IWAC7 Problem with a Re-Flash fix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IWAC7 Problem with a Re-Flash fix!

So this past weekend, I noticed one of my IWAC7 screens wasn't doing its automatic dimming thing. I rebooted the screen only to see it hang after the ANDROID logo did his Ice Cream Sandwich animation. I tried rebooting several times with different power hook-ups only to get to the same point. I figured the firmware might have been corrupted and since the screen was still under warranty I submitted a help desk ticket. HS responded quickly and said they no longer stock the screen (something I already knew) and that they did not have a repair procedure. They offered to send me an open box test unit or a gift certificate for use in the HS store. I needed something to fill the hole in the wall left by the non-operating screen so I had decided to opt for the open box tester. It wasn't the solution I had hoped for, but it seemed the best option.

I had searched the internet for how to re-flash firmware for an in-wall Android touchscreen with no results, but I did come across the SIBO company (the manufacturer of these units) and a way to contact them via e-mail. So, I submitted an e-mail to them inquiring about the firmware files and a re-flash procedure. To my surprise I received a reply well within 24 hours that included a link to the firmware files and the procedure for the re-flash. I'm happy to say that the re-flash procedure worked and my screen is once again 100% functional. It took me some time to reload the HS Touch app and I had to go back and ask SIBO for the Custom SIBO app that auto-loads HS Touch, but now that I have everything I'm pretty sure I could easily rebuild an entire screen in 15 minutes or less. I'd like to point out that the contact at SIBO (Suri) has been exceptionally helpful with lightning fast responses. I am VERY impressed!!

The firmware files and required apps are too large to attach here, so I'm open to ideas on how best to post them for the community. I have e-mailed HS Tech Support about what I've done, but I don't know if they are willing to host the files in their download section.

For the re-flash, you'll need an empty micro SD card. Unzip the contents of .rar zip file containing the firmware to the root directory of the SD card. You should have a script file and a directory full of stuff when this is done. Power off the device and insert the micro SD card into the slot on the side, then power up the unit. It'll automatically execute the re-flash. Once the re-flash is complete, you'll be prompted to remove the micro SD card and the device will reboot. After the initial configuration steps, you can reinstall HS touch, but just make sure you have the latest version. The one in the Google Play store is a bit outdated. Once HS Touch app is installed, reconfigure it and the rest of the screen settings. Your last act will be to install the Custom SIBO app (which requires no configuration) and you are done.

If anyone finds that their IWAC7 units start experiencing problems, then a re-flash might be the way to go. This is a seriously simple procedure that can breath new life into a seemingly dead touchscreen.

Originally posted by Techvet View Post
    ... that included a link to the firmware files and the procedure for the re-flash...

...The firmware files and required apps are too large to attach here, so I'm open to ideas on how best to post them for the community..
    I, too, would be interested in having these files. Perhaps you could just post the links you received and we can download them ourselves from SIBO?

Thanks
    Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

I apologize for the delayed response. We've had connectivity issues at the house for most of the day and it delayed me getting a response out. I've added the files to my Dropbox account and they can be accessed with this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wxe1l00fy00wneg/QczMDDcAxh

Note that I posted the unzipped re-flash files in the Dropbox folder rather than the .rar file. I also took the liberty of creating some instructions that you all might find helpful. Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Comment

Worked Perfect! My second screen is fully functional again.
        Thank you sir!

Comment

Glad to hear that folks are finding this fix useful. The Build Version is slightly different and I like the overall look and feel of the main page. I'm thinking that I'll probably re-flash my other screens just to get them all on the same page so to speak.

Does anyone know the folks at HST well enough to approach them about hosting these files on their FTP site? I certainly don't mind keeping them on my Dropbox account for a while longer, but I'd eventually like to get them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Techvet View Post
            So this past weekend, I noticed one of my IWAC7 screens wasn't doing its automatic dimming thing. I rebooted the screen only to see it hang after the ANDROID logo did his Ice Cream Sandwich animation. I tried rebooting several times with different power hook-ups only to get to the same point. I figured the firmware might have been corrupted and since the screen was still under warranty I submitted a help desk ticket. HS responded quickly and said they no longer stock the screen (something I already knew) and that they did not have a repair procedure. They offered to send me an open box test unit or a gift certificate for use in the HS store. I needed something to fill the hole in the wall left by the non-operating screen so I had decided to opt for the open box tester. It wasn't the solution I had hoped for, but it seemed the best option.

