Eliminating "Tell Homeseer To" phrase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eliminating "Tell Homeseer To" phrase

I liked Barry's Worthington Utube video about "Adding Voice Control to Leviton Omni Systems using Alexa".

However, I believe I have found another way to get buttons (I have 26 Buttons) activated just like my 100 lights using only the basic Homeseer Skill.

In my Homeseer HAI Plug In Device Management page, I click on the button and go to the Tab 'Status Graphics' and change the Control Use to "ON" from the default 'Not Specified' and the Control Status to 'TURN' as shown below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Homeseer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1210455

I then go back to the Configuration Tab and describe the Device simply, uniquely but without any Off or On words. This is important.

I then assure that the Amazon Smart Home page http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#smart-home has the Basic Homeseer Skill enabled and that the device descriptions have been discovered again and are as specified in my Homeseer HAI Plug In Device Management page.

Now I talk to Alexa just like I do for my lights without the word Off as that is not a button option. I say this "Alexa Turn On The Great Room Fireplace"change the Control Use to "ON" and Turn & use simple words without on, off in the device name.

Cool work!

I'm still in my planning stage but am starting to consider the Amazon or Google solution for voice control (wish "local" VR worked enough). I hate the syntax of having your VR system "tell Home" to do something though so this is an encouraging item.

Comment

I do something similar with virtual devices. This way you don't have to 'edit' the actual device. So for example each of the rooms in my house has a virtual device named 'lights'.
      Then I just create an event that turn on or off lights when 'lights' is turned on or off.

Now I can say Alexa turn off Kitchen lights...and any lights I have associated with that event turn off.

Comment

Thanks Mason for all your prompt help.

WOW..Now I can change temperatures, activate buttons, and control all lights (dim, off and on) all by only saying Alexa-Turn on buttons; raise, set or lower temperatures; or dim, off or on lights.

I only use the basic Homeseer Skill in the Alexa App.

No more saying to Alexa 'Tell Homeseer To'...... Hallelujah.

Now I would like you and the Amazon developers to work on the basic API command list. Specifically for buttons add Set, Push, Activate, Run etc. For Device Names allow OFF and ON in the Names.

I'll have to try MrMxyzptlk tip virtual device set up next to see how it works.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why is such a big deal to add 3 words to the command to do things?

Comment

Originally posted by bjhampe View Post
            Just out of curiosity, why is such a big deal to add 3 words to the command to do things?
            In my situation, it's not a big deal to me, but my wife and 9yr old couldnt always remember to "Tell HomeSeer". It's probably some conditional thing, but they are much more likely to use it with less fuss.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
              I do something similar with virtual devices. This way you don't have to 'edit' the actual device. So for example each of the rooms in my house has a virtual device named 'lights'.
              Then I just create an event that turn on or off lights when 'lights' is turned on or off.

Now I can say Alexa turn off Kitchen lights...and any lights I have associated with that event turn off.
              I don't understand why you don't just create a group in the Alexa page called "Kitchen lights" then associate the device(s) to that group. Then you can eliminate 2 more events from having to be created. This is what I do with my under 2 x counter lights - I don't have control of the ceiling yet...

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

It is all about reliability and convenience.
                1. The fewer words we have to tell Alexa the less chance we have to make a mistake where she doesn't respond correctly or we have to start over again.
                2. As it was the lights didn't require the "3 words" but the buttons did and we had to think which communications technique do I use for this device?? That presented another option to fail in communicating with Alexa.
                3. The less we have to say to Alexa to get the job done makes the process more user friendly all around.
                4. And as has been said we are training other non tech people in the house and the communication process must be kept simple and intuitive to make Alexa perform correctly and effectively. I don't want to scare my friends and family away from using Alexa.

Comment

Points well made, thanks to reinforce it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

So you can say "Alexa Turn On The Great Room Fireplace", but can you also say "Alexa Turn Off The Great Room Fireplace"?

Is "Great Room Fireplace" a light switch name or a button name?

I'm excited to give this a try.

Comment

Because the fireplace is on a button I say turn on The great room fireplace each time and it toggles. When I want to say turn off or turn on I use a flag.

Comment

Originally posted by fdnyfish View Post
                        So you can say "Alexa Turn On The Great Room Fireplace", but can you also say "Alexa Turn Off The Great Room Fireplace"?

Is "Great Room Fireplace" a light switch name or a button name?

I'm excited to give this a try.
                        I am still curious/confused. In your Device List interface is your "room" named "Great Room" and the Name of your device "Fireplace?" Or is your room something else and your device name "Great Room Fireplace?"

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                          I don't understand why you don't just create a group in the Alexa page called "Kitchen lights" then associate the device(s) to that group. Then you can eliminate 2 more events from having to be created. This is what I do with my under 2 x counter lights - I don't have control of the ceiling yet...

Robert
                          Because I don't want to have to edit any other app other than HomeSeer.
                          I also have virtual devices for many other things than lights...I have virtual devices for fans, water valves, locks, etc.

Much less maintenance...and far more consistent, than the different paradigms in all of these other 3rd party apps.

Comment

Originally posted by chasers03 View Post
                            I liked Barry's Worthington Utube video about "Adding Voice Control to Leviton Omni Systems using Alexa".

However, I believe I have found another way to get buttons (I have 26 Buttons) activated just like my 100 lights using only the basic Homeseer Skill.

In my Homeseer HAI Plug In Device Management page, I click on the button and go to the Tab 'Status Graphics' and change the Control Use to "ON" from the default 'Not Specified' and the Control Status to 'TURN' as shown below.
                            [ATTACH]59088[/ATTACH]

I then go back to the Configuration Tab and describe the Device simply, uniquely but without any Off or On words. This is important.

I then assure that the Amazon Smart Home page http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#smart-home has the Basic Homeseer Skill enabled and that the device descriptions have been discovered again and are as specified in my Homeseer HAI Plug In Device Management page.

Now I talk to Alexa just like I do for my lights without the word Off as that is not a button option. I say this "Alexa Turn On The Great Room Fireplace"change the Control Use to "ON" and Turn & use simple words without on, off in the device name.
                            You don't need to create a unique name if you have the same device in different rooms. I.E. if I named all of my fans "Fan", as long as their was a "Fan" in more than one room, HS will be able to differentiate them.

Comment

Room name is Great Room and Device name is Great Room Fireplace. Don't forget to set Status to "Turn" & its Control Use to "On" under Status Graphics for that button.

Comment

Working...
                              X