www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old October 17th, 2017, 08:40 PM
Seer Master

Buying Switches and Dimmers

I will be buying some Z-wave switches and dimmers. Historically, I have purchased Cooper(from HomeSeer)and have been pleased with performance/reliability/and aesthetics. I am interested in matching what I have and noticed the Homeseer Store is emphasizing their brand to the exclusion of Cooper. So looking elswhere I notice this "Eaton" brand which look a lot like Cooper. Anyone have experience with Eaton and know it's history?

Thanks for any input,
BobSpen
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSpen View Post
I will be buying some Z-wave switches and dimmers. Historically, I have purchased Cooper(from HomeSeer)and have been pleased with performance/reliability/and aesthetics. I am interested in matching what I have and noticed the Homeseer Store is emphasizing their brand to the exclusion of Cooper. So looking elswhere I notice this "Eaton" brand which look a lot like Cooper. Anyone have experience with Eaton and know it's history?

Thanks for any input,
BobSpen
I think you'll find that Cooper was acquired by Eaton a few years ago. It's probably rebranding
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Seer Master

Quote:

Thanks for any input,
BobSpen
I don't make any commission and I know you would like to keep the looks the same but after upgrading my coopers and GE's to homeseer switches I'm sure happy. You just can't beat the features. Firmware updates, double and triple tap, instant status and different ramp rates for manual or z-wave control.
Old October 18th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by integlikewhoa View Post
I don't make any commission and I know you would like to keep the looks the same but after upgrading my coopers and GE's to homeseer switches I'm sure happy. You just can't beat the features. Firmware updates, double and triple tap, instant status and different ramp rates for manual or z-wave control.
+1
Old October 19th, 2017, 10:43 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
and this is why I want to buy them as well; however, no toggle style switches so I'm going to start purchasing the GE zwave + units after I get a zwave + controller. @ $40 each and a ton to replace, gonna be a while.. hah

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368

Plugins - BLLAN 2.0.38.0 | BLRF 2.0.93.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.8 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.150

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface
Old October 19th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleFragger View Post
and this is why I want to buy them as well; however, no toggle style switches so I'm going to start purchasing the GE zwave + units after I get a zwave + controller. @ $40 each and a ton to replace, gonna be a while.. hah
I have been using the zen23 and zen24 switches from thesmartesthouse dot com for about 6 months with no issues. They turn on and off immediately.
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:50 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
I have been using the zen23 and zen24 switches from thesmartesthouse dot com for about 6 months with no issues. They turn on and off immediately.
WOW THANKS!!!
The first switch with Direct 3-way Solution - wires to your existing mechanical switch! (neutral required)

so 3 way doesn't need slave and also cheaper!!!!
Old October 19th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Thanks all, for your inputs. I have read good reviews on the Homeseer switches and for those of you who have some experience with them, a few questions:

1) Do the Homeseer switches have "real" instant status or the simulated that only works if you have direct connection to the controller?

2) Do they work well with somewhat inductive loads like bathroom fans. Some that I tried a few years ago would lockup with these loads--probably not enough line noise protection.

3) Do they work well as dimmers with light loads like a single LED bulb? And, do they work over the full range dimming capability of the bulb(s).

4) How do you dim manually--I don't see a "dimming bar"?

5) Lastly, what do we know about the quality of the components used and lifetimes(I experienced "0" failure rate on Cooper and significant failure rates with the cheaper brands). I'm hoping for something like 15-20 year lifetimes with less than 5% to 10% fail rate over that time. Realistic?

Thanks again for more responses,

Bobpen
Old October 19th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Thanks all, for your inputs. I have read good reviews on the Homeseer switches and for those of you who have some experience with them, a few questions:

1) Do the Homeseer switches have "real" instant status or the simulated that only works if you have direct connection to the controller?

2) Do they work well with somewhat inductive loads like bathroom fans. Some that I tried a few years ago would lockup with these loads--probably not enough line noise protection.

3) Do they work well as dimmers with light loads like a single LED bulb? And, do they work over the full range dimming capability of the bulb(s).

4) How do you dim manually--I don't see a "dimming bar"?

5) Lastly, what do we know about the quality of the components used and lifetimes(I experienced "0" failure rate on Cooper and significant failure rates with the cheaper brands). I'm hoping for something like 15-20 year lifetimes with less than 5% to 10% fail rate over that time. Realistic?

Thanks again for more responses,

Bobpen
Yes, real instant status.

Yes, switches work well with bathroom fans (not dimmers). For ceiling fans I use GE Fan dimmers - they have three speed/dim settings.

Yes, work well with LEDs. Especially Philips warm glow LEDs.

To dim, press and hold either up or down to dim.

As for quality I would give them an A. I’ve had a couple failures over the last year plus.

Overall, very satisfied with HS switches and dimmers.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.379 | 743 devices | 341 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | BLAlarm | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris |
Old October 20th, 2017, 02:48 AM
Seer Master

I agree and I havent had any switch besides the blue led fail on a GE switch fail. But homeseer switches I only had for 1 year. I'm not sure how these will be in 20 years but I'm pretty sure I won't own them that long. I have already upgrades one after 3 or 4 years as it is. I'm sure in 20 years ill probley be using somthing much better or be in a different house.
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
I agree and I havent had any switch besides the blue led fail on a GE switch fail. But homeseer switches I only had for 1 year. I'm not sure how these will be in 20 years but I'm pretty sure I won't own them that long. I have already upgrades one after 3 or 4 years as it is. I'm sure in 20 years ill probley be using somthing much better or be in a different house.
Good point. But rvtvlr saying "couple of fails in a year" doesn't sound encouraging unless he has 100's?

BobSpen
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Good point. But rvtvlr saying "couple of fails in a year" doesn't sound encouraging unless he has 100's?

BobSpen
Yeah I'm not sure about a couple failures in a year either. That's not my experience and more info would be nice.

I have around homeseer switches (all converted from GE) and the vacation house has around 50 GE's still, no new homeseer switches there yet. I probably have 80-90 total switches and no real failures even with the GE's for past several years.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 07:42 PM
Seer Deluxe

I have 42 HS switches/dimmers.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 07:44 PM
Seer Master

What's up with the failed ones? What happened and how many?
Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:54 PM
Seer

Hello can you tell me if there is a light in my home with 2 or more switches. Do I need all the switches to be smart or just one ?
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:36 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
What's up with the failed ones? What happened and how many?
Two stopped reporting to HS and one is now exhibiting the same behavior. If I pull the air gap then all is good for a period of time.
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvtravlr View Post
Two stopped reporting to HS and one is now exhibiting the same behavior. If I pull the air gap then all is good for a period of time.
Sounds like a systemic issue. What kind of loads are on the three failing and how might that be different from the others, which I assume have been stable?
BobSpen
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Seer Deluxe

Load is minimal as each circuit controls Philips warm glow LEDs. Nine watts per LED and no more than 4 on a dimmer.
Old October 25th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirstuk View Post
Hello can you tell me if there is a light in my home with 2 or more switches. Do I need all the switches to be smart or just one ?
For a light with 2 or more switches(a "two-way", a "three-way", etc) you need 1 smart switch and "companion" switches for the remainder. Companions are much cheaper.

Hope that helps.
Old October 29th, 2017, 11:42 PM
Seer

Quote:
For a light with 2 or more switches(a "two-way", a "three-way", etc) you need 1 smart switch and "companion" switches for the remainder. Companions are much cheaper.

Hope that helps.
Thank you