which they seem dead since they come back to life after a short moment of fiddling.

Anyone encountered that type of problem? Almost feel like maybe I need to pull them out and inspect the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
              I have two GE/Jasco light switches that, from time to time, stop functioning manually for a short period of time. One is in the kitchen and I go to manually turn it on and nothing happens. After fiddling with it for a moment... sometimes fiddling with it's auxillary switch, it eventually turns on and seems to work fine again. The other is in the bathroom and when existing the bathroom and trying to turn off the light, it doesn't turn off. Again, fiddling with it (repeatedly clicking on and off) it finally turns off after a moment and is back to working normally again.

It's only those two switches out of a whole house of Jasco switches that have the problem, and it's fairly rare that it happens. I don't think there's any issue with the z-wave radio but I've never tested the z-wave functions at the point in which they seem dead since they come back to life after a short moment of fiddling.

Anyone encountered that type of problem? Almost feel like maybe I need to pull them out and inspect the wiring.
              My garage switch is like that if I push it into the box it doesn't work right, but letting it hang out it works fine. Must be the pressure on the wires warping the circuit board or something.
              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

As a coincidence, I had bought a bunch of DSC24-ZWUS Aeotec smart switches (second generation) a number of months ago -- great deal on eBay. Finally this past week used them. All worked no problems, except one.

Included properly, functioned properly, and then two hours in, just decided to forget about the network it was included in, and the light started flashing again as if it had never been part of a network. Figured the add node didn't "stick" so I tried it again, and all again was well.

This morning it died again.

Too long past the point of purchase to return, but you do get duds from time to time.

This is the third Z-Wave device that has died for me. First was a Honeywell thermostat that lost its screen. Worked perfectly -- but local control obviously wasn't possible. Second was after a power outage a GE plug-in switch would work locally but not remotely. And now this one out of the box.

Frankly, for the quality coming out of China these days, I expect this. In the past year I've had *NETWORK* and *USB* cables go bad, which has blown my mind.

Comment

FYI, even though I could no longer communicate directly with the device using the original Node ID or reference ID with HS3 I was able to do a REMOVE DEVICE thru my Z-Tool + software on my phone and then Re-Add it back in as a new Node. The switch works just fine again now but I did have some trouble removing the old Node reference. After removing and adding back in the Node I could still see the old device and Node ID in the Device Management tab of the HS3 software. So I deleted that node and it removed it from the device management tab but I still see the original node ID in the Z-Wave Plug-in Node Information page. It just doesn't have most of the information filled in anymore for that Node ID. I am not sure how to delete that left over Node ID.

Comment

Try to remove it from the Z-Wave controller. I.e., in the node list, select the errant node, and then go to the z-wave tab and see if you can remove it. Even if it says that there was an error removing it, it may still have been removed (this has been my experience). Reboot HS3, and see if it's there.

Comment

Working...
                    X