Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washer/Dryer Breaks Insteon Plugin? - Fixed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also just tried upgrading to the latest FTDI drivers (November 16 2010) and plugged in a USB hub but still no luck. It fails as soon as the washer motor kicks in.

Comment

what about an old low end ups
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

woo! I ran an extension cord from my PLM over to an outlet closer to the breaker panel and a littl further away from the washing machine and after doing a load of laundry, my lights still seem to work. Crossing my fingers.

I thought I had tried this already but maybe not. 2 things are different now. 1) I have a filter on my washer/dryer. 2) I turned off my Leviton X10 coupler/repeater. I dont seem to need it anymore with the insteon devices.

i'll give it a week or so and report back here.

thanks for the help, guys.

Comment

Well that is good news Dan. Keep us posted.

i have a tv and fios box that i have on a ups and x10 noise filter to eliminate the noise they generate. both ups and noise filter are required; one by itself doesn't fix the problem.

sometimes its a combination of things.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Do you know if Smarthome knows about this issue? Or is it not really their problem and has more to do with FTDI?

I really dont understand why these USB PLM and PLC devices need to be converted into a virtual serial port to work. Seems like its just adding a layer of complexity that can fail.

Comment

Originally posted by DanWheeler View Post
              Do you know if Smarthome knows about this issue? Or is it not really their problem and has more to do with FTDI?

I really dont understand why these USB PLM and PLC devices need to be converted into a virtual serial port to work. Seems like its just adding a layer of complexity that can fail.
              Dan,

i did check in with SH on this issue and they have had a few reports; but no solutions. Keep in mind they design their products in a lab (probably without a washing machine running) and then rely on beta testers to find issues using the products in the real world. Its probably hit or miss.

I believe the PLC is a different animal and doesn't use the FTDI chip that the PLMs do. Hense the SDM layer which is slow and has its own problems.

SH would have had to create a custom usb plm driver if they didn't use the FTDI chip which is $$ trade-off. And then there would be two different interfaces/protocols for people like me to deal with.

There is another PLM solution avail; its called an RF INSTEON USB Interface. It acts just like a plm but uses RF instead of the powerline and no x10 support. I beta tested it and support it in the plugin.

check it out
              http://www.smarthome.com/2448A7/INST...Adapter/p.aspx

hope this helps

i would probably stick with what you have if you think you can install a permanent solution and ditch the extension cord.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
              X