X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain8 Pro 2 no comms with MCS

Hello all!
    Been a while since I posted here.
    I have v2.14.021 (Professional) and a Rain8 PRO2, win 8.1 and the Homeseer version is HS2. The PRO2 communicates fine with the Rain8 config program. When I try to connect I get the following log entry: "OpenProgrammingPort 11 Line 400 The port 'COM11' does not exist"
    The com port shows in Device manager fine. I have tried other ports with no joy.
    Comments?
    Jim
    ka7gzr

When mcsSprinklers is launched it needs to be at elevated privileges because of the direct access of hardware resources such as COM port. Since it is just a dll I would think that it will run with same privilege as HS2. Is HS2 launches with "run as administrator"?

Comment

Hi Michael
      Yes I do run it as admin.
      My Rain8net runs without any problem. I wonder if there is something different with the Pro2 interface?
      Jim

Comment

It looks to me as if the issue with the existence of COM11 and not with anything the RS232 cable is connected. If I select a non-existence port on my W7 computer I will receive this message.

I stopped updating the Programming capability as Warren introduced additional variants of the basic Rain8Net. To setup the hardware you should use the utility provided on Warren's page.

I expect the operational protocol remains the same so one setup it should work just like the Rain8Net+ with 8 valve control and count/switch input.

Comment

Michael,
          I can communicate with the Rain8 and the Pro2 now with Warren's Demo and Config programs. However, MCS will not communicate with it at all. I have run the Communication Test and the Module Search and they return nothing.
          Jim

Comment

The message about COM11 at the start of the thread is associated with trying to program the Rain8 hardware. Two suggestions. One is to assure no programming port is setup on the Rain8 page. The second is to provide debug that may help understand why programming is being attempted.

Comment

Michael,
              I don't get the Com Port 11 message any more. After working with Warren I discovered he had sent me a "expansion" module instead of "master" module. I was able to convert it to a master by his config program.
              I will get you a debug file if I can remember how to it create it...
              Jim

Comment

Has anybody successfully integrated a Rain8 Pro2 with HS2?

Comment

WGL site identifies one protocol for entire Rain8Net family. I have Rain8Net PRO that has been integrated. Same operations as the original Rain8Net+ with improved lightning protection.

TTL (0/5v) interfaces may not totally achieve the 0/1 logic level that would be seen with a true RS-232 (+/-12v). I believe the PRO has true RS-232 levels while the earlier ones were TTL. This consideration would usually not be affected by SW so a config/demo program would have difficulty as well if it was a HW interface problem.

The Serial IO page contains the low level byte by byte communication with the Rain8. Take a screen shot of it after trying to control a valve.

Comment

Working...
                  X