Device names not created correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device names not created correctly

I started to setup the connected home API, and started with my office. I have one light named (floor) Main Floor (room) Office (name) Light. I instructed Alexa to find my devices and it found the office light but named it simply "Light". I need the room name as part of the device name (since I have 54 other lights to eventually add) so I created a couple fake devices, one named "Light" and another named "Lights" so that it'll force the real light devices to prepend the room name.

I instructed Alexa to find devices again and this is what it found:
    Light
    Lights
    Main Floor Light

"Main Floor Light" should have been named "Office Light". Do I have the room/floor switched around on all my devices? Or is it not correctly naming my devices?

I have location named Room and location2 named Floor

I also have Location 1=Room and Location 2=Floor. That said, under Setup and Custom do you have "Display Location 1 First" ticked? It shouldn't matter in thought but programmatically it could be an oversight of it didn't work because it is selected. Mine is not checked as it isn't my preference.

-Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Daweeze View Post
      I also have Location 1=Room and Location 2=Floor. That said, under Setup and Custom do you have "Display Location 1 First" ticked? It shouldn't matter in thought but programmatically it could be an oversight of it didn't work because it is selected. Mine is not checked as it isn't my preference.

-Travis
      Location 1 was ticked. I unticked it and now the echo appears to create the device name correctly. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
        Location 1 was ticked. I unticked it and now the echo appears to create the device name correctly. Thanks!
        Great! Glad that worked. I am not sure that's the way HS wants the device list import for the API to work though since a visual list preference doesn't mean it has to be the same as the voice preference. Rich, any comment?

-Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Daweeze View Post
          Great! Glad that worked. I am not sure that's the way HS wants the device list import for the API to work though since a visual list preference doesn't mean it has to be the same as the voice preference. Rich, any comment?

-Travis
          Agreed. I'm not even sure what the default is, for I don't remember changing that (I don't think I was even aware of that setting). But maybe I did change that at some point.

Either way, if that's intentional, it should probably be part of the instructions.

Comment

Working...
          X