HomeSeer Web Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer Web Tutorial

I want to customize my webpage for homeseer and i have read alot of threads to get the idea of how to customize my own site. I have HTML and PHP experience along with java programming VB Programming and JavaScript. But from reading i have gathered that the mainpage of homeseer web control is generated dynamically by homeseer.

Is it possible for me to run another web server such as apache and still be able to control homeseer from the web? Or do i have to use homeseers web server?

Also i am confused about what file i need to edit and what changes i need to make to homeseer to get my custom webpage running as the default page.

Last i am not familiar with ASP and was wondering if there are any good tutprials that relate ASP to homeseer?

If not than would someon consider creating a tutorial for the very begginers teaching them how to make a webpage the interacts with homeseer.

The reason i want to use another webserver is so that i can use PHP which i am aready familiar with to run databases and other features such as PHP message boards other stuff.

Also i noticed that when i try and connect remotly from homeseer from the internet that my server is very slow and it take for ever for the pages to load and refresh. So i was wondering if i could use a third party webserver and still be able to control homeseer?

Is there any graphical editor like FrontPage 2000 that will allow me to edit homeseer webpages easily?

R/C Heli's (NEWB)
    Home Automation (NEWB)

Squintz,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Squintz writes:
    Is it possible for me to run another web server such as apache and still be able to control homeseer from the web? Or do i have to use homeseers web server?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Many users use Apache or IIS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Squintz writes:
    Also i am confused about what file i need to edit and what changes i need to make to homeseer to get my custom webpage running as the default page.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goto View--&gt;Options--&gt;
    Select the "Web Server" tab
    hit "Customize Web site..."
    Enter the title and URL for Page 1
    Check the first checkbox (Page 1 displays first...)

Last i am not familiar with ASP and was wondering if there are any good tutprials that relate ASP to homeseer?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a link to the ASP commands that are supported:
    Controlling HomeSeer using ASP pages

The reason i want to use another webserver is so that i can use PHP which i am aready familiar with to run databases and other features such as PHP message boards other stuff.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Running PHP is also possible with HS if you would like to. Here is a link to the free plug-in for that. Sroll down to about the middle of the page for the plug-in attachment.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...615#4736014615

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Joe
    HomeSeer Rocks!

Comment

Thanx for the good reply

R/C Heli's (NEWB)
      Home Automation (NEWB)

Comment

I looked at the ASP link that you posted and I am still very confused. Will someone please take a day and write up a good step by step tutorial showing how to make a custom page for homeseer?

R/C Heli's (NEWB)
        Home Automation (NEWB)

Comment

Squintz,
          Take a look at:
          DevGuru Built-in ASP Objects Quick Reference
          and
          ASP Index

I also just started using ASP, and this site was a big help in getting me up to speed. Iam now working on my custom Status page to mirror HomeSeer's with filters and multi column sorting. I should be ready to go live next week if I find the time.

I'll keep you posted.

Steven

Comment

I jumped the gun a little and decided to post a work in progress.

Take a look at:
            My other post
            And let me know if this would be of help.

Steven

Comment

Working...
            X