Multi-Room Kinect Setup Example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
    I read that Kinect Plugin needs win 7 or 8. Does the HS3 machine need to be running Win 7 or 8, or just the Client?
    just the machine on which the Kinect plugin is running
    you can have your HS3 machine running XP, and the Kinect plugin running remotely on win 7

Comment

Hey TomTom -

Thanks . Yeah, I wanted to get the video for a few reasons, HS people and some guys at work - Wasn't sure how I would be after the surgery since its painful to walk too much ... (damn two story houses....)

I see Spud answered the question for the plugin....

So you need a machine with 7 for the Kinect itself - So a tablet like I'm using in my two rooms, the only issue on the tablets is you can connect just one Kinect since its a single USB Hub. I have read that if you don't do video, one bus can handle TWO Kinect's for just audio/speech. I haven't tried it myself, yet ... So far Ive followed the single HUB for a Single Kinect.

Comment

Thank you for your reply guys.

VR has always seemed so difficult until now...Spuds plugin, Kinects accuracy and these helpful videos/posts make it more "do-able".

Surovich, from your post to Rupp, I see I can run win 8.1 on my Intel Atom 1.68 ghz computer. So I'll just upgrade my hs machine from xp to win8.1. Needed to be done- spuds plugin will be worth the trouble. My Clients are jogglers running on android kitkat so I'll just run the Kinects to my HS machine directly.

If you could help me here: how many Kinects do you think I can run on this hs dedicated machine( no camera or video use)? It has 5 USB spots.
        Tom
        baby steps...starting again with HS3
        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

surovich,
          One more question, how far can you be away from the Kinect unit for decent voice recognition.
          Tom
          baby steps...starting again with HS3
          HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
          HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
          Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
          In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
          System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

If you use Echo cancellation you can be several feet away with audio playing and talk to it at a normal volume.

Comment

I'm down to help you test too!

I might have a bit more learning to do though, but I currently have a kinect in my office and living room. I like the idea of using the cheap tablets for other remote locations, so I'll probably be picking a few of those up.

Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, I can be about 20 Feet if there isn't a lot of noise in the room - In a room with some background noise, maybe 10 or so ... Its impressive - The array Mic's in the Kinect are just great.

As for the PC, with just audio - Its a tough call ... I run HS3 on a VM on an ESXi host - so I don't have the HS3 overhead (although, its low ... )

So on a Dual, you might get 2 - Maybe 3 - The CPU will be high, but as long as it stays around say 70% or so, it will run well. Once over say 90%, there little room for any playing - So I prefer to stay below 80% on anything. (Also what we aim for on ESX Hosts at work - Once I start to hit 80% on a resource, we need to expand ....).

Comment

ckelly -

Ive been impressed on that 7" Tablet - Granted, its not my Surface Pro 3 - but I did some testing yesterday - With the Kinect with the VR and Camera, I could play an HD Movie and the CPU was about 85% - RAM was about 850MB. The screen isn't great, but perfect for what I'm using it for. Can't beat a $20 Kinect with a $60 tablet for Room Control

I have a new tablet coming from Aliexpress I'm going to toy with, but its a 10" - Quad Core 2GB of RAM (and it Dual Boots Android and Windows 8.1) - it was $189 but they have a 8" Version for $119 I think - I may get one if the 10" works out well...

Comment

Originally posted by surovich View Post
                    The middle of the house was done using 2400 Pixels controlled by the E1.31 Protocol. It worked out very well, I was surprised and love what you can do with it. It was a lot of soldering and wire, but WELL worth the work.

Not to hijack the thread completely, but do you have more information, a how-to, close up of the designs, etc. on this? I want to learn at bit more about it and see if it's a project I want to tackle as well!

Thanks!

Comment

ckelly -

I don't have a how to as per say - One of my major engineering issues is designing on the fly - I usually assume that no one wants to know what I did... I need to start assuming more people would like toy do the things I play around with.

There is a great forum I use for the light stuff - I'll send it over to you in a PM, do we can keep this threads on the Kinect track rather than Grizwalding a house

Comment

Great videos - what is the USB device you are using that allows you to charge the tablet and connect the Kinect?

Comment

Originally posted by dcuddihy View Post
                          Great videos - what is the USB device you are using that allows you to charge the tablet and connect the Kinect?
                          I would also like to know that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                          Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                          X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                          Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                          Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                          Scripts =
                          Various

Comment

So, for a Windows tablet that has a Single Micro USB for power and USB peripherals - you need something like :

+port
                            Vener8 (What I have in my Computer Room on the video)

Or a Hacked Hub where you cut some traces and add a resistor - Theres work there, and I have to say I suggest the Veneer8 as #1, the +port works but I have one and it died and they seem to have no desire to replaced it for me.

The Vener8 has been used for 2 weeks now and its been solid : http://vener8.net/

Comment

Thanks for the tip. This is a much needed device. I'm surprised at how difficult it is to find.

Do you know if the Plugable Pro8 also works with the iView tablet?
                              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

great videos.

What are you using for your speech engine or voices? Sounds much better than the default that i'm using.

Comment

Working...
                                X