Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yale YRD240 compatibility

Hi,

New here, it is finally time I did something with my Yale YRD240 from 2014. It has a Z-wave module I have never used. I figured I will also add an Aeotec Smart Switch 6 to better control my hot water recirculating pump connected to a tankless water heater. I plan to communicate with Z-wave using Z-net over wired ethernet.

I plan to run HS3 on my windows 10 media server PC that is on 24/7. I have a couple questions:

Can HS3 be run as a service and does not require a user to be logged in?
    Any comments on this choice of hardware? I already have the Yale lock, but the Aeotec Smart Switch 6 hasn't been purchased yet.
    Does anybody know how current the version of Z-wave (from 2014) in the Yale lock is? Any experiences to share with this device?

Pretty sure running HS3 as a service on Windows is not a supported configuration.
    The easiest workaround is to create a scheduled Task and launch HS3 at system startup.

The Yale YRD240 is an excellent smart deadbolt; it has worked flawlessly in my setup with the HomeSeer SmartStick+ as the z-wave controller.
    I purchased mine through Amazon and made sure that I got the later model (YRD240-ZW-0BP) which included the newer Z-Wave Plus network module.
    The Z-Wave Plus module, as I understand it, is more battery efficient and includes some other advanced features.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Assa Abloy regarding the Z-wave module and was told it hasn't changed since 2012. I bought my lock in 2014. What do you mean when you refer to "older" Z-wave modules or locks?

Comment

Originally posted by lifespeed View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I emailed Assa Abloy regarding the Z-wave module and was told it hasn't changed since 2012. I bought my lock in 2014. What do you mean when you refer to "older" Z-wave modules or locks?
        I believe Z-Wave Plus was introduced around 2015 along with new certification for 'next gen' Z-Wave hardware.
        You can read about the certification, benefits/features at Z-Wave Alliance web site: http://z-wavealliance.org/z-wave_plus_certification/
        Many manufacturers have started to introduce new versions of their hardware for compliance with z-wave plus.

I believe Yale is one of the first of the smart deadbolt manufacturers to create version of their products with Z-Wave Plus certifications.
        The Z-Wave network module included with your YRD240 purchased in 2014 would only be Z-Wave compliant -- not supporting the newer features of Z-Wave Plus.
        If you are interested, an option for you is to replace/upgrade the network module of the YRD240; Yale sells this separately: https://www.yale2you.com/Products/Accessories/YRMZW2-PLUS-USA.aspx
        But probably not worth the money to upgrade unless all of the devices are already Z-Wave Plus.

Comment

Thanks for the info and link. My YRD240 Z-wave module identifies as 3.34 (ZDK 4.53). While it does work, I don't want to start down Z-wave road with old versions. I may upgrade to the newer module.

Edit: Yale doesn't list it as compatible with YRD240, although it sounds as though you are using their Z-wave Plus module with your YRD240.

Comment

Thanks for the info and link. My YRD240 Z-wave module identifies as 3.34 (ZDK 4.53). While it does work, I don't want to start down Z-wave road with old versions. I may upgrade to the newer module.

Edit: Yale doesn't list it as compatible with YRD240, although it sounds as though you are using their Z-wave Plus module with your YRD240.
            Yeah, I am not certain why Yale didn't list the Z-wave plus module as compatible with YRD240.
            I purchased the YRD240 through Amazon. and they initially shipped the version without the updated z-wave module; I remember the box was yellow whereas the subsequent replacement's box had bland cardboard look. Having confirmed the version and subtle color difference between the z-wave classic and z-wave plus modules; I suspected that I got the older version and requested a replacement from Amazon. The older version's box had model as YRD240-ZW-0BP whereas the newer version has model/part # of YRD240-ZW2-0BP. Notice the extra "2" after "ZW". I noticed that both Amazon.ca and .com no longer list the part/model # for YRD240 with the "ZW2"; maybe it's their way of ensuring that they can sell the old inventory -- avoiding possible customer complaints as in my case.

