This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTouch & Albatron touch screen

I received my Albatron WinCE touch screen on Christmas Eve, just like Rich promised! Overall, I like it a lot, but there are a couple of things I'm trying to work out. One is that text within a button doesn't seem to word wrap like it does on my other Windows XP based touch screens and laptops. Sometimes the text exceeds the button width althougher, giving the quality of the page a less than professional look. Also, I didn't check the box that prohibits the cursor from showing up on the screens and now I can't change it. If I hold the styles in one place, like my other touch screens, a pop up box should appear and allow me the option to exit or change client options. However, on the Albatron, it doesn't do anything. In fact the only way to exit the HSTouch screen is to press the reset button on the back.

I'm not trying to be negative, but these little quirks are a bit disappointing.
    -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Hi tmcgowan,

I received mine as well.
    I have the same problem with word wrap on the buttons (some work and some do not) as well as in a text box. I had the "current conditions" from an RSS feed displayed on my main screen and it will not word wrap.

I also found that a web page displayed in a text box on the Albatron has a scroll bar if the page is larger that the text box.
    On my XP machine, the scroll bars are not there. The scroll bars are very useful. Go figure.

I can exit using the pop up box using the stylus, it takes a second to find the sweet spot in the upper right corner though.

John

Comment

Hello John,

How do you have your power settings configured? I thought I had everything set to "never" on all the attributes for both Battery and AC tabs, but it drops the connection after about 15 minutes of inactivity.

Does that happen to yours as well?

Thanks,
      -Todd

HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Hi Todd,

I have mine set to "never" for both AC and batt.
        I have my screen backlight to to turn off after a minute of inactivity. I have only dropped the signal one time that I know of. It's been solid ever since.

Is your wifi signal strong? I had to turn up the power on my wireless router (Linksys with a DD-WRT hack) to get coverage throughout my home. WEP encryption slowed it down too, so I just use MAC address filtering and I do not broadcast the SSID.

I get an occasional crash that requires a reboot from low program memory. I think there may be a memory leak in the .17 client build. Have you experienced this?

John

Comment

Originally posted by airjohn1 View Post
          Hi Todd,

I have my screen backlight to to turn off after a minute of inactivity. I have only dropped the signal one time that I know of. It's been solid ever since.

Is your wifi signal strong? I had to turn up the power on my wireless router (Linksys with a DD-WRT hack) to get coverage throughout my home. WEP encryption slowed it down too, so I just use MAC address filtering and I do not broadcast the SSID.

I get an occasional crash that requires a reboot from low program memory. I think there may be a memory leak in the .17 client build. Have you experienced this?

John
          I love mine too, just the right size and weight. I too am having the memory problems and it's killing the WAF after an initial very positive reaction.

I see the problem with word wrap too but i am able to access the menu by pressing in the top right for a couple of seconds. Glad to know i'm not the only one wth the memory problem. I have opened a ticket for it.

I have tried to run my config from an SD card but am unable to change the root path for the skins from the menu. The option is there it just doesn't do anything.

All in all though a very nice peice of kit.

Neil
          Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Hi Neil,

I have just started running the client from a 2 gig SD card I picked up at Office Depot tonight for $12.

I cut and pasted the the entire hstouch directory from the "my device" storage area to the SD card. I then created a new desktop shortcut to the hstouch application and also put this in the startup folder.

So far, no memory crashes.......

John

Comment

How much memory did these devices ship with?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi Rupp,

They ship with 128MB of mobile DDR and 128MB of NAND flash.

John

Comment

Hi Todd,

John

Hello John,

I checked my setting and they're the same as yours. Except that I'm using WEP 128bit encryption. I suspect it has to do with the memory leak that you spoke of. Although I'm running .16 on the unit, it's indicated that it bombed out becuase of low memory.

I've also noted that the screen I've set up to access the phone messages doesn't work on the the unit, although it works on all the Windows XP laptops and tabletKiosks I have.

I've been hesitant to plug in the unit where my wife usually sits in the familyroom until it's working 100% of the time. Okay, I'd settle for 90%!!

Best regards,
                  -Todd

Comment

Hi Rupp,

They ship with 128MB of mobile DDR and 128MB of NAND flash.

John
                    Thanks John. How much memory is used by the OS?

Comment

Without the hstouch WinCE client running, the albatron uses 15MB for the OS with 70 MB available for programs. I can not test with hstouch running. Even if I deploy with a title bar, it will not minimize. There is a slider to adjust memory allocation between storage and programs. This is with the slider allocating available memory to programs.

I checked my XP client and it uses about 100MB of memory running.

John

Comment

I have not seen a memory problem, but there may not be much storage for things like graphics. The temp folder that we used by default may be using RAM instead of flash, I'll have to investigate this.

As for the text wrapping, CE does not have a way to auto wrap text as Windows does. So to do text wrapping I will need to handle it manually, which will not be easy as there is no way to know where to wrap the text. This is on our todo list. You can enable the Marquee option and the text will scroll horizontally if it doesn't fit in the text area.

The web browser on CE does not have all the features as the Windows version. The scroll bars will appear automatically and there is no way to disable them. Also, you cannot scroll a web page with a button as you can with Windows.

CE does have some frustrating limitations that you just need to be aware of when creating your screens.

Comment

Thanks Rich.
                          -Todd

Comment

Hi Rich,

Thanks for looking into the memory problem.
                            I see that the Marquee feature was added to the latest client.

How do you enable scrolling in a text box? I am trying to view a forecast from an RSS feed.

Thanks in advance,
                            John

Comment

Disregard Rich, I found the Marquee controls.......

John

Comment

Working...
                              X