Controller Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controller Recommendation

I was wondering if mcsSprinklers for HS3 can control the Z-Wave Irrigation Controller by GoControl?

If not, what controller would you recommend for use with HS3?

The house I moved into has a 5 zone irrigation system. I can use Z-Wave or a network connection. The current controller is a Rain Bird with no automation.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

I have the WI15VZ-1 by GoControl (on sale at homeseer) and it works fantastic. The zones can be adjusted time wise by using the wait command, I can show a screenshot if needed.
    Last edited by cowinger; May 25, 2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah I think I'd go this way if I had to start all over. I have a couple of rain8nets which work perfectly fine. I did pay a whole lot more for the pair of them though. At the price of the GoControl, I think it would definitely be worth a shot.

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
        I have the WI15VZ-1 by GoControl (on sale at homeseer) and it works fantastic. The zones can be adjusted time wise by using the wait command, I can show a screenshot if needed.

I would like to see a screenshot.
        Ok, so the GoControl replaces my RainBird as the controller, correct?
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Does the GoControl unit work with MCSSprinklers?
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I'm not using the plug-in but here's my event with the Go Control controller. From what I've read the WAIT statement is not recommended for long times.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Here is a screen shot. The last line in the event is to turn off the sprinkler controller all together. Last line would be:
              "Then set device main garage irrigation system enable to off". Same as the one toward the top just change to off. Yes this would replace your rainbird.
              Attached Files

Comment

mcsSprinklers can control any HS device. The downside to using HS devices is that mcsSprinklers cannot manage failure conditions because it does not get status back from the controller, but is managed by the zwave or whatever plugin provides the interface. Native control with device management is EtherRain (Ethernet) and Rain8 (UPB, RS-232, X10). There are several smart controllers that have hit the market recently and some provide weather-based scheduling. The orientation of these is typically a smartphone app interface.

I have had mcsSprinklers running in a ARM (e.g. RPi) for several years but have not had the initiative to package it.

If you just want simple scheduling with a remote UI then one of these new products would seem the easiest way to go. If you are more commercially oriented such as a nursery or want to collect and observe your irrigation over multiple years then you will be hard pressed to find something with the capabilities provided by mcsSprinklers.

I find the EtherRain interface the most desirable for mcsSprinklers. Rain8's have issues that has resulted in much software in mcsSprinklers to deal with the various malfunctions that have been observed over the years. The downside of EtherRain is that only one valve can be on at a time in any bank of 8. Recognize also that anything used with mcsSprinklers depends upon a host computer (e.g. Homeseer) always available.

The basic Home Depot timer such a Rainbird or Orbit does not depend upon a computer and are not susceptible to the anomalies that occur with electronics that are sensitive to power spikes and interruptions. Smart devices are great when they work, but these new devices that have just come off the drawing board and into the yard with little field experience. They use technology that will be obsolete in a handful of years. If you are around to monitor them then should be fine, but I would not put them in a remote location where you are not able to kick the tires or cycle the power.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  mcsSprinklers can control any HS device. The downside to using HS devices is that mcsSprinklers cannot manage failure conditions because it does not get status back from the controller, but is managed by the zwave or whatever plugin provides the interface. Native control with device management is EtherRain (Ethernet) and Rain8 (UPB, RS-232, X10). There are several smart controllers that have hit the market recently and some provide weather-based scheduling. The orientation of these is typically a smartphone app interface.

I have had mcsSprinklers running in a ARM (e.g. RPi) for several years but have not had the initiative to package it.

If you just want simple scheduling with a remote UI then one of these new products would seem the easiest way to go. If you are more commercially oriented such as a nursery or want to collect and observe your irrigation over multiple years then you will be hard pressed to find something with the capabilities provided by mcsSprinklers.

I find the EtherRain interface the most desirable for mcsSprinklers. Rain8's have issues that has resulted in much software in mcsSprinklers to deal with the various malfunctions that have been observed over the years. The downside of EtherRain is that only one valve can be on at a time in any bank of 8. Recognize also that anything used with mcsSprinklers depends upon a host computer (e.g. Homeseer) always available.

The basic Home Depot timer such a Rainbird or Orbit does not depend upon a computer and are not susceptible to the anomalies that occur with electronics that are sensitive to power spikes and interruptions. Smart devices are great when they work, but these new devices that have just come off the drawing board and into the yard with little field experience. They use technology that will be obsolete in a handful of years. If you are around to monitor them then should be fine, but I would not put them in a remote location where you are not able to kick the tires or cycle the power.
                  Ok, so I just upgraded to a GoControl Zwave plus for the 12 irrigation zones at our new place.

In Homeseer- there isn't really a "device" for each Zone. You can set a device to say "Run zone X for Y minutes".

About to the MCS Sprinklers pro with it. Ran it at my last house with a Rain 8 pro.

Not sure how this is going to work...
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                  Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                  weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I looked at HS site and GoControl site and never saw anything more that an single unit control. Do you have a link to the 12 zone unit??

Latest addition to mcsSprinklers is Sonoff 4Ch Pro that sell for $30/4 relays and have a WiFi interface. Need to update the firmware so it has logic to protect against valve ON too long and valve OFF too long. That is essentially what is different between a standard relay/output device and an irrigation control device.

Comment

The controller is essentially one homeseer device. It has 16 relays. You can set the status on that one device to
                      A multitude of numbers. Zero is offf for all relays. Some number like 1001 is zone one for 5 minutes. 1002 would be some 1 for ten minutes.

2001 would be some 2 for 5 minutes. 2002 would be for ten.

Each relay does NOT have a homeseer device.

I thought about making one and using events to control
                      The status. For example- virtual device one could launch an event to set the status to 1005 with would be zone one for 60 minutes. When it goes off, it sets the status to zero. I think mcs sprinklers could then control it. Caveat being it cannot set a zone for more than 60 minutes.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Where is the technical information about it?

Comment

The best I have is the installation manual.

http://www.homeseer.com/pdfs/Nortek/WI15Z-1-manual.pdf

If you are looking for API info- not sure this helps much. It has some z-wave command classes info.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

http://www.nortekcontrol.com/pdf/literature/WI15Z-1-GoControl-Smart-Irrigation-Controller-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

I ordered one and a US stick to play with. If I can figure it out I will use mcsSprinklers to provide a good user interface. In concept it should be similar to EtherRain where the controller is 1 valve at a time and mcsSprinklers used to setup the program based upon time or moisture level on a valve-by-valve basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X