Comment

Would it be too much trouble to post a photo of your Yale Z-wave module? Here is a thread regarding low-level configuration where my lock configuration appears different than a newer YRD240 over Z-wave. I'm not sure if this is the lock firmware (seems less likely) or the Z-wave module version. Just to be clear, it works, but I'm still thinking about upgrading.
              Attached Files

Comment

Would it be too much trouble to post a photo of your Yale Z-wave module? Here is a thread regarding low-level configuration where my lock configuration appears different than a newer YRD240 over Z-wave. I'm not sure if this is the lock firmware (seems less likely) or the Z-wave module version. Just to be clear, it works, but I'm still thinking about upgrading.

Here are photos of my z-wave module:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FearlessOne View Post
                  Here are photos of my z-wave module:
                  I wonder where I would find the current version? Probably best to order direct from Yale, Amazon or some other online retailer will just ship me their old stock.

Thanks,

Lifespeed

Comment

I wonder where I would find the current version? Probably best to order direct from Yale, Amazon or some other online retailer will just ship me their old stock.

Thanks,

Lifespeed

It appears that another poster may have tried this and determined that the newer z-wave module is not compatible with a non-Assure device. See this thread: https://community.smartthings.com/t/...-zwv-usa/67535
                    Thus I am no longer optimistic that it would work in your situation.

Comment

It appears that another poster may have tried this and determined that the newer z-wave module is not compatible with a non-Assure device. See this thread: https://community.smartthings.com/t/...-zwv-usa/67535
                      Thus I am no longer optimistic that it would work in your situation.
                      Yet you have a YRD240 working with this module? Guess I'll have to send it back. Ordered last night and of course they won't pull it out of their shipping system this morning.

Comment

Yet you have a YRD240 working with this module? Guess I'll have to send it back. Ordered last night and of course they won't pull it out of their shipping system this morning.

The z-wave plus module I have is part of the YRD240 package (YRD240-ZW2-0BP) -- sold together. What I am unsure about is whether the separately sold Z-Wave plus module on the Yale site -- listed for the "Assure" -- is the same item. It may even be the same hardware with a different flavour of the firmware that allows it to work with older "Real Living Touchscreen" vs the Bluetooth capable "Assure" Deadbolts. It does appears that the firmware on the z-wave plus modules are user upgradable, although I have not seen the firmware files posted anywhere online.

Comment

The z-wave plus module I have is part of the YRD240 package (YRD240-ZW2-0BP) -- sold together. What I am unsure about is whether the separately sold Z-Wave plus module on the Yale site -- listed for the "Assure" -- is the same item. It may even be the same hardware with a different flavour of the firmware that allows it to work with older "Real Living Touchscreen" vs the Bluetooth capable "Assure" Deadbolts. It does appears that the firmware on the z-wave plus modules are user upgradable, although I have not seen the firmware files posted anywhere online.
                          Oh good, all I have to do is contact support and get the appropriate firmware file to make the Z-wave plus module speak YRD240. LOL. Probably that sticker is the firmware version.

Comment

Oh good, all I have to do is contact support and get the appropriate firmware file to make the Z-wave plus module speak YRD240. LOL. Probably that sticker is the firmware version.
                            That would be too easy.
                            Chances are you wouldn't be able to upgrade the firmware unless the module is connected and working in the first place.

Comment

The folks at Yale say YRD240-ZW2-0BP isn't a real part number, but YRD246-ZW2-0BP and YRD446-ZW2-0BP are. Perhaps you don't have the same model lock as me, but a newer one that works with their Z-wave plus module? Does your lock support bluetooth?

No big deal, the version of Z-wave I have, 4.53, is new enough and works fine. It is only 20 feet from the Z-net through one wall and supports encryption, so the Z-wave plus improvements aren't requirements for this application. I'll live with it until it fails, three years and counting.

Comment

Working...
                              X