Remote Kinect Disconnects/Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Kinect Disconnects/Issues

All of my remote instances run fine for about a day or two, but eventually lose connection, crash, or something happens and I was hoping you could help me understand/troubleshoot the problems.

I've closed out of and have limited my remote instances to 1 at the moment to try and understand, so here's all the setup info:

Server:
    • HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.152 (Windows)
    • Kinect Plugin 3.0.0.23
    • WHS 2011 SP1
    • Core i3
    • 8GB Ram
    • 1 Kinect Directly connected to USB 2.0 Port
    • Kinect for Windows Developers Toolkit v1.70
    • Kinect for Windows Driver v1.7
    • Kinect for Windows Runtime v1.7
    • Kinect for Windows SDK v1.7
    • Kinect for Windows Speech Recognition Language Pack (en-US)
    • Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5.2

Remote Computer:
    • WinBook TW700 Tablet
    • Windows 8.1
    • Intel BayTrail-T
    • 1GB Ram
    • Power Plugged in always
    • 1 Kinect Directly connected to USB 2.0 Port
    • Kinect for Windows Developers Toolkit v1.70
    • Kinect for Windows Driver v1.7
    • Kinect for Windows Runtime v1.7
    • Kinect for Windows SDK v1.7
    • Kinect for Windows Speech Recognition Language Pack (en-US)
    • File Structure:
      • C:\HS3P
        • Connect_Kinect.bat
        • Kinect (all files updated everytime Kinect Plugin Updates)
          • HomeSeerAPI.dll
          • HSCF.dll
          • HSPI_KINECT.exe
          • Kinect.Toobox.dll
          • Schedule.dll

The Connect_Kinect.bat file is:
    Code:
    cd C:\HS3P\Kinect\
    HSPI_KINECT.exe server=192.168.1.82 instance=MasterBedroom autoreconnect=60
    Kinect.ini
    Code:
    [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
    attention_phrase=Jarvis
    confidence_threshold=0.8
    [GENERAL]
    log_level=Debug
    [ZONES]
    3###name=Overall
    3###type=Overall
    4###name=Right in Front
    4###type=Rectangular
    4###x1=-2
    4###x2=2
    4###z1=0
    4###z2=2
    [CAMERA]
    netcam_enabled=True
    [CONFIG_DEVICE]

Kinect_MasterBedroom.ini
    Code:
    [GENERAL]
    log_level=Debug
    [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
    attention_phrase=Jarvis
    echo_cancellation=True
    confidence_threshold=0.65
    [CAMERA]
    netcam_enabled=False
    [CONFIG_DEVICE]
    222###voicecommand=True
    222###100###command=turn [the] [Master Bedroom] [light] On
    222###0###command=turn [the] [Master Bedroom] [light] Off

I restarted the remote instance last night by closing the .bat file and rerunning it. As of this morning it is still running. I'll update when I notice it no longer responding.

Thank you!

I'm sorry I can't be of any help whatsoever, but, am I correct that you're running a Kinect on a WHS 2011 machine? Did you have to jump through any hoops to get this working? Are you using a super long USB cable of some kind to place the Kinect remotely? I too am running HS3 on a WHS 2011 machine but it's in my basement nowhere near any place I'd want a Kinect.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

ckelly,

does the remote instance crash (i.e process ends), or does it get stuck (i.e VR doesn't work anymore, nothing is written to the logs/console)

it would help to get the last lines written to the logs/console before it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        I'm sorry I can't be of any help whatsoever, but, am I correct that you're running a Kinect on a WHS 2011 machine? Did you have to jump through any hoops to get this working? Are you using a super long USB cable of some kind to place the Kinect remotely? I too am running HS3 on a WHS 2011 machine but it's in my basement nowhere near any place I'd want a Kinect.
        No hoops, installed easily and works great! My WHS is in my office currently and I just have the Kinect directly connected. For the rooms that don't have computers in them that I wanted a Kinect, I bought a bunch of the WinBook tablets at MicroCenter for <$50 (used.) They seem to work great!

My HTPC is pretty far from my living room TV though and I use a monoprice active USB extension cable for that. It generally works pretty well, but as this thread states, I've been having problems with my remote instances. Hopefully when that is fixed it will be working great again!

