www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Wireless Receiver & Transceiver Plug-ins > Wireless Receiver & Transceiver Discussion > RFXCOM Plug-In (3P)

RFXCOM Plug-In (3P) Discussion area for the RFXCOM 3rd party plug-in.

Old November 14th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Viewer

RFXtrx433e Reliability

Hi

Im having an issue where the RFXtrx433 keeps on dropping off and the plugin can no longer speak to it. This seems to happen daily and i end up rebooting the pc to resolve the issue. The mrs is starting to get quite annoyed with me.

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine (fully upto date). Running the latest version of Homeseer. Ive updated the firmware on the RFX to the latest and also updated the windows COM drivers.

I get the following logged in home seer log.

36 (Open) error :System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the port 'COM4' is denied. at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream..ctor(String portName, Int32 baudRate, Parity parity, Int32 dataBits, StopBits stopBits, Int32 readTimeout, Int32 writeTimeout, Handshake handshake, Boolean dtrEnable, Boolean rtsEnable, Boolean discardNull, Byte parityReplace) at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Open() at HSPI_RFXCOM.clsRS232.Open()

Im wondering if i would be better putting the RFX into a PI an using ser2net and connecting that way, if it would be more reliable.

It used to be reliable so not sure what happened really.

hopefully someone will have a suggestion as to how to make it better?

thanks

stuart
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:49 AM
OverSeer

This problem indicates that the FTDI USB interface is frozen.
The source of the problem could be a spike on the USB power or an induction pulse on the USB cable.
A disconnect-connect of the USB cable or a restart of the system will reconnect the USB.

In many times the problem was solved by one of these:
- move the USB cable away from power cables,
- use a powered USB hub with a quality power supply,
- use a Raspberry PI with a quality power supply and ser2net
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Viewer

ok great, i will try moving the cable and running through a hub. Failing that shove it on the PI