Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiegand Prox Door Locks? (Elk M1 Gold or OmniPro II)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiegand Prox Door Locks? (Elk M1 Gold or OmniPro II)

Have any of you used Wiegand Readers?
    I have to install a few at Church and don't see much support for them in HS3 so am leaning towards Elk M1 Gold or OmniPro II?
    I installed Elk on a job a long time ago when X-10 was in but have not used the Omni system before so wanted to hear you suggestions as they don't want to spend a ton on it and i am donating my time so don't want to go down the wrong road and have to start over either
    I have heard the only negative to the Omni is the lag time and since automated outlet is downsizing they don't sell Elk anymore so the Omni may be better but i wanted to see if anyone has used them before i try one
    Thanks

Yes, i have a HID RPK40 reader on my house (although i do access control for a profession, i actually bought this reader off Ebay for less then $100). It goes to a Arduino to decode the data bits into decimal numbers. From the Arduino it goes out on the serial com port to Homeseer where i have a script that receives the data and compares it against a config file with all the registered tokens. I got gthe Homeseer script off here 10 years ago that originally decoded one of the parallax readers, the Arduino script i got by Googleing and then editing it for what i wanted. I also pass data back to the Arduino from Homeseer to control the beep and LED depending on access failed or granted.

Two improvements you could make is get the HID readers to do RS485 instead of Weigand Clock/Data and/or you could probably take the Arduino out of the loop.

If you're interested in the scripts, i'll dig them all up.

If this is a church and thus a standalone system, I would just run everything off an Arduino, you could probably take the Arduino script i have and just add some code to compare against any keys entered or badges/fobs swiped.

I've looked at a more "robust" systems on Ebay for some NonForProfits but never bought one. But the idea would be that there is some UI that non technical people could manage and it wouldn't require programming an Arduino. However maybe if you're a programmer you could use an Arduino and use a Ethernet shield on the Arduino and create a local web page to add badges/fobs/codes. That way someone non technical can take it over someday.

Comment

Thanks i thought about the going the Arduino route but wanted to be able to add motion sensors and integrate lighting down the road so think the elk or omni may be a better route i am just not sure what one to go with

Comment

Working...
      X