Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT but how do I enable web on my DLink router.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT but how do I enable web on my DLink router.

Guys,
    I have never enabled WEP on my DLink router and thought I would try it just as a precaution. I go into the setup screen and there is a radio button for WEP Encryption. I can choose:
    Security = WEP
    Authentication either Open System or Shared Key Which is the proper choice?
    WEP Encription 64 bit and then there are 4 keys. How do these get populated? Do they automatically get set when I activate the WEP option?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

This is from the DLink help screens:

Authentication
    For added security on the wireless network, when enabling Encryption, the Authentication type can also be selected. If Shared Key is selected, the Access Point will not be seen on the wireless network except to the wireless clients that share the same WEP key with MAC Addresses allowed access as specified in Filter List. If Open System is chosen, only the wireless clients with the same WEP key will be able to communicate on the wireless network, but the Access Point will be visible to all devices on the network. The default value for Authentication is set to "Open System".

It looks like "Open System" will be easier to get started with. You might want to use 128 bit for stronger encryption. You put the values into the 4 key fields yourself.

KEYS
    Keys 1-4 allow you to easily change wireless encryption settings to maintain a secure network. Simply select the specific key to be used for encrypting wireless data on the network.
    You could only populate one of the fields. I think that only one key will be active at a time. The active key is the one whose corresponding radio button is selected. Your Wi-Fi clients will have to use the exact same key value.

BTW, WPA is more secure than WEP. You might want to consider using WPA.

Comment

Rupp, I will second what Marty said. I have the same router, and here are my settings (the key has been asterisk-isized for obvious reasons). If you use an 128 bit key, the ascii version of the key needs to be 13 characters. You only need one key.

I also would prefer to use WPA instead of WEP, but my laptop doesn't support WPA. All of my access points do.
      Attached Files

Comment

upgrade for your firm

Hey Rocco (possible Rupp too),

DLink has an upgrade to the firmware that is in your router/WAP. From the looks of your screen shot; I think that you do not have the latest version of the firmware. The current version is 2.70. I am assuming that you have the DI-624 model. You can grab the upgrade at http://support.dlink.com/

Please remember to not apply the upgrade from a computer that is connected to the router via Wi-Fi. You must use a computer that is connected with Cat-5.

Comment

Working...
        X