I had searched the internet for how to re-flash firmware for an in-wall Android touchscreen with no results, but I did come across the SIBO company (the manufacturer of these units) and a way to contact them via e-mail. So, I submitted an e-mail to them inquiring about the firmware files and a re-flash procedure. To my surprise I received a reply well within 24 hours that included a link to the firmware files and the procedure for the re-flash. I'm happy to say that the re-flash procedure worked and my screen is once again 100% functional. It took me some time to reload the HS Touch app and I had to go back and ask SIBO for the Custom SIBO app that auto-loads HS Touch, but now that I have everything I'm pretty sure I could easily rebuild an entire screen in 15 minutes or less. I'd like to point out that the contact at SIBO (Suri) has been exceptionally helpful with lightning fast responses. I am VERY impressed!!

The firmware files and required apps are too large to attach here, so I'm open to ideas on how best to post them for the community. I have e-mailed HS Tech Support about what I've done, but I don't know if they are willing to host the files in their download section.

For the re-flash, you'll need an empty micro SD card. Unzip the contents of .rar zip file containing the firmware to the root directory of the SD card. You should have a script file and a directory full of stuff when this is done. Power off the device and insert the micro SD card into the slot on the side, then power up the unit. It'll automatically execute the re-flash. Once the re-flash is complete, you'll be prompted to remove the micro SD card and the device will reboot. After the initial configuration steps, you can reinstall HS touch, but just make sure you have the latest version. The one in the Google Play store is a bit outdated. Once HS Touch app is installed, reconfigure it and the rest of the screen settings. Your last act will be to install the Custom SIBO app (which requires no configuration) and you are done.

If anyone finds that their IWAC7 units start experiencing problems, then a re-flash might be the way to go. This is a seriously simple procedure that can breath new life into a seemingly dead touchscreen.
            Can you confirm please that this re-flash procedure and firmware will also work with the IWAR7 (the 800Mhz model)? I've tried, but gets stuck at the "load and run new uboot first" on the touchscreen.

Comment

Does anyone know the folks at HST well enough to approach them about hosting these files on their FTP site? I certainly don't mind keeping them on my Dropbox account for a while longer, but I'd eventually like to get them off.
              I have to call Mark this week and can mention this. I thought it was already on the HS FTP site.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

James,

Spoke with Mark this morning regarding image for IWAC07. He said anyone wanting support or the image to contact HST to get it.

The above noted do you have the image for the first HS offered in wall resistive Android device?

Personally here I have one of those and there are a few folks here that had purchased said device that would like to restore it to original.

Here I have mine working with a rooted and different Android image and would like a copy of the original image.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

Thanks for the update. I'll pull the files off my Dropbox account over the weekend. I do NOT have the flash files for the older resistive screen unit. I'm not sure who made those, but I'm sure someone can sleuth around like I did and come up with the manufacturer. Tracking them down and getting the files is another matter. If it is the same company that made these more recent screens, then I would imagine that they'd be quite helpful.

James

Comment

Thank you! Just had this problem this morning and you saved my bacon!

Comment

Thanks for the files

I was having this problem with my touchscreen and figured I was going to have to buy a replacement second-hand device. I was searching the forums to see if someone might have one posted for sale and found this thread. See that the files are still on your dropbox and just grabbed a copy. Now off to see if these fix my problem. I'll loop back here and let you know the results.

Thanks as I think my bacon is saved as well.

Comment

Wahoo!!

It WORKED!

Once I flashed the displays and reconfigured/reloaded them with the appropriate software and screens for my installation, everything is working great. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

The new image is slightly newer than the one I had originally on my touchscreens. Here is the before and after (pulled BEFORE numbers off of a working device).

BEFORE:
                        Android OS: 4.0
                        Kernel: 3.0.8
                        Build Number: 1.5.2

AFTER:
                        Android OS: 4.0
                        Kernel: 3.0.8
                        Build Number: 1.5.5

I also noticed the difference in the Home Screen setup. Ends up I had two non-functional touchscreens. One in my GameRoom (knew about this one) and one in my Equipment Room (had forgotten about that one). This procedure fixed both of them. The other two I had in my Master Bedroom and in my Great Room were still working from the original delivery.

So, I will run with the new builds on those two for awhile and if I don't have any issues, I will likely reflash my other two touchscreens to get them all up to build 1.5.5.

James, can't thank you enough for the files and the instructions. Really made my day!!

Comment

All Done

Both of the updated TouchScreens have been running flawlessly with no problems for 2 months so went ahead and updated my other two panels tonight. Worked for both of them without a hitch as well. Thanks again for the files and the instructions!!

Comment

IWAR7 flash files??

Don't guess anyone ever were able to locate the flash files for the older IWAR7 resistive panels? I still have few of those I would like to reflash if anyone has the files.

Comment

Hi guys, sorry for resurrecting this older thread.

So what do you do if the tablet doesn't auto start the flash and is stuck in the android ICS screen?
                              -Skybolt

Comment

Working...
                              X