Static IP address makes computer 'disappear'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static IP address makes computer 'disappear'

This has me stumped. I have a new computer (NUC) with Windows 10 Pro.

When I set a static IP address, shared folders are not visible on the network, even checking from the NUC itself.
    If I perform a Network reset, the shared folders become visible again, but the computer has an assigned address.
    I can rinse and repeat the process, and the results keep coming out the same.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this? Should I just give up and try address reservation instead of a static IP?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    This has me stumped. I have a new computer (NUC) with Windows 10 Pro.

When I set a static IP address, shared folders are not visible on the network, even checking from the NUC itself.
    If I perform a Network reset, the shared folders become visible again, but the computer has an assigned address.
    I can rinse and repeat the process, and the results keep coming out the same.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this? Should I just give up and try address reservation instead of a static IP?

Comment

If your network location is not private, Windows 10 moved this to Homegroup IIRC. If you find your network location is public, type homegroup in the search then change your network location to private.

As of the Creators update you can go to (from the start button) Settings>Network & Internet>>Ethernet> then click on your network connection and you will have selections for network profile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1195647

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1195648
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        If your network location is not private, Windows 10 moved this to Homegroup IIRC. If you find your network location is public, type homegroup in the search then change your network location to private.
        Steve and Randy,
        Thanks for the quick responses. The network reports as private after assigning a static address. Homegroup sharing works normally. Only shared folders appear to be affected. I could not find any settings besides the static IP that were changed.

I've now done another network reset and given the computer a reserved address on the router. (It's the same address I was trying to set as static.) So far, the file sharing appears to be working as I want. I'm curious (wondering and worried, really) to see if the problem is really resolved, but your experience, Steve, gives me hope.

Thanks again.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          Steve and Randy,
          Thanks for the quick responses. The network reports as private after assigning a static address. Homegroup sharing works normally. Only shared folders appear to be affected. I could not find any settings besides the static IP that were changed.

I've now done another network reset and given the computer a reserved address on the router. (It's the same address I was trying to set as static.) So far, the file sharing appears to be working as I want. I'm curious (wondering and worried, really) to see if the problem is really resolved, but your experience, Steve, gives me hope.

Thanks again.
          Just a personal preference, but I would always recommend a DHCP reservation instead of a static IP, so that the device will always connect to a network, even if moved to a different one. But that is just my opinion...
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Just a personal preference, but I would always recommend a DHCP reservation instead of a static IP, so that the device will always connect to a network, even if moved to a different one. But that is just my opinion...
            I'm coming to that conclusion as well. In particular, there are threads in other boards devoted to Windows networking issues, and this particular problem is a hot topic right now, so it has elicited some fairly diverse, but well-informed opinions. While it isn't unanimous, it does seem like a comfortable majority of networking pros are of a similar mind: the default should be address reservation, with static IP addresses used only for special circumstances where reservation is not a good fit. I'm thinking I should start implementing that strategy more broadly on my home network.

Comment

As of the Creators update you can go to (from the start button) Settings>Network & Internet>>Ethernet> then click on your network connection and you will have selections for network profile.
              ]
              Randy, If I remember the problem was that on the affected computers with a fixed IP the ethernet connection, though working, showed as unrecognised and the options to switch between public and private no longer appeared. They aren't greyed out or anything it just takes you to a different dialog box. I don't use Homegroup so that may affect things. On other, almost identical, PCs on the same network I had fixed IP addresses and the Network Profile options to switch between public and private were accessible although on private anyway. These PCs were all fine before the creators update.

Having said all that I agree with you that IP reservations are the better way of doing it.

Steve

Comment

Here continue to utilize static IP addresses for much of the network devices. Wrote a small spreadsheet here with DNS names, IP addresses and MAC addresses grouped ...still old school...use an srom programmer for my touchscreen tablets here programming custom mac addresses on them..

Router, switches, appliances (use IP reservation with a few), servers, desktops, laptops, et al. Currently at the top end of my 25 bit subnet mask...~127 devices.
                Last edited by Pete; March 1, 2018, 09:13 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Comment

https://www.howtogeek.com/245982/wha...ks-in-windows/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Kerat; March 2, 2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                      For me DHCP IP reservations work flawlessly.
                      Same here. It's static IP where the problem surfaces. I've switched to address reservation and it looks like my problem is solved - for now.
                      Based on the description of the problem, to me this sounds like either:
                      Static IP address problem. If all devices are on the same subnet (ex: 192.168.1.0/24), Check your subnet mask (255.255.255.0).
                      I have confirmed that the subnet mask is correct. All communication on the network appears to be normal when a static IP is specified - except that shared folders are not accessible. Everything works fine after a network reset, but just changing the IPV4 adapter to a static IP - on just this computer - makes its shared folders disappear. (I can still see the shared folders from other computers on the network from that box, just not the other way around.)
                      Alternatively, windows firewall classifies networks as domain, private, and public. Your windows firewall rules change depending on which firewall network type you have selected.
                      I have found that major upgrades (ex: fall creator’s upgrade) will reset many system settings that I manually disabled.
                      Again, the puzzle is that everything works as expected when the IP address is assigned by the router. After changing the IP to static, the network is still identified as Private on the Network Status screen.

Based on comments on this thread, it would appear that something about setting a static IP address is changing something else - on this computer only - but I have given up trying to find what that something else is.

Comment

Working...
                      X