X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
    Yes you do, however this offers many benefits:

1) You can return any text for Alexa to speak back to you. For instance, My wife can say "Alexa, Ask Homeseer where Frank is" and she will say one of a few things: "Frank is at home", "Frank is at [Address]", "Frank is at the office", or "Frank is in [city] and should be home in X minutes" (the last is when I'm on my 2 hour drive home from work).

2). You are not reliant on a complete phrase match. Using just homeseer events you have to have a complete match. I have an event for turning off my office. I have to match "Turn the office off" or "Turn off the office" for it to work. With this plugin, I could just look for the words "Turn office off" either in that order or in any order and this will pick it up (note I wouldn't use it for that because I may want to turn off a light in the room).

I think those are the 2 biggest ones, but there is another that I can't wait to try out and it's the number parsing. So I can say "Tell homeseer to turn the thermostat to X degrees" and this plugin will parse out the X and allow me to send it into a script to set my thermostat.
    Let's say I want to open my garage door. Currently I can not do this in a normal speaking manner, I would have to say "Alexa turn on garage port" to open the garage door and to close it "Alexa turn off garage port " how would this script help in this situation?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

You can create manual events which can be triggered by "open garage door" and a separate one "close garage door". Your even can then control the real door device. Just call the events from the helper script.

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
        Let's say I want to open my garage door. Currently I can not do this in a normal speaking manner, I would have to say "Alexa turn on garage port" to open the garage door and to close it "Alexa turn off garage port " how would this script help in this situation?
        You could set it up so that it would look for "Garage" "Door" "Open" (in any order) and tell it when it does to run an event (or run a script). Then you could say "Alexa, tell homeserr to open the garage door" or "Alexa, tell homeseer to please open the garage door" or "Alexa, tell homseer that I want the garage door open".

And you could do the same for closing it. Note that instead of having to set up 3 triggers with those exact phrases (which alexa may or may not recognize correctly), you just tell it you want to listen for those "key" words.

Note that this does require you to use the Skill instead of the API.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          Yes, but you can change the homeseer to something else... in my case, I call it Leena. So I would say Alexa... tell Leena to ...

Robert
          Where do you change homesser name? In HS or with this script?
          Hector
          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Which of the two options on this page should I use:

http://homeseer.com/amazon-echo-integration.html

I'm currently using IFTTT to link Alexa and HS, and am looking to switch to this helper.

Also, I too would like to know how I change the name from HomeSeer to something else

tenholde
            tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
              Where do you change homesser name? In HS or with this script?
              Hector, you can follow this process...

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...06#post1268106

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                Which of the two options on this page should I use:

http://homeseer.com/amazon-echo-integration.html

I'm currently using IFTTT to link Alexa and HS, and am looking to switch to this helper.

Also, I too would like to know how I change the name from HomeSeer to something else

tenholde
                The helper uses 'Option #2 - The Power User's Choice' however you can also install Option #1 as well.

I would suggest testing the helper using the 'Tell/Ask Homeseer....' to ensure everything is working correctly.

To change the Homeseer name you will need to create your own skill which is detailed here. Under step 3, select USA rather than UK and set the invocation name to your choice. You must remove the existing Homeseer Home Automation Skill from your Echo/DOT app before you activate your own Skill.

That should be it.
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                  You must remove the existing Homeseer Home Automation Skill from your Echo/DOT app before you activate your own Skill.
                  Jon, are you sure about that? Mine works fine with my new skill while still maintaining the Homeseer Home Automation Skill.

Robert

Comment

I stand corrected...so does that mean you have Alexa control of HS3 by using both "Tell Homeseer to..." and "Tell Leena to..." commands?
                    Jon

Comment

Option 1 is very limiting as you can not instantiate events.

I would use option two. Then you have the full power of HomeSeer as you can trap what HS gets from Alexa via the HS "check_vcmd.vb" script.

Jon's script utilizes this architecture and makes it easier for folks not that familiar with scripting to provide a nice platform to interface to this functionality. It is cool. Kudo's for Wade to create the architecture, and for Jon to extend the capability.
                      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

There is no reason to not use both options. This way you can just say "Alexa, turn off...", however for more advanced stuff you have the option of saying "Alexa, tell homeseer...".

I play on doing the custom skill so that I can change the name to House or something like that. My wife looks at me weird everytime I tell her she needs to say "Homeseer". I understand why they chose it, but it's just not userfriendly (and I'm amazon wouldn't let them release it with "house"?)

What Amazon needs to do is understand that people want to customize how not only they call the skills, but alexa itself. Having only 3 options is not doing it.

Comment

Possible problem

I have installed the plugin and it works really well. No problems getting it to do what I want. However, the delay between the command and the action is much longer that it was before when using the advance skill. The circular light will go round and round and around 2-4 seconds later, it will do the action. The real problem is that even when not using the advanced skill, like "alexa turn off the den lamp", the same delay is there. Anyone else having this problem?

Comment

This works as well:

RunScript=&hs.savevar("MyGlobalVar","Reset All Zones")

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                            I can, however it may not be needed.

As you have not specified a script parameter, the number is automatically passed to your script (AlexaOffice.vb) as the parameter, therefore you can set the global variable from within the script:

PHP Code:
                            Sub Main(ByVal Parm As String)

hs.SaveVar("Your variable name",Parm)

' your code here

End Sub 
                            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbell View Post
                              I have installed the plugin and it works really well. No problems getting it to do what I want. However, the delay between the command and the action is much longer that it was before when using the advance skill. The circular light will go round and round and around 2-4 seconds later, it will do the action. The real problem is that even when not using the advanced skill, like "alexa turn off the den lamp", the same delay is there. Anyone else having this problem?
                              If you have logging on, you will see how long the script takes to complete in the Homeseer log. That is variable depending on what else Homeseer is doing at the time and how many entries that need to searched through. Any additional delay would be the communication/processing between Echo - Amazon - HST - Homeseer (your system). I would say mine averages 1 1/2 to 2 seconds.
                              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                                This works as well:

RunScript=&hs.savevar("MyGlobalVar","Reset All Zones")
                                That's good to know!
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X