ChromeCast Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys!

Is it possible now (or ever?) to use Chromecast Audio with HomeSeer? I was planning to use 5 of the USB soundcard type devices. One for each set of 5 speakers and amps I have for various rooms in the house. After coming upon Chromecast Audio, it would be SO MUCH BETTER to be able to buy 5 of these little $35 suckers and use these to send sound to my mini amps then to the speakers. This would allow me to use the room speakers for HomeSeer notifications as well as then use phone and tablets to play Spotify (using the Chromecast app). This would be killer.

I did some searching but didn't see where there was a plugin yet or if one is being worked on that allows HomeSeer to "send" audio to individual or all your Chromecast Audio devices. Does anybody know if this is currently possible or if a plugin is being worked on?

Thanks!

Comment

Extreme-Z you could have a look at the squeezebox plug-in, i think it supports chromecast audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmstrom View Post
        Extreme-Z you could have a look at the squeezebox plug-in, i think it supports chromecast audio.
        There's a third party plugin called Chromecast bridge for LMS server (https://github.com/philippe44/LMS-to-cast), with which it should work.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          There's a third party plugin called Chromecast bridge for LMS server (https://github.com/philippe44/LMS-to-cast), with which it should work.

Cheers
          Al
          Just installed the Chromecast bridge and looks like it works fine (LMS server streaming to a CC device), so will try using it with the HS plugin next.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Cheers
            Al
            Just installed the Chromecast bridge and looks like it works fine (LMS server streaming to a CC device), so will try using it with the HS plugin next.

Cheers
            Al
            Killer! Looks like it might work then. I'm not at a point where I can try this for a while (darn work) but if you guys actually get something up and running where you can have HomeSeer send voice to specific Chromecast Audio devices, please let us know how you did it. I would think this would be far and above an improvement over running a bunch of cheap USB soundcards

Thanks!!!

Comment

Cheers
              Al
              For those that might mess with this, make sure you open up the port 49156 if you have a firewall on the LMS machine. At least that is what I had to do to get it to work. So far though, it wokrs great, but like Al, I have not tried it with the plugin yet*.

*My trial ended and I was considering not gettting it, but I have 3 CC Audios so now I think it's worth it since I no longer have to pay for more raspberry PIs.

Comment

Any update from anyone who worked on LMS/Chromecast bridge/Homeseer?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Any one got something working with homeseer?

Found this chromecast monitor, maybe that can be used.
                  https://github.com/bootsc5/monitor-ccs

Comment

Originally posted by weaslyd View Post
                    Any update from anyone who worked on LMS/Chromecast bridge/Homeseer?

I use it. It's ok. It has to connect so you hear the cc connect sound. It also only plays lms content, so no google music unless you have that plugin working on lms.

Besides that's it's great and not only can we use lms, but we can connect to the cc with out phones ad well without changing the source.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                      I use it. It's ok. It has to connect so you hear the cc connect sound. It also only plays lms content, so no google music unless you have that plugin working on lms.

Besides that's it's great and not only can we use lms, but we can connect to the cc with out phones ad well without changing the source.

Great feedback, thanks! I'll be forced to try it just because I'm an experimenter. Do you have an estimate of how long you worked to set it up? I'm in the process of self-installing $3000 of new switches/thermostats/media equipment in our new house, and have Alexa set up to voice control it all. My biggest want right now is household-wide announcements.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

in case anyone has problems with google audio cast I have it in my office and it was persistently losing connection, after a ton of research, I basically just bought a ethernet connection from google store for about 15 bucks and now it's directly wired in and it seems to work great.

the problem before was I would cast something and then my phone/etc would forget that I had a google cast at all and I couldn't stop the music without just turning off the power to the device...

now with ethernet it works much better. so i'm going to play with it this in my office this week and if good, i'm going to purchase a few for the house.

I actually have 46 in wall speakers in my house and most of them aren't hooked up because the cost of sonos becomes pretty prohibitive when you need 20 of the amp ones at 500 per. but 20 google cast with a cheap 2 channel amp, I bought one off amazon for 30 bucks and it sounds fine

Comment

I have the same experience, i had problems with stability until i connected the Ethernet adapter.
                          I does add alot to the price of the chromecast, they should make a bundle so you dont end up with 2xpower brick.

I still dream of getting status feedback to homeseer, so i can turn on/off the amp automatic. If any on makes a plug in, i will gladly pay for it

Comment

I have the same experience, i had problems with stability until i connected the Ethernet adapter.
                            I does add alot to the price of the chromecast, they should make a bundle so you dont end up with 2xpower brick.

I still dream of getting status feedback to homeseer, so i can turn on/off the amp automatic. If any on makes a plug in, i will gladly pay for it
                            hey i read this... https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/..._auto_standby/

apparently not much power used if not playing.

Comment

But i use a big denon receiver, and it does consume alot of power is always turned on.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but if you're just looking for device status, you should be able to use the HomeSeer MQTT plugin in conjunction with this project I found on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomat...ecast_monitor/

Again, I've had no time to look into what's involved in the setup or how many other features it gives you, but it "should" work for what you (and I) want to accomplish.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X