Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RING doorbell now works with homseer via IFTTT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
    I am still working out how to get a still from the security cam I already have pointed at the door.

I am doing this with a motion trigger from my front door cam. I am using BlueIris for my cams and the front door cam has a very precise motion trigger mask defined that only triggers for the portion of the image that I care about. This removes false triggers for vehicles and foliage blowing in the wind etc. I have a 'make time' of ~2 seconds, which means that I also get a video recording that starts 2s ahead of the trigger. BI sends me emails with stills and vid clips. I also use the web post option from BI to hit up HS3 with a JSON run event command and this triggers all sorts of linked events depending on time of day and whether it's Chrsitmas/Halloween etc.

This is completely independent of my doorbell, but rings a doorbell chime on my Sonos players when I want it to.
    cheeryfool

Comment

Cheeryfool, Very nice setup. I think this with Waynehead99's mysensor doorbell is a good fit.

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
      I am doing this with a motion trigger from my front door cam. I am using BlueIris for my cams and the front door cam has a very precise motion trigger mask defined that only triggers for the portion of the image that I care about. This removes false triggers for vehicles and foliage blowing in the wind etc. I have a 'make time' of ~2 seconds, which means that I also get a video recording that starts 2s ahead of the trigger. BI sends me emails with stills and vid clips. I also use the web post option from BI to hit up HS3 with a JSON run event command and this triggers all sorts of linked events depending on time of day and whether it's Chrsitmas/Halloween etc.

This is completely independent of my doorbell, but rings a doorbell chime on my Sonos players when I want it to.
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

There is an article here about how to hack the WIFII password thru the Ring doorbell. I think some of the comments are pretty funny .

Comment

Originally posted by Gunneyk View Post
          There is an article here about how to hack the WIFII password thru the Ring doorbell. I think some of the comments are pretty funny .
          I believe that they push a patch for that pretty quickly, from what i've heard.

I got one of these a while back. I found it to work pretty well. I am not a big fan of the cloud stuff, but I got it anyway. If you are using IFTTT, not only are you relying on that cloud vendor, but ring.com as well. If you have have the wires connected, I guess there is, at least, a backup. I don't think it was mentioned here, but you have to pay for storing the videos on their server. Just to note for those of you thinking about getting one.

I am thinking that if I had to do it over again, (and I may), I would probably just create my own setup with ip camera, switch, and possibly motion sensor unless I wanted to use video motion detection. You just get more options and better control. You can store the video on your own server without paying. You can integrated it better into HS without the cloud path. (as others have mentioned) One other thing is that there is not ability to turn on the camera without the button being pressed or motion. I would also like to have the unlock button on the screen with the camera. The thing that I don't know how to do would be the two-way audio if I had my own setup.

Ideally, I would have a button the notification video screen that would allow me to turn the light on and another to unlock the door. I think that they have some integration -- I think it is wink if I remember correctly.

On their website they also say that they plan to have an API, but give no time frame. Somehow, I think that will not come soon or at all, but I hope I am wrong.
          - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
          Web Site
          YouTube Channel

Comment

If you wire the Ring to your existing doorbell wiring, doesn't it still ring your original bell? I think it must from what I've seen.

So you should still be able to detect your doorbell button press from the bell's transformer. I do that with a UPB-UMI module. Works perfect, even for quick presses. This way you don't have the IFTTT delay or dependency.

I'm also looking at getting the Ring Pro.
            -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
            Way2 Call
            Elk M1 Gold
            UPB HAI switches
            HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Brilliant hack. Except when you approach it to remove it from the wall it alarms, sends to my phone, and records video and audio of the "hacker" touching my property. Please go ahead and enter my system now so I can locate you. My number one concern was someone simply snagging the thing but Ring claims lifetime warranty against theft (startup guys probably have a different concept of lifetime than I do). That is the one glaring advantage of the cloud. The surveillance recording is immediately isolated from the intrusion site.

