Garage Door Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Door Opener

What types of zwave garage door controllers are out there and compatible with Homeseer?

I have the linear garage door controller and has been a pain ever since I bought it. Keeps loosing connection, hard to include, etc...

Any way of doing it with a relay?

TIA...

Can you put another unit between your garage door opener and HomeSeer system? Maybe the distance is marginal. Until I had other wall switches added I use to put an inexpensive plug-in module in to extend my range.
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
      Can you put another unit between your garage door opener and HomeSeer system? Maybe the distance is marginal. Until I had other wall switches added I use to put an inexpensive plug-in module in to extend my range.
      +1 for this plan. Had a very marginal experience until I swapped out the manual light switches in the garage to zwave. Did a full optimization after that and everything has been nominal since.

Comment

I never had any connection problems really with my GD00Z-4, but I've lost two GD00Z-4's already. Both died just shortly after the 1yr warranty period. Pretty easy to see others have the same short lifespan as well. They aren't reliable.

I actually picked up an Aeotec GDC, but had all sorts of problems with the tilt sensor reporting correct door status even after extensive testing and phenomenal help with Aeotec support it just never worked correctly. Also had two of those in the hopes they wouldn't die after a year like the GoControl/Linear options.

MyQ I know has it's own quirks, but I think the reliability has to be better.

I wish I could code as opengarage.io looks neat because it can even see the status of the car being there or not. But there's no plug-in at this point for it.

I wish I knew of something that worked well

Comment

Originally posted by julez View Post
          I never had any connection problems really with my GD00Z-4, but I've lost two GD00Z-4's already. Both died just shortly after the 1yr warranty period. Pretty easy to see others have the same short lifespan as well. They aren't reliable.

I actually picked up an Aeotec GDC, but had all sorts of problems with the tilt sensor reporting correct door status even after extensive testing and phenomenal help with Aeotec support it just never worked correctly. Also had two of those in the hopes they wouldn't die after a year like the GoControl/Linear options.

MyQ I know has it's own quirks, but I think the reliability has to be better.

I wish I could code as opengarage.io looks neat because it can even see the status of the car being there or not. But there's no plug-in at this point for it.

I wish I knew of something that worked well
          I don't think it would be too difficult to make a script or plugin to interface with a garage.io I've also thought about the GogoGate2.

I don't have either of them though. I also have a GD00Z-4 and so far so good. But from reports I half way expect it to go anytime. But so far it's worked well for me.

Comment

Garage Door Opener

I have old school door openers that just make the circuit with a momentary switch. I have a linear dry contact relay wired in parallel with the original button along with z-wave tilt sensors. I have a z-wave siren that operates for 5 secs if the door is triggered by Z-wave prior to actually triggering the door.

This has been rock solid for me for 4+ years. In that time I have had the virtual and physical door status get out of whack maybe 3 times.

Perhaps this is not as integrated a solution as some of the newer single box options, but it works for me.
            cheeryfool

Comment

Who cares about elegance? I have an X-10 universal module plugged into an X-10 wall socket. When I ask Alexa to open the garage door (now possible with Jon's helper script) , it first turns on the X-10 wall socket, then sends an X-10 on to the universal module which is wired in parallel to the garage door opener button. The universal module is setup to beep 3 times before opening. It momentarily closes the contact to open/close the garage door, then the X-10 socket turns off the power to the universal module. I did it this way to prevent any spurious X-10 signal to open the door. Both devices are assigned separate house/address code. We're at the 7 1/2 year mark with this solution which works 100% all the time.

I use a ds10a for status of the door... If the garage door is left open, at 10:00 pm, it closes automatically.

So I guess what I'm saying is whatever works. If I would do it now, I'd likely use a mimolite z-wave module setup for momentary on mode.

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I have mine controlled by $5 Sonoff Basic with modified Tasmota firmware installed. It is described in Section 12.1 of http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf

My garage door has two contact switches. One for open and one for closed. While only one needed to be used for the automation I did use both and defined three states that are visible to HS. OPEN, CLOSED and INDETERMINATE.

The Firmware in the Sonoff will accept a desired state command. From Alexa, for example, It will be CLOSE GARAGE DOOR. The Sonoff will recognize the door is already closed and do nothing other than echo of status. If is was open then it will close it. It will make up to four attempts to get the close contact to reflect the door position is now closed. The max time for the door to go from open to close is a user setting in the browser interface of the Sonoff.

Two features are nice with this implementation. One is that I do not need any additional sensors and make use of those that are already used by the garage door motor electronics. The second is that I do not need to know the current state of the door, but only need to know the position I want it to be in. This avoids issues with doing a basic relay control to replace the door opener pushbutton where you really need to know current state which would make it difficult to be practical if Alexa control is desired.

Comment

I use a "NuTone NFS20Z Smart Z-Wave Enabled Isolated Fixture Mounted Control" which is wired in parallel with my garage manual push button.

The isolated fixture is either on/off but I use an event to turn it off 3 seconds after I turn it on to convert it to a momentary event.

I have a camera pointed at my garage door so I can visually see it's status. I have plans to wire a "Honeywell 958 OverHead Garage Door Hardwired Sensor with Magnet" into my alarm panel to give me open/closed status.
                  HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                  Number of Devices: 1005
                  Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                    When I ask Alexa to open the garage door (now possible with Jon's helper script)...
                    Robert
                    I assume that's using the command "Alexa, ask homeseer to open (or close) the garage door" via the skill?

I've been trying to figure out how to do it using the command "Alexa, close the garage door" which would use the home automation functions.

UPDATE: I did find one way to do it using Alexa routines however I'm not sure if that really the best way.
                    Last edited by Timon; June 16, 2018, 04:52 AM. Reason: Update
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                      I assume that's using the command "Alexa, ask homeseer to open (or close) the garage door" via the skill?

I've been trying to figure out how to do it using the command "Alexa, close the garage door" which would use the home automation functions.

UPDATE: I did find one way to do it using Alexa routines however I'm not sure if that really the best way.
                      I use the "Tell HomeSeer to open/close the garage door" and it works fine.

Comment

I had the Nutone/Linear/GoControl GD00Z-4 Zwave controller for over a year and experienced many problems with it especially with the accompanying tilt sensor.

I now have a two part solution for the garage door:
                        1. A Sonoff 4CHPro to control opening/closing of the garage door integrated with HS via MQTT
                        2. An Ecolink Zwave Tilt Sensor for real time open/close status of the garage door.

Using Alexa Routines, I cay say "Alexa, Open the garage door" or Alexa, Close the garage door"

It works every time and has been rock solid in reliability. I've written a how-to on the Sonoff integration which you can find here:
                        https://forums.homeseer.com/attachme...5&d=1527265561

Comment

Yes. I use Jon's alexa helper and have it execute the power on/off commands as necessary responding to both open and close the garage door.

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Here the whole issue with my garage doors (since the 80's) is that I have had no visuals or limited visuals and always have relied on GDO sensors. In the 80's with a Sears Craftman GDO in a detached garage used a combination wired illuminated touch button with a strobe and beeper on it. Introducing automation (if then) with the alarm panel (with speech) never thought back then in the 90's that wife would drive in to the garage while on a conference call and remain in her automobile chatting with the car on. I had a timer configured to close the garage door if it opened and the alarm was on. IE: would trigger an alarm and close the the garage door.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                            X