This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
    My dad bought me a Heathkit short wave radio kit in 1962. It was my first experience with electronics. I learned to solder and how to follow assembly instructions. I guess that is what sparked my strong interest in electronics and Home Automation. I grew up about 50 miles from the Heathkit factory. I built about 10 different kits during high school and college. My biggest project was an AR15 stereo receiver, turntable, and speaker kit that I built in my college dorm room between classes. I will never forget cranking up the volume and listening to Hendrix' guitar.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Benton Harbor...

I'll try to refrain from adding more noise to this thread, but I defected from Heath and built a ScottKit (HH Scott), used with a pair of JBL Lancer L77s and Led Zeppelin on a Dual 1219 turntable. Good times...
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Here still trying to figure out why this OP started here under "off topic" as it does relate to automation and should be somewhere else....

So what is "off topic" anyways...

That said here my intro was Allied Ellectronics...early 1960's...my dad drove me there one day ....
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Here still trying to figure out why this OP started here under "off topic" as it does relate to automation and should be somewhere else....

So what is "off topic" anyways...

That said here my intro was Allied Ellectronics...early 1960's...my dad drove me there one day ....
        You are thinking way to hard about this one Pete. What difference does it make I didn't even realize it was in the Off Topic forum.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I know ... I am making a mountain out of a molehill...loosey goosey is understood...

.... and it really it not an issue for me Rupp...just having fun ....and sometimes I am bit too process oriented....
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            .and sometimes I am bit too process oriented....
            I know. It's inherent in our types.

Comment

Custom Soultions marketed the Homevision and Homevision Pro
              RCS had an X10 thermostat and relay interface, they may still be active.

Comment

Yep, I remember getting many BDOS errors if I didn't do a control-C after inserting a new floppy. My first floppy drive was from Radio Shack and was a single sided single density drive with 180k of storage on a 5-1/4" floppy - cost $600+

My buddy bought the first hard drive I knew of owned by an individual - around $5,000 for 10 mb and you backed up onto a VHS tape.

Talk about Wordstar - that come on probably 30 floppies. After you got it installed on a CP/M machine you could start looking for patches to make with to get the word processor to use your dot matrix printers features like UL, strike-out, bold, italics, etc.

Ah those were the days alright.

Comment

Just tossed out an old micro-redac that was used with ECS way back when. My Homevision unit died a couple years ago, was still using it with X10 in HS2.

John

Comment

HAL - Home Automation Labs?

If you are referring to Home Automation Labs, it is gone. I was actually one of the folks from HAL...if you were a customer, I'm sure we talked...

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                    What about HAL? Are they still around? Mr. House?

Comment

IBM, GE and Stanley

I got my start with X-10 HA with a GE Homeminder system that Radio Shack sold in 1985-7. It was one of the first with a working GUI, but the GUI was through a TV. It was sort of a PITA to use real-time, but you could store times and dates to "automate" your home. It was pretty cool at the time....

I replaced that with an IBM Home Director system. That added a lot more logic and was a set and forget wall mounted CM10A with an internal battery backup! It had the ability to create "events" but I cannot think of the name they used for them.... I bought Stanley "Palm Pad" remotes and put them all around my house. Only had 14 things to control manually back then so I could do it all from anywhere in the house, yard or garage. Used the 8 and 16 buttons for events. Added LOTS of IBM Home Director modules (1993) that I still use to this day! Hurray IBM Employee Discount!!

I used that system for 10 years but kept hoping to find something that could do more. I found that in 2003. ...and the rest is HST history!

I thing IBM, GE and Stanley are all still alive, but no longer have anything to do with HA.....
                      Attached Files

Comment

I will say most of my intermatic devices have failed. i have very few still in place that have not failed. its like 80% of them died before the warranty was up.
                        HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                        53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                        https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                          I will say most of my intermatic devices have failed. i have very few still in place that have not failed. its like 80% of them died before the warranty was up.
                          Same here. I still have a few Intermatic devices, but the rest have failed.
                          I also have some older Sylvania Z-Wave modules and a couple of those have failed.

I've been replacing with GE switches and outlets as they fail.
                          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                            I also have some older Sylvania Z-Wave modules and a couple of those have failed.
                            First generation Z-Wave, circa 2003 or thereabouts. There's probably a museum somewhere looking for those!

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                              First generation Z-Wave, circa 2003 or thereabouts. There's probably a museum somewhere looking for those!
                              Someone on eBay recently was trying to get $40, as I recall, for an unopened set of Sylvania controller and 2 lamp modules. Too bad the modules are guaranteed to fail as soon as their bulbs burn out (I had that set, and I still have the 2 dead lamp modules lying around here somewhere...).

Comment

hmmm... looks like MControl software can be added to the list too. The parent company site (embeddedautomation.com) can't be reached.

Comment

Working...
                                X