Originally posted by spud View Post
        ckelly,

does the remote instance crash (i.e process ends), or does it get stuck (i.e VR doesn't work anymore, nothing is written to the logs/console)

it would help to get the last lines written to the logs/console before it happens.
        spud, it's the latter. It gets stuck and I haven't been able to see anything in the logs. -- As of this moment it's still working, but I'll be checking the logs periodically to see if I can see anything!

Comment

Remote Instance is still running, but...

I just got this message in the log:

Code:
          Feb-27 9:41:37 PM 	  	Plug-In 	Shutting down Plug-In: Kinect
          This happened right after I installed the FaceRecognition Beta, maybe unrelated.

But now when I try to go to the configuration page for the remote instance, I get this:

Code:
          Error finding plugin in GenPage: The method or operation is not implemented.
          But, it still responds to commands as of this moment.

Comment

Spud,

I am running the exact setup

1 kinect on HS computer
            3 remote using TW700 (Winbook)

I have the exact same experience.

It will randomly quit working with remote instances and nothing in the logs, on occasion it will cause all Kinects to stop responding and a reboot of the system is necessary, if you try and restart plugin it says the Kinect is in use.

If I run HS Kinect only my system is very stable and will run for weeks with no issue.

Let me know if you need anything to help.

Thanks,
            Steven

Comment

ckellyusa

I see your in Dallas

Just curious what are you doing to your tablets to keep them from sleeping?

I have set all power options to off and set a black screen saver, I also turned brightness down to lowest setting and I access each tablet via TeamViewer.

Thanks,
              Steven G

Comment

haha, PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by steveng View Post
                  ckellyusa

I see your in Dallas

Just curious what are you doing to your tablets to keep them from sleeping?

I have set all power options to off and set a black screen saver, I also turned brightness down to lowest setting and I access each tablet via TeamViewer.

Thanks,
                  Steven G
                  I'm in the same boat, tablet can't shut the display off without going full on sleep mode, so the display always has its backlight on too for a black display.... anyone got any idea on how to get it to power down without sleeping?

Comment

Originally posted by Furious View Post
                    I'm in the same boat, tablet can't shut the display off without going full on sleep mode, so the display always has its backlight on too for a black display.... anyone got any idea on how to get it to power down without sleeping?
                    Have you tried my remote computer control & network monitor? You can turn the monitor screen off with that remotely via HS.
                    Jon

Comment

Cheers Jon, I'll try that

Comment

Further to the above - I'm running a single remote instance.
                        Now what I have noticed is that there are random periods where it doesn't seem to recognise anything - no background noise, just like it's stalled and not listening. Nothing in the console, but then I turn logging to info as the sheer number of lines logged is just too much information.

Is there any chance of logging to a file, or even filtering? A date/timestamp would be extremely helpful too, and maybe the time to process input, etc?

It would be cool to see if there is a problem with the confidence at the time there are problems, as it seems by the time I remote into the system to check, voice recognition is back, and I have no clue if the last console entries were from an hour or a minute ago.

This is a great plugin and real fast when it works, so eager to get it stable so I can add it to my plugin collection

Comment

Originally posted by Furious View Post
                          Further to the above - I'm running a single remote instance.
                          Now what I have noticed is that there are random periods where it doesn't seem to recognise anything - no background noise, just like it's stalled and not listening. Nothing in the console, but then I turn logging to info as the sheer number of lines logged is just too much information.

Is there any chance of logging to a file, or even filtering? A date/timestamp would be extremely helpful too, and maybe the time to process input, etc?

It would be cool to see if there is a problem with the confidence at the time there are problems, as it seems by the time I remote into the system to check, voice recognition is back, and I have no clue if the last console entries were from an hour or a minute ago.

This is a great plugin and real fast when it works, so eager to get it stable so I can add it to my plugin collection
                          I'll add the possibility to log to a file with timestamps for both console and file.
                          Note that right now, everything that you see in the console is written to the HS logs with timestamps, so it is better to check there for debugging.

Comment

in version 3.0.0.28 timestamps have been added to console logs.
                            The possibility to log to a file is not done yet.
                            Last edited by spud; March 12, 2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X