The Ring works very well and is very consistent. The fisheye view sees my entire driveway even though the camera is pointed perpindicular to it. Audio is a little weak. I do have a strong wifi signal though.

IFTTT I am far less impressed with. Before HomeSeer I used it to connect the Echo to other devices. Echo->cloud->IFTTT->cloud->Wink->cloud->door lock just isn't going to cut it. The delays can be bad. I have Tasker automatically open the Ring app when the notification comes in, almost immediately. Putting IFTTT in that loop to get Wink to open the door was never even a practical consideration. Too slow, not reliable, and doesn't even trust itself. Wink won't automate opening the door lock, only locking it.

Comment

So I was looking at home automation with Ring. It looks like they have Ring Plus where they integrate with locks: https://ring.com/plus

I was thinking of getting ring pro when it comes out. Any chance I can use the unlock button in ring app (using a ring plus app) to somehow unlock my screen door? Can the IFFTT integration work with the door lock?

Comment

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
                  IFTTT I am far less impressed with. Before HomeSeer I used it to connect the Echo to other devices. Echo->cloud->IFTTT->cloud->Wink->cloud->door lock just isn't going to cut it. The delays can be bad. I have Tasker automatically open the Ring app when the notification comes in, almost immediately. Putting IFTTT in that loop to get Wink to open the door was never even a practical consideration. Too slow, not reliable, and doesn't even trust itself. Wink won't automate opening the door lock, only locking it.
                  IFTTT can be very inconsistent. However most of the time, I hear my voice announcement that I setup before I hear the chime on my ring phone app. On the other hand, my echo to harmony IFTTT is extremely slow. I think that it is not working and then a minute later it will do it.
                  - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                  Web Site
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

I just preordered the Ring Pro today. They are scheduled to ship the end of this month.

It looks like you have to add an additional power bridge on the ringer bell in the house.

http://youtu.be/0d9eYRgFvXc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    -Tim

Way2 Call
                    Elk M1 Gold
                    UPB HAI switches
                    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Looks like they have some integration with ADT now. Wonder if we can tap into that somehow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Nj6janZpY
                      -Tim

Way2 Call
                      Elk M1 Gold
                      UPB HAI switches
                      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

They now have Wink integration.

Be really cool if I could use HomeSeer to unlock my door from the ring.com app.

Comment

Is it necessary to have the cloud service in order to make this work?
                          Hector
                          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                            Is it necessary to have the cloud service in order to make this work?
                            You will need the could setup for both Ring and HS to use this kind of recipe.
                            - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                            Web Site
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

Ok, have done some debugging of the ring.com app with my new Ring Pro.

First, if HS was to ever direct connect, it would need to support SIP. This is how the "Live View" works (replaced my values with 911):
                              Code:
                              [{"id":911911911,"state":"ringing","protocol":"sip","doorbot_id":911911,"doorbot_description":"Front Door","device_kind":"lpd_v1","motion":false,"snapshot_url":"","kind":"on_demand","sip_server_ip":"52.8.44.218","sip_server_port":"15063","sip_server_tls":"false","sip_session_id":"385911911-1911911911","sip_from":"sip:1911911@ring.com","sip_to":"sip:911911911-1911911911@52.8.44.218:15063;transport=tcp","audio_jitter_buffer_ms":0,"video_jitter_buffer_ms":0,"sip_endpoints":null,"expires_in":179,"now":1462669540.55741,"optimization_level":3}]
                              Sadly, I can't connect directly locally via an URL (also makes sense why you can't keep a session longer than 30 seconds since it has to relay to their server.

Second, if you ever wanted Ring Plus to connect to HS "open a lock" or anything, it's actually app/device specific. You NEED the app on the device (i.e. on Android need Wemo app). Al Ring Plus does is load the local app. On Windows 10, only ADT pulse has an app. So, in my case, I'd need them to add Imperihome support (client app)...hopefully not HS Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
                                You will need the could setup for both Ring and HS to use this kind of recipe.
                                So you need to pay the cloud service even do your not going to interface to HS?
                                Hector
                                MